Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Frenchie

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by Frenchie »

Antti: We use Steam for beta testing mainly for its convenience
John: Has anyone else managed to get this to work?
Guess, that Steam is part of testing as well... I can understand Steam - when working properly - is great for beta testing. I installed Steam for the Mac and I have Legends of Grimrock 2 on my wishlist. Since it's not in the Games list it won't offer the Beta tab. Too bad as I and others would have loved to test it. Now it looks like only Petri and John are testing it. Of course you don't want to offer the beta to everyone, but a pre-order at the full or half price of the game (personally I rather have a non-Steam game) when the game is available.

Nevermind, at the moment I have limited internet not suited for downloading. The media company for unlimited internet hanged up some cables yesterday... [ update: Unlimted internet is available now ]

Will the game support other input devices later like a touchpad? I still use a Z-Board Fang PC for WASD movement with my right hand (the only true keypad for right-handers). I use magic mouse with left hand with 'buttons' switched. I can also mouse right-handed when I get RSI symptons.
btw. Antti is leaving tomorrow to Thailand
Great, one of my clients is an Indonesian tourist agency for Thailand. I made a lot or billboards, brochures, print ads etc. for the country. I recently did one for Hat Yai (Songkhla, Satun and Trang). The country is known for its sex industry in places like Pattaya, but I have seen so many nice places I want to go there myself with my wife. And since 2012 Google has street views there.
Last edited by Frenchie on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoalWhite

Post by CoalWhite »

Cheers.

I signed up just to post how it goes, but decided to make a Steam thread for it. Hope that's alright: http://steamcommunity.com/app/251730/di ... 756557623/

I did not post the password for the Beta there as I hadn't cleared that with you devs yet, you'll let me know if you want it on there.

No idea how to check FPS; any hints on that would be swell.
Last edited by CoalWhite on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Hey CoalWhite: You can turn on debugInfo (which includes FPS) when playing through the game by doing the following.

1. If you haven't already done so, then you will first need to unhide your "Library" folder where applications store their config files and the like.

a. Launch a Terminal and type...
> chflags nohidden ~/Library/
b. Press enter. From now, you should see a folder called "Library" in your home directory when using Finder.

2. Navigate to <User Directory>/Library/Application Support/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock 2/

3. Open the file grimrock.cfg

4. Change the line "debugInfo = false" to "debugInfo = true"

From now on, whenever you are in the game (not the title screen) then you will see some numbers in the bottom corner of the screen. They include your FPS.
Last edited by JohnWordsworth on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

b. Press enter. From now, you should see a folder called "Library" in your home directory when using Finder.
John, there is a much simpler way to get to the Library folder : in finder click 'Go' and press and hold the Option key.

For LoG1 it was ..\Application Support\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock. Did it change for LoG2?
Last edited by Frenchie on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CoalWhite

Post by CoalWhite »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Hey CoalWhite: You can turn on debugInfo (which includes FPS) when playing through the game by doing the following.

1. If you haven't already done so, then you will first need to unhide your "Library" folder where applications store their config files and the like.

2. Navigate to <User Directory>/Library/Application Support/Legend of Grimrock 2/

3. Open the file grimrock.cfg

4. Change the line "debugInfo = false" to "debugInfo = true"

From now on, whenever you are in the game (not the title screen) then you will see some numbers in the bottom corner of the screen. They include your FPS.

Cheers. I'm already using nohidden, so that's fine, however I've got no folder on Application Support for Legend of Grimrock 2. It's Application Support/Steam/Steamapps/common/Legend of Grimrock 2/

In that folder there is no cfg, only the executable, a licenses.txt and an extras folder with portraits etc.

Game running fine so far. See Steam for more info.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Sorry - I missed out the Almost Human part. The path is actually...

<User Directory>/Library/Application Support/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock 2/
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Is there anything in ..\Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock 2 ? That is the PC location.
CoalWhite

Post by CoalWhite »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Sorry - I missed out the Almost Human part. The path is actually...

<User Directory>/Library/Application Support/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock 2/
Excellent, got it. Already fought three turtles, everything seems fine. Probably entering the dungeon soon, will monitor numbers. Tl;dr: 60fps and smooth runnings on MacBook Air.

Whichever dev did this beta did an amazing job, apart from the crash after the ended intro cinematic (unless you skip it) - this is buttery smooth. The first Grimrock was very scary, so I couldn't complete it. I don't expect to complete this one either. Wish the whole game was on the beach /blush

Pasting my setup from the Steam thread:

I'm running the game in fullscreen on an MBA (see bottom of post), with the following setup
- wait for v-sync enabled
- rendering quality low
- draw distance high
- texture resolution high
- texture filtering low/greyed out
- shadow qualoty low/greyed out
- SSAO quality low/greyed out

Issues so far (more to come as I go along):

- When I set Rendering Quality and everything else to high, the screen is slower than the cursor. If for example I hover over Create Character during the New Game menu, it'll take a split second before the check-box lights up. That's obviously lag so I haven't bothered trying to play a game with that on yet. I turned it off and restarted the game, the box lighted up right away.
- non OS X related: human character portrait pic, y u only caucasian?!1 :(
- intro cinematic runs smoothly, then error report when it ends :'( I get two crash reports, one from OS X and one from the Grimrock 2 .log Lost all my chars when I restarted too. When I press ESC and skip the cinematic, the game actually loads fine! Will try to play.

EDIT: So far 60fps the whole way! Touched the first blue crystal, screen hangs for 2 seconds and fps drops to a red value. It disappears so fast I can't catch it tho.
Last edited by CoalWhite on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
petri

Post by petri »

Please post comments to this thread. Thanks!
awebbmaster

Post by awebbmaster »

Firstly loving that I can now play LoG2 natively on my Mac. Great job guys. I was playing it before on my Mac via a VM running Windows 7 which wasn't running great.

I am currently in the Ruins of Desarune and getting between 21 - 29 fps. This is running perfectly smoothly with no issues for me. The spec of my Mac is below.

iMac (27 inch, Mid 2011)
2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5
12G 1333Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512Mb

One issue I have seen that I also saw on the Windows version is that initial load of a saved game after first starting the game seems to take a long time i.e > 1 min. Subsequent loads are much faster. This issue didn't occur on LoG1.