Disappointed

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
gh0stwizard

Disappointed

Post by gh0stwizard »

I'll be short. I like LoG 1 because it is simple, funny and easy. But LoG 2...
  • Is this Skyrim? Ok.
  • Not well optimized? Ok.
  • Complex skill tree? Ok.
  • Normal diffuculty is like Hard one in LoG 1? Ok.
  • Borring swimming? Ok.
  • Guns? Guns?! Ok.
  • Invincible monsters? WTF!?

I can't kill them. There are 2-3 flies around near Temple... Sorry, deinstall. I'm wish to keep my nervs for another games.

*sarcasm* Is LoG 3 be like MMO? You are made all steps to do this :lol:
THOM

Re: Disappointed

Post by THOM »

Not invincible. But a hard opponent. It's a kind of a puzzle to find a device against this.
THOM formaly known as tschrage
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

:lol:

LoG 2 air elementals can be killed in four (4) different ways and two are even specifically designed to deal with them.
minmay

Post by minmay »

It's not invincible, it can be damaged by the Dispel spell and Ethereal Blade, or killed by teleporting into it or falling on top of it.
gh0stwizard wrote:[*]Not well optimized? Ok.
lol, you really think Grimrock 1 was optimized better? I don't think you've tried rendering the same scene in both games. Grimrock 1 didn't even have working occlusion for light sources other than torches...
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
gh0stwizard

Post by gh0stwizard »

THOM wrote:Not invincible. But a hard opponent. It's a kind of a puzzle to find a device against this.
Yes, I understand this. Where is a plot? Where is a logic? It was really hard to kill the [last] boss in LoG 1. And there was everything clearly. But here, in LoG 2, how this can be happened? Just, WTF going on.

After playing in LoG 2 I've one question: why this "funny jokes" does not deal insta-kill? It will be much simpler. I've "killed" Trickster in sewers, bam, insta-kill from fire beetles! Was this fun? No. Because until then I've deal with Trickster with 1 guy, others just dead, I was blinded due fireboms. It was cool, funny. And what was later? After save/load I've "killed" Trickster again with full party, perfect victory. And this was not fun. And looks like whole game creates such "jokes".
gh0stwizard

Post by gh0stwizard »

minmay wrote:
gh0stwizard wrote:[*]Not well optimized? Ok.
lol, you really think Grimrock 1 was optimized better? I don't think you've tried rendering the same scene in both games. Grimrock 1 didn't even have working occlusion for light sources other than torches...
The problem of LoG 2 is real time rendering of whole world. A huge map with lot's of trees, mobs, and buildings. Actually, it is not a problem of optimization, because main problem is developer's choice. But, for LoG 1 such decision was more-less good, because there are no hundreds of trees and hundrends of shadows in real time for them.

And due the fact that LoG was created not by Bethesda/Bioware/etc I accept this decision. Meantime, instead of creating 3 large maps there is a way to create 10 maps with less level of details.

Anyway, this topic is not about optimizations.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

gh0stwizard wrote:
THOM wrote:Not invincible. But a hard opponent. It's a kind of a puzzle to find a device against this.
Yes, I understand this. Where is a plot? Where is a logic?
What logic would allow a creature made of air to be injured by conventional weapons? (...even really sharp ones.) It's not something they are equipped to handle (until they are); they are supposed to avoid it if it's too tough.
And due the fact that LoG was created not by Bethesda/Bioware/etc I accept this decision. Meantime, instead of creating 3 large maps there is a way to create 10 maps with less level of details.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but of mapping, it is easy to make simple maps, be it ten or an hundred. The trees are optional.
gh0stwizard

Post by gh0stwizard »

Isaac wrote:
gh0stwizard wrote:
Yes, I understand this. Where is a plot? Where is a logic?
What logic would allow a creature made of air to be injured by conventional weapons? (...even really sharp ones.) It's not something they are equipped to handle (until they are); they are supposed to avoid it if it's too tough.
My magician have 5 points in air magic skill, 3 points in concentration. I am dealing a green damage (idk what it is), and I've dealt around 1k+ dmg and still this creature is alive. This is just a mob, and not a boss, like was in LoG 1 where you have to find some special weapon to kill it. Implementing of such mobs is just overkill, the game is already a hardcore. There is no logic. I've found a scroll with dispell smth, special spell for elementals. But I do not want to waste skill points in Water magic (correct me if I am wrong).
Isaac wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but of mapping, it is easy to make simple maps, be it ten or an hundred. The trees are optional.
Better to create 10-20 small maps. Because a player only see 10% of all trees at the time. No, currently this looks very cool, but what a point if the game is not running smoothly? Let's close this question, there is a special thread about optimizations.
minmay

Post by minmay »

If the damage text appears in green it means the attack is healing the monster instead of damaging it. The monster in question (air elemental) is immune to all damage except dispel (Dispel spell and the Ethereal Blade); shock damage heals it.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

gh0stwizard wrote:There is no logic. I've found a scroll with dispell smth, special spell for elementals. But I do not want to waste skill points in Water magic (correct me if I am wrong).
wrong in so many ways ..

You
- found the Dispel spell scroll that deals with elementals
- deliberatly choose to ignore it
- kept ignoring it after facing air elementals

Regarding logic: assigning a single skill point that allows your spellcaster to deal with an otherwise untouchable foe is no waste.