Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
antti

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by antti »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Hmm, I now get an Install button, which I clicked and it then turned into a Play button. However, it says "Up to date" but there are no files in the game's Steam folder at all (Legend of Grimrock 2 is an empty folder - even after trying to Validate files). It is definitely using the mac_beta branch as I have tried to app_update and validate the files using the command line client too.

Sorry for being a pain!
Something similar to this actually happened when we tried it on Petri's Mac as well. I think restarting the Steam client helped.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Is it possible to also test this beta outside Steam? Now the only people that can test the beta are those that own both a PC and a Mac and have bought LoG2 for the PC. I don't think that there that many around. If you're afraid people won't buy the game after getting a beta, you can either offer an option for a pre-order, have it working for a limited time of 2 weeks only or strip/block the end-game.
antti

Post by antti »

Frenchie wrote:Is it possible to also test this beta outside Steam? Now the only people that can test the beta are those that own both a PC and a Mac and have bought LoG2 for the PC. I don't think that there that many around. If you're afraid people won't buy the game after getting a beta, you can either offer an option for a pre-order, have it working for a limited time of 2 weeks only or strip/block the end-game.
We use Steam for beta testing mainly for its convenience: it's very easy and quick to upload new builds to Steam (the tools take care of that only the changed bits need to be uploaded between builds instead of the whole game) and the testers stay automatically up-to-date with the newest builds (which is essential when the builds are updated rapidly - we don't want to investigate bug reports that might have already been fixed). :)
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
petri

Post by petri »

antti wrote:
JohnWordsworth wrote:Hmm, I now get an Install button, which I clicked and it then turned into a Play button. However, it says "Up to date" but there are no files in the game's Steam folder at all (Legend of Grimrock 2 is an empty folder - even after trying to Validate files). It is definitely using the mac_beta branch as I have tried to app_update and validate the files using the command line client too.

Sorry for being a pain!
Something similar to this actually happened when we tried it on Petri's Mac as well. I think restarting the Steam client helped.
I think this is still caused by some sort of permission issue -- this happened on our dev mac too before the permissions were fixed, afair.

btw. Antti is leaving tomorrow to Thailand, so it would be great if this issue could be solved still today… John, I assume you are still having the issue?
petri

Post by petri »

John, could you try again, please? We tweaked one more setting in Steamworks.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Sorry for the delay - was out watching the Rugby. I have just got home and it is happily downloading 615Mb of files! I will update you later to let you know it runs.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Well, turns out our internet is running quite fast today! Downloaded and installed fine. I'm just sitting and looking at the main menu now :).

I will mostly be testing from a modders perspective, but I will see if I can do a speed-run through the game sometime this week too!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Couple of minutes in so far, and it all seems to be running okay. First bit of feedback...

- Is it possible to put the "Tablet Mode" back in? It's pretty awkward trying to right click on the Macbook trackpad (I will play with a mouse when I play tomorrow!).
petri

Post by petri »

Great to hear that it works now! Sorry for the hassle.

Playing without a mouse is not really supported at the moment. I'll check how easy it would be to reimplement.

When you have time, could you post your typical fps and your hardware specs, please. Thank you for the help!
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Is it possible to run the beta in benchmarking mode? I could give you a bunch more numbers if the answer is yes!