Linux version?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
nattydread
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Linux version?

Post by nattydread » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:40 pm

I'm really enjoying Legend of Grimrock 1, but nearing the end of it.
Is there also a linux port of Legend of Grimrock 2 coming soon?

User avatar
petri
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Linux version?

Post by petri » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:54 pm

At the moment Linux version of Grimrock 2 is not planned, simply because we don't have the manpower to give it the attention it deserves.

nattydread
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Re: Linux version?

Post by nattydread » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:01 pm

well I'll definitely buy it if you do. Keep up the good work!

DHalfHorned
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:46 am

Re: Linux version?

Post by DHalfHorned » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:52 pm

petri wrote:At the moment Linux version of Grimrock 2 is not planned, simply because we don't have the manpower to give it the attention it deserves.
If I may put it bluntly so, what are the chances of it being ported the same way Grimrock 1 did? I've played the first on Linux quite a lot and haven't noticed any issues.

2union
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:34 am

Re: Linux version?

Post by 2union » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:36 am

Then you interrupted a series for Linux users, who helped you on Kickstarter for first part? I'm think, are you worst ever developers.

User avatar
petri
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Linux version?

Post by petri » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:35 pm

2union wrote:Then you interrupted a series for Linux users, who helped you on Kickstarter for first part? I'm think, are you worst ever developers.
The FInnish law forbids any type of crowd funding, so Legend of Grimrock has not been funded by a Kickstarter campaign. Both Grimrock 1 and 2 are 100% self-funded.

User avatar
Isaac
Posts: 2954
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Linux version?

Post by Isaac » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Is there a reason that Wine is not [or should not] be an option? I haven't used Wine in years, but would performance be less (or that much less) than native speed?

*I mean User initiative; not a turn-key product like Loki may have done.

User avatar
afettouhi
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Contact:

Re: Linux version?

Post by afettouhi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:55 am

petri wrote:At the moment Linux version of Grimrock 2 is not planned, simply because we don't have the manpower to give it the attention it deserves.
How was Grimrock 1 ported Linux? Was that a inhouse job or did you use HIB guys? Could that be an option for the LoG 2 Linux version or someone from the community?

DHalfHorned
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:46 am

Re: Linux version?

Post by DHalfHorned » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Isaac wrote:Is there a reason that Wine is not [or should not] be an option? I haven't used Wine in years, but would performance be less (or that much less) than native speed?

*I mean User initiative; not a turn-key product like Loki may have done.
Despite the fact Grimrock 2 works ok in Wine, it shouldn't even be considered to wrap the game this way for Linux users, personally I would despise such a choice and would deem it a waste of time and money on the devs side, since most Linux users know how to do this themselves.

My guess is that Almost Human may not be very experienced in developing for Linux and the reason the first game has a native Linux port is because it was required to be included in a Humble Bundle. Most probably it was someone at HB that ported the game as well.

badhabit
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Linux version?

Post by badhabit » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:05 pm

DHalfHorned wrote:
Isaac wrote:Is there a reason that Wine is not [or should not] be an option? I haven't used Wine in years, but would performance be less (or that much less) than native speed?

*I mean User initiative; not a turn-key product like Loki may have done.
Despite the fact Grimrock 2 works ok in Wine, it shouldn't even be considered to wrap the game this way for Linux users, personally I would despise such a choice and would deem it a waste of time and money on the devs side, since most Linux users know how to do this themselves.
ah, the common complaint about non-native ports... elitists! ;)

Infact, wine ports are a (maybe THE) reasonable solution, limited work and stable API. Breaks not as often as native ports.

Also, the linux ecosystem should confess that something like the win32/DX API is missing for years now and should just adopt & accept the windows one... (as they were unable to develop an accepted substitute )

Post Reply