Bug? Key went missing...

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
ByFstugan

Bug? Key went missing...

Post by ByFstugan »

I just finished Keelbreach Bog and got the key from the secret room in Herder's Den and now when I'm about to unlock the Hub portal the key is simply gone?!?! I've went back and looked for it, and it's not where it was from start, and I don't find it on the ground neither in Herder's Den or in Keelbreach Bog area.

Frogs several times took my swords, shields and wands, but those dropped back as soon as I killed them. Is it possible the key went missing due to frogs? Or is it a bug? Anyone else had this (or similar) problem?
Isaac

Re: Bug? Key went missing...

Post by Isaac »

Open the console, and paste in the following: (then press Enter)

Code: Select all

print(nexus_key_3.x,nexus_key_3.y, nexus_key_3.level)
If it's on the world map, it should print where.

*I'm not sure if Console use affects Steam Achievements. You might want to save your game first, then use the console for the answer, then reload. :?

**The Console hotkey is the backslash, usually between the Backspace and Enter keys. Console must be enabled in grimrock.cfg, in the LoG2 folder, in the Almost Human folder, in your documents folder.
In the options section ensure the following exists:
console = true
consoleKey = 220
ByFstugan

Post by ByFstugan »

Isaac wrote:Open the console, and paste in the following: (then press Enter)

*I'm not sure if Console use affects Steam Achievements. You might want to save your game first, then use the console for the answer, then reload. :?

**The Console hotkey is the backslash, usually between the Backspace and Enter keys. Console must be enabled in grimrock.cfg, in the LoG2 folder, in the Almost Human folder, in your documents folder.
console = true
consoleKey = 220
I play on PC via steam, I doubt that would work?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

ByFstugan wrote:
Isaac wrote:Open the console, and paste in the following: (then press Enter)

console = true
consoleKey = 220
I play on PC via steam, I doubt that would work?
It's designed to work that way. Steam or not, the instructions would be the same. The only difference is that Steam tracks achievements, and it may be that using the console will affect (disqualify) further achievements in the session. (You'd have to ask a Steam player ~here). That's why I suggested saving the game first, then using the console to find out if it's laying on the world map, and then reload (perhaps with the console deactivated again?). This way as far as the session is concerned, the console was never used. [The console is the biggest cheat tool, so I would not be surprised if they dislike its use while tracking achievements.]

*The above instructions won't find it if it's in a sack, chest, or toad. If that is the case, then it will print 'nil'.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Console usage doesn't affect achievements.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
ByFstugan

Post by ByFstugan »

Isaac wrote:It's designed to work that way. Steam or not, the instructions would be the same. The only difference is that Steam tracks achievements, and it may be that using the console will affect (disqualify) further achievements in the session. (You'd have to ask a Steam player ~here). That's why I suggested saving the game first, then using the console to find out if it's laying on the world map, and then reload (perhaps with the console deactivated again?). This way as far as the session is concerned, the console was never used. [The console is the biggest cheat tool, so I would not be surprised if they dislike its use while tracking achievements.]

*The above instructions won't find it if it's in a sack, chest, or toad. If that is the case, then it will print 'nil'.
And then I wonder - how do I "open the console"? :D
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

The Console hotkey is the backslash, usually between the Backspace and Enter keys. Console must be enabled in grimrock.cfg, in the LoG2 folder, in the Almost Human folder, in your documents folder.
Open grimrock.cfg in Windows Notepad [text editor].
console = true
consoleKey = 220

Save the file if you make changes to it.

After that, run the game, and press the backslash key. The console appears in the upper left of the screen.
ByFstugan

Post by ByFstugan »

Isaac wrote:The Console hotkey is the backslash, usually between the Backspace and Enter keys. Console must be enabled in grimrock.cfg, in the LoG2 folder, in the Almost Human folder, in your documents folder.
Open grimrock.cfg in Windows Notepad [text editor].
console = true
consoleKey = 220

Save the file if you make changes to it.

After that, run the game, and press the backslash key. The console appears in the upper left of the screen.
Thx, will try that when I get home.
ByFstugan

Post by ByFstugan »

Isaac wrote:It's designed to work that way. Steam or not, the instructions would be the same. The only difference is that Steam tracks achievements, and it may be that using the console will affect (disqualify) further achievements in the session. (You'd have to ask a Steam player ~here). That's why I suggested saving the game first, then using the console to find out if it's laying on the world map, and then reload (perhaps with the console deactivated again?). This way as far as the session is concerned, the console was never used. [The console is the biggest cheat tool, so I would not be surprised if they dislike its use while tracking achievements.]

I got a nil value :(

But I killed all frogs (Can they even take other things in inventory?) and didn't see any key on ground - and it can't be due to the nil value. Can frog steal things that don't loot?

EDIT:
I found some other thread with cheats via console - how would I type if I don't wanna cheat, but wanna get the Nexus key that's disappeared? spawn("nexus_key") don't work.
Last edited by ByFstugan on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Did you check all your containers and alternate weapons slots?