Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
petri

Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by petri »

The beta version of Grimrock 2 for Mac is out! To opt into the beta, do the following:

1) right-click on Legend of Grimrock 2 in your Steam client, choose Properties. If Legend of Grimrock 2 is not shown in your games library, choose "Games" from the drop-down above the library view to display all your games, not just Mac games.

2) choose "mac_beta2" from the betas dropdown

3) the game should now download

If you have problems downloading the game, restarting the Steam client usually helps.

Please post how the game performs on your Mac (including the OS version and hardware specs) so we can figure out the minimum and recommended specs.

Requirements:
- Processor: 1.4 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor minimum, 2.5 GHz or better recommended
- Memory: 2 GB RAM minimum (may require lowering texture resolution), 4 GB or more recommended
- Graphics: OpenGL 3.2 capable graphics card, Intel HD Graphics 5000 minimum, Geforce GT 650M or better recommended
- Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

Known issues:
- the initial Steam overlay pop up may appear in file dialogs and may crash the Dungeon Editor. This is an issue with the Steam overlay renderer with no workaround.

Release notes for 2.2.3:
- optimized CPU usage of shadow rendering
- optimized water rendering
- added touchscreen mode to game options
- improved dynamic lighting when using low quality rendering mode
- removed draw distance from graphics options
- added new hidden graphics option maxDrawDistance to grimrock.cfg
- added support for drawing portraits using the gui context
- added new scripting function: Champion:resetExp()
- added new scripting hooks: Party.onGetPortrait() and BombItem.onExplode()
- textboxes now use OS X keyboard shortcuts (cmd-c, etc.)
- bug fix: click zones of menu options in main menu and pause menu are slightly off

Release notes for 2.2.2:
- optimized rendering of trees
- bug fix: cursor is visible during loading screens and cinematics
- bug fix: screen flashes white when starting up the game
- bug fix: crash when window close button is clicked on
- bug fix: tree leaves have dark spots on OpenGL
- bug fix: fog particles are too bright on OpenGL
- bug fix: pointlights are not reflected in water on OpenGL
- bug fix: title music does not play during loading screen

Release notes for 2.2.1:
- optimized CPU usage of the graphics engine
- added draw distance to graphics options
- optimized input latency especially when frame rate drops below 60 fps
- bug fix: tomb of guardians puzzle could end up in an incorrect state
- bug fix: projectiles don't pass through open cemetery gate
- bug fix: a monster standing in a monster blocker square can't be melee attacked
- bug fix: skeleton archers can be poisoned
- bug fix: projectiles stuck in a fire elemental are lost when the elemental hits the party and explodes
- bug fix: snakes inside force fields can be hit with projectiles
- bug fix: knockback can move the party while falling
- bug fix: spell panel remains open when using bare hands to cast and items are equipped into mage's hands
- bug fix: loot dropped by monsters is sometimes (very rarely) spawned in wrong square
- bug fix: non-stackable throwing items stack when auto-picked up
- bug fix: removed "invisible" energy potion in shipwreck beach
- bug fix: FirearmAttackComponent:setBaseDamageStats() has an incorrect argument type
- bug fix: ProjectileComponent:setCastByChampion() has an incorrect argument type
- bug fix: MaterialEx:setTexture() does not work for standard textures (diffuseMap, specularMap, normalMap, emissiveMap)
- bug fix: calling setDoorState() after the level has been loaded does not work
- video *.ivf files add now automatically exported to mods
- added new scripting functions: Map:getLevel(), ItemComponent:throwItem(dir, power), ItemComponent:land(), Component:getName(), Component:getClass()
badhabit

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by badhabit »

petri wrote:The first beta version of Grimrock 2 for Mac is out!
Wonderful, congratulation! :)
petri wrote: Release notes for version 2.2.1:
wooow... I can't believe it. Thank you, really! :D Looking forward to the PC release!
PS: please include the switching between OpenGL and DX backend if possible for PC
petri

Post by petri »

