Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
badhabit

Re: Grimrock 2 Mac Steam Beta

Post by badhabit »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Ah, my specs were in my Beta feedback thread. Now edited in above so my previous post makes sense. It's a 2.3Ghz Quad Core i7. V-Sync is off and the frame cap in the cfg file is 120. Maybe the Window manager limits it to 60fps?
Hello John, thank you for the info.
Do you activated the hyperthreading capability, how many cores are shown on the Windows taskmanager, 4 or 8 ?
If it is 4 cores, 37% relates to an utilization of 1.48 cores and 47% to a utilization of 1.88 cores.

Hmm, the 60fps lock is mysterious and seems to happen on MacOS and on Windows for your system.
petri

Post by petri »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Ah, my specs were in my Beta feedback thread. Now edited in above so my previous post makes sense. It's a 2.3Ghz Quad Core i7. V-Sync is off and the frame cap in the cfg file is 120. Maybe the Window manager limits it to 60fps?
Thanks for the feedback!

On my development system, OS X 10.7.5 / NVidia GT 650M vsync off works (I get 90-120 fps with low quality renderer). Can you notice screen tearing if you turn quickly with free look? If so, then your vsync is definitely off. VSync is not part of the core OpenGL (it's an extension), maybe the OpenGL driver on your machine does not support it.

The Windows vs. OS X speed difference that you notice is probably due to better optimized drivers on Windows or D3D9 on Windows having less overhead than the OpenGL implementation on Mac.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Hmm, the only way I was able to turn off V-Sync it seems is to use the Quartz Debug tool from the OS X Graphics Tools. In order to get my FPS above 60 in Low Rendering Mode I had to...

1. Run Quartz Debug
2. Go to Window -> Quartz Debug Settings
3. Disable Beam Sync.

This instantly turns off V-Sync in Quartz (even Chrome is Screen Tearing when I scroll now) and this seems to also control V-Sync in Grimrock on Yosemite. If I have V-Sync on or off, it doesn't seem to matter - it all boils down to the Beam Sync setting in QD. Naturally, if I do this in low rendering mode - my FPS shoots up now (between 90 and 120 on the beach).
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

A little bit of research makes me think that this behaviour is new in Yosemite. Beam Sync is now forced on.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
petri

Post by petri »

Great :-/
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

JohnWordsworth wrote:A little bit of research makes me think that this behaviour is new in Yosemite. Beam Sync is now forced on.
Maybe this helps; taken from http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =347017860
Beam Sync (forced VSync in Yosemite)
Mac OS uses something called "Beam Sync" which is basically just VSync. it stops screen taring when using the UI (moving around windows, switching spaces, etc.). This wasn't an issue (except for some Hackintoshes that didn't support it) until Apple became much more strict about forcing it on in OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Beam Sync can cause huge input lag. It really feels like your crosshair is dragging through mud, especially if your FPS isn't great. Luckily there are still two ways to disable it in Yosemite (using Secrets no longer works). Each with their own advantages and disadvantages

Method 1: Download BeamOff[www.insanelymac.com]

When you run BeamOff it disables Beam Sync and then closes itself. If you run it before playing CS:GO, you will notice that the difference is night and day. The crosshair will feel much more responsive and the input lag caused by Beam Sync will disappear.

The disadvantage is that, since it disables Beam Sync, it can cause noticable screen taring in other things. If this doesn't bother you, go right ahead and put it in your login items (in the "Users and Groups" preference pane) to have it load when you login so you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise simply start it before you want to play.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to easily re-enable Beam Sync using this method aside from rebooting (or possibly logging out and back in again).

Note: It is normal that BeamOff exits instantly. It makes the changes and then closes without any feedback. Rebooting resets it.

Method 2: Download Quartz Debug (you will need to have a free developer account and Xcode installed)

Start Xcode and go to "Xcode" in the menu bar and then "Open Developer Tool" > "More Developer Tools...". It will take you to the Apple Developer download page. Log in with your developer account and download and install "Graphics Tools for Xcode", which contains Quartz Debug.

Once you have done that open Quartz Debug and set Beam Sync to "Disable". This setting only stays active while Quartz Debug is running, so keep it running in the background while you play.

By the way, if you used method 1 (BeamOff), you can go into Quartz Debug and then set Beam Sync to "Disable" and then back to "Automatic" to re-enable Beam Sync.
vlzvl

Post by vlzvl »

Yosemite 10.10 is a mess right now, better to work with more stable OS X versions than trying to
fix something that Apple is responsible for (forcing Beam Sync to be on).
Beam Sync is not new, but Apple forced it to be enabled on 10.10 i think.
There are apps that try to fix that problem 2,3 years now.
petri

Post by petri »

Yeah, well I don't intend to fix it since it seems to be by design that way. btw is keyboard repeat also still off by default in 10.10? Having used Macs for over ten years, I still can't understand some of their design decisions...

Also, I'm considering removing the Draw Distance option or making it a hidden config variable... it just feels broken to see the world being clipped away like that. Opinions from those who have played the Mac version?
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

petri wrote:Yeah, well I don't intend to fix it since it seems to be by design that way. btw is keyboard repeat also still off by default in 10.10? Having used Macs for over ten years, I still can't understand some of their design decisions...

Also, I'm considering removing the Draw Distance option or making it a hidden config variable... it just feels broken to see the world being clipped away like that. Opinions from those who have played the Mac version?
Well,I have not seen the Mac implementation but I guess it looks similar to the result from this hack which is indeed hard clipping. My recommendation here would be hiding the hard clipping with a fog or blurring at the clipping distance, which would add also an atmospheric aspect. Hiding this option in the CFG would be unfortunate as it seems according the feedback pretty effective (or even the most effective) option for increasing FPS.
petri

Post by petri »

Fogging / blurring does not help at all with clear sky conditions.