Small suggestion: numbers on health/mana bars

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
eLPuSHeR

Small suggestion: numbers on health/mana bars

Post by eLPuSHeR »

Hello.

I think it would be nice if there was be an option to toggle numeric values on top of health/mana bars.

E.g. =========45===========
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
Frenchie

Re: Small suggestion: numbers on health/mana bars

Post by Frenchie »

I think it would be nice if there was be an option to toggle numeric values on top of health/mana bars.
Especially for mobs giving real insight if your visible damage is actually hurting the mob. Better would be a scalable interface so people with a large screen can have a bigger one in high resolution.
Firia

Post by Firia »

I second this. Maybe not on the monsters themselves, but at least allow figures to pop up if you mouse over the health bar. That'd be nice. :)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Frenchie wrote:Especially for mobs giving real insight if your visible damage is actually hurting the mob. Better would be a scalable interface so people with a large screen can have a bigger one in high resolution.
You can already see if you are hurting a mob. Any applied damage is displayed right over the monster.

The applied damage of a white zero means "no damage taken" a.k.a. immunity.
An applied damage of white non-zero numbers means regular damage.
An applied damage in red numbers means huge damage due to vulnerability.
An applied damage in green numbers means damage absorbed a.k.a. healing.
Rithrin

Post by Rithrin »

Agree with numbers (optionally enabled, of course) over character health and energy bars, which would be a real quality of life improvement. How many times have I had to check the character screen to see if they had enough energy for a Fireball?

But over monster HP bars? That gives away a little too much precise information, I think.
Rya.Reisender

Post by Rya.Reisender »

Damage of melee attacks is displayed on the interface which is great but damage of ranged attacks and spells doesn't seem to be. And you have to focus your eyes on the interface because you need to click there so you can't just look above the monster to see your damage.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Rya.Reisender wrote:Damage of melee attacks is displayed on the interface which is great but damage of ranged attacks and spells doesn't seem to be. And you have to focus your eyes on the interface because you need to click there so you can't just look above the monster to see your damage.
The damage displayed on the interface is actually irrelevant because it does not take into account Protection, Evasion, resistances and other equations that might apply i.e. level difference. What matters is the actually applied damage so yes you have to keep your eyes on the target to see what your attack does .. or does not.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Frenchie: Especially for mobs giving real insight if your visible damage is actually hurting the mob.
Dr. Disaster: An applied damage of white non-zero numbers means regular damage.
Dr. Disaster: What matters is the actually applied damage
In a LoG1 mod I fought a mob with lots white numbers (regular damage), but no matter what the mob didn't die (no applied damage). With a small health bar it is very difficult to see if your attack has any effect. Therefore the suggestion to have numbers (mouse-over) visible on the mob health bar is very welcome to me. Make it an interface option! A hud warning that your attack has no applied damage is also desired.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Frenchie wrote:In a LoG1 mod I fought a mob with lots white numbers (regular damage), but no matter what the mob didn't die (no applied damage).
We are not talking about LoG 1, especialy mods where you can do all kinds of stuff. A modder can give a mob insane amounts of hit points so it seems unbeatable. When this is the case a good mod creator usually has something different in mind then the party simply fighting a fight that takes ages to finish.

Frenchie wrote:A hud warning that your attack has no applied damage is also desired.
It is already there:
Dr. Disaster wrote:The applied damage of a white zero means "no damage taken" a.k.a. immunity.
Frenchie wrote:Therefore the suggestion to have numbers (mouse-over) visible on the mob health bar is very welcome to me.
I think you miss-read the suggestion made here. It is not about a mob's (to be more precise: boss) health bar enhancement.
eLPuSHeR

Post by eLPuSHeR »

Dr. Disaster is right. I wasn't talking about mob/boss HP bar. I am talking about your chars health/energy bars. That way it would be real easy to figure out if you have enough remaining energy to perform an special attack, etc...
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)