Any Mac users who'd like to give us a hand? :)
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I don't have Steam, but I do have multiple iMacs and Macbook Pro's:

- my wife's 20" iMac mid 2011 with OS X 10.7.5 with 512 MB video card Radeon HD 6750M
- my 27" iMac late 2013 with OS X 10.10.2 with 1 GB video card Geforce 755M
- my wife's Macbook Pro 2007 with OS X 10.6.8 with 128 MB video card Geforce 8600 GT
- my Macbook pro late 2011 with OS X 10.7.5 with 348 MB video card HD Graphics 3000
- my old 20" iMac 2007 (at parents-in-law) with 128 MB video card ATI HD 2400

If I see the Windows requirements of 1 GB video memory then only my new 27" iMac can play the game. It's the only one with a 1 GB video card. By recommending such a card a lot of Mac owners can't play the game. Can't the game play with just a 512 MB video card?

Is there now a more definite Mac minimum and recommended requirement? Only the new highend Macs have that 1 GB video card. Mine was bought at the end of last year.

How many Mac beta testers do you have now?
Last edited by Frenchie on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
petri

Post by petri »

Mac beta build 2.2.2 aka Friday the 13th build is out! If the build does not start downloading automatically, restarting Steam client usually helps.

Release notes:
- optimized rendering of trees
- bug fix: cursor is visible during loading screens and cinematics
- bug fix: screen flashes white when starting up the game
- bug fix: crash when window close button is clicked on
- bug fix: tree leaves have dark spots on OpenGL
- bug fix: fog particles are too bright on OpenGL
- bug fix: pointlights are not reflected in water on OpenGL
- bug fix: title music does not play during loading screen
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Been busy the last couple of days, but now the weekend is here you can be sure I will be checking this bad boy out! Great work Petri, can't wait wait to fire it up.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
vlzvl

Post by vlzvl »

+1
wooow... I can't believe it. Thank you, really! :D Looking forward to the PC release!
PS: please include the switching between OpenGL and DX backend if possible for PC
+2

:)
Mac drivers should certainly push Grimrock engine to the limits. Kudos to @petri and team that got their hands dirty, leading to a better PC experience overall.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Has anyone else managed to get this to work? I've unlocked the mac_beta branch on Steam using the password, but whatever I do I cannot get the setting to stick.

I have done the following in both the release and the beta Steam client.
(1) Right Click Grimrock 2 and hit Properties.
(2) On the Beta tab selected "mac_beta".
(3) Hit close

When I go back to Steam, nothing happens, so I restart Steam and still don't see an install button. After a restart, if I go back to the Beta tab on the game's properties dialog, it has reset the beta branch back to NONE.

If I try to install the game via the command line client SteamCMD, when I run "app_update 251730 -beta mac_beta" I get "ERROR! Failed to install app '251730' (Invalid Platform)".
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
antti

Post by antti »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Has anyone else managed to get this to work? I've unlocked the mac_beta branch on Steam using the password, but whatever I do I cannot get the setting to stick.

I have done the following in both the release and the beta Steam client.
(1) Right Click Grimrock 2 and hit Properties.
(2) On the Beta tab selected "mac_beta".
(3) Hit close

When I go back to Steam, nothing happens, so I restart Steam and still don't see an install button. After a restart, if I go back to the Beta tab on the game's properties dialog, it has reset the beta branch back to NONE.

If I try to install the game via the command line client SteamCMD, when I run "app_update 251730 -beta mac_beta" I get "ERROR! Failed to install app '251730' (Invalid Platform)".
Could you try again now? I enabled one more setting in the Steamworks (in addition to adding credentials for people who have bought the game in the LoG1+2 bundle) that I hope should fix the issue. Thanks :)
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Hmm, I now get an Install button, which I clicked and it then turned into a Play button. However, it says "Up to date" but there are no files in the game's Steam folder at all (Legend of Grimrock 2 is an empty folder - even after trying to Validate files). It is definitely using the mac_beta branch as I have tried to app_update and validate the files using the command line client too.

Sorry for being a pain!