Grimrock 2 Beta 2.2.4

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Grimrock 2 Beta 2.2.4

Post by Dr.Disaster »

It's -2 fps with Apple's GPU driver everywhere except for the Forgotten River's west entrance; that for some strange reason is nailed to 30 fps.

I think a real Mac will also benefit from using nVidia's drivers. In addition they allow a GPU upgrade beyond anything supported by native OSX drivers or sold by Apple.
petri

Post by petri »

Just for future reference, frame rate is a really terrible performance metric because it is non-linear. E.g. from 20fps to 30 fps, frame rendering time changes from 50ms to 33ms (saving of 17ms!), but from 60fps to 70fps the frame rendering time changes only about 2.4ms (from ~16.7ms to ~14.2ms). So achieving 10fps increase from 20fps to 30fps requires a huge effort of optimizations or much faster hardware (17ms), while similar increase in fps from 60fps to 70fps needs only 2.4ms worth of optimizations or a little bit faster hardware. x7 difference!

Therefore the only sensible way is to measure milliseconds.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

petri wrote: - added new scripting functions: Map:getLevel(), ItemComponent:throwItem(dir, power), ItemComponent:land(), Component:getName(), Component:getClass()
What is "ItemComponent:land()" for?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

It's true Petri, both hardware and software matter. Just got reminded on that today after upgrading the Win7 nVidia driver from 344.75 to 347.52: LoG2 sees a gain of 1 to 2 frames everywhere with the same driver settings and render options. This actually tempts me to check if Yosemite does better than Mountain Lion.
petri

Post by petri »

Zo Kath Ra wrote: What is "ItemComponent:land()" for?
When called on a flying item, it stops flying immediately and falls to ground.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Can or should I upgrade my Nvidia Geforce 755M Mac driver and how to revert back to the previous one? On OS X 1010.2 Graphics ROM revision says 3782. Is that an equivalent of the 348.xx PC driver? And does 10.10.3 has a driver update?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Frenchie wrote:Can or should I upgrade my Nvidia Geforce 755M Mac driver and how to revert back to the previous one? On OS X 1010.2 Graphics ROM revision says 3782. Is that an equivalent of the 348.xx PC driver? And does 10.10.3 has a driver update?
I can't speak for nVidia's M-series but reverting back and forth is easy for their regular cards: go into system settings, open nVidia's driver tool there, select which driver you want to use (original OSX or nVidia), reboot and you are done. I wish it would work that simple on Windows ..

There is no 10.10.3 yet so ..
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I can't speak for nVidia's M-series but reverting back and forth is easy for their regular cards: go into system settings, open nVidia's driver tool there, select which driver you want to use (original OSX or nVidia), reboot and you are done. I wish it would work that simple on Windows ..
There is no Nvidia driver tool on my Mac
There is no 10.10.3 yet so ..
John has a developer's OS X 10.10.3, so I expect it to come out soon...

It's been a week since the last update, but how is the Mac beta doing? Is there any target date to bring out the alpha or are you secretly planning a Mac-to-Linux port to be released at the same time?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Frenchie wrote:
There is no Nvidia driver tool on my Mac
Once you installed nVidia's drivers from their website you'll see it inside the "System Preference" menu.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Okay, but coming back to my original question : Can or should I upgrade my Nvidia Geforce 755M Mac driver?

Also I couldn't find any Mac driver software at Nvidia. Every Windows, Linux, Solaris and BSD operating system is mentioned but no OS X. Only Mac cuda drivers...

For those Mac users that had Mac drivers and had benefits from driver updates please tell me. I rather not mess with it if it a Mac update does it automatically for me or if it doesn't do much for performance. Perhaps OS X 10.10.3 will have the latest official Nvidia driver already. (I rather not install beta drivers)