Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
badhabit
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by badhabit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:01 pm

petri wrote:Fogging / blurring does not help at all with clear sky conditions.
This is incorrect, there are many examples of useful distance blurring, distance fog or depth of field filters/shaders also for clear sky conditions e.g. from the modding domain this or this.

Or this nice youtube video about even dynamic DoF in Skyrim

Image (distance fogging to "blue" http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8707/?)

User avatar
petri
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by petri » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Ehhh... no.

User avatar
JohnWordsworth
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: Devon, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by JohnWordsworth » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:19 pm

LOL.

In response to your original question @petri: I personally feel that Draw Distance should be an option only available in the cfg file. The one or two parts which I teleported to with low draw distance looked fairly bad. The approach to the tower for the first time was an awesome moment when I played originally, and it's kinda ruined when it just pops in and you can see sky through the courtyard gates.

HOWEVER, I like the fact that you have implemented it because if I only had a 5 year old machine, I would rather play the game that way than not at all. Hence, I think it''s good to have as an option in the CFG file, but not one that most players would tweak in the settings.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.

badhabit
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by badhabit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:21 pm

petri wrote:Ehhh... no.
Would you care to elaborate? Not your piece of cake or style? Technical too demanding? Takes too much computational resources?

This looks like from the outside like an acceptable solution for the "distance clipped castle problem", I don't see your point.
JohnWordsworth wrote: and it's kinda ruined when it just pops in and you can see sky through the courtyard gates
Agreed this is ugly. But the solution can't be here removing a useful option because of 1-2 situations in the game. Infact, the majesty and size of the castle would be even intensified by a blue blurring/defocussing, hinting to the players the size (drawing a association with the "blueing" of mountain panoramas in far distance).
JohnWordsworth wrote: but not one that most players would tweak in the settings.
Well, it was one of your results that this option brought an serious performance kick, so the chance is good that many low spec players would like to change this option. "I switched Draw Distance to low in High Rendering mode, which made a good difference in the outside areas like the river (+5 fps or so). "
Last edited by badhabit on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
petri
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by petri » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:39 pm

badhabit wrote:Would you care to elaborate?
It is fairly obvious that no amount of blurring help if half of scene contents is missing. There are a lot of places in Grimrock where long draw distances are needed, for example in desert, lake, forgotten river and hamlet levels.

User avatar
petri
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by petri » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:41 pm

JohnWordsworth wrote:In response to your original question @petri: I personally feel that Draw Distance should be an option only available in the cfg file. The one or two parts which I teleported to with low draw distance looked fairly bad. The approach to the tower for the first time was an awesome moment when I played originally, and it's kinda ruined when it just pops in and you can see sky through the courtyard gates.

HOWEVER, I like the fact that you have implemented it because if I only had a 5 year old machine, I would rather play the game that way than not at all. Hence, I think it''s good to have as an option in the CFG file, but not one that most players would tweak in the settings.
Thanks for the feedback! This is my impression too.

User avatar
petri
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by petri » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:43 pm

badhabit wrote:it was one your results that this option brought an serious performance kick
So is removing textures, or normal mapping, or dynamic lightning, or water. None of which really work.

badhabit
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by badhabit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:45 pm

petri wrote:
badhabit wrote:Would you care to elaborate?
It is fairly obvious that no amount of blurring help if half of scene contents is missing. There are a lot of places in Grimrock where long draw distances are needed, for example in desert, lake, forgotten river and hamlet levels.
Well, this is the general non-avoidable trade-of of shorter draw distances... content is missing. So you think now on removing this option overall? I was thinking we talk here about minimizing the negative impact. For instance, the case described by John "Seeing the sky through the gate of the castle looks awkward" would be "fixed" by blurring/washing away the visibility of this detailed artifact.

badhabit
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by badhabit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:48 pm

petri wrote:
badhabit wrote:it was one your results that this option brought an serious performance kick
So is removing textures, or normal mapping, or dynamic lightning, or water. None of which really work.
I'm not sure in which dimension you here mean "didn't work", but draw distance works in trading of graphical fidelity for performance.

User avatar
Dr.Disaster
Posts: 2845
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by Dr.Disaster » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:02 pm

petri wrote:
badhabit wrote:it was one your results that this option brought an serious performance kick
So is removing textures, or normal mapping, or dynamic lightning, or water. None of which really work.
Just had an idea (dunno if it's possible)
How about replacing the current distance parameter at which clipping happens with a switch into low rendering low texture mode; maybe even with some blur added on top?

Post Reply