LoG2 and NPC interactions?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Firia

LoG2 and NPC interactions?

Post by Firia »

I haven't played a game like Grimrock 2 since back when I tried to install Lands of Lore 2 on my old-OLD computer off of 8 floppy disks. Playing LoG2 has sparked some nostalgia, and I find myself wondering if the games architecture can support some lite NPC interactions.

I enjoy the pure dungeon crawling nature of LoG2. :) Sometimes though I wish there was some interaction beyond fighting monsters, or puzzle solving. I'm sure there is a dungeon crawler out there that fits my description (I noted Might and Magic are still making these style games), but LoG2 has the perfect atmosphere and challenge. The sense of being alone among the forest, or caves, while also living in your own head thinking about puzzles and environments. I'd love to see it included here. :)

So whether mod support or LoG3, I wonder if the game can support some lite NPC interaction.

Below for nostalgic ramblings. :)
SpoilerShow
The game also reminds me of back when I played Myst, and/or Riven. I felt alone with the atmosphere in those games, but there was the occasion where I'd interact with someone. I felt alone, but knew there were people out there. Either hiding, or waiting.

Similarly, anyone that has played some old point and click adventures like Return to Zork (I believe that one was grim, while future versions got a little zany) will remember that the game play was somewhere between Myst and dungeon crawling. But there were people there to interact with. The sense of being alone, and threatened by a hostile world was still present, even while there were people to talk to, or trade items with. It feels like it could be closely adapted to Grimrock 2 style gameplay.

Ah, nostalgia. :)
Dr.Disaster

Re: LoG2 and NPC interactions?

Post by Dr.Disaster »

While NPC interaction is not there by default the modding community has added it for LoG 1 - you can find NPC interactions in several mods - and is currently working on it for LoG 2.
Firia

Post by Firia »

Thanks for sharing that! I'm not a modder, but I'm glad to see that even if the framework doesn't exist, it is being developed for modding right now. :D Super happy about that. Makes me wonder whether I can mod a game with simple tools the game has provided + that framework. I imagine it's quite a bit harder than I imagine. But I can dream. :mrgreen:
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Firia: If you don't set your sights too high, it is very doable! Placing items and monsters in you custom maps is trivial, it's only puzzles and advanced features that require some effort and the modding community here are very helpful and friendly!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Firia

Post by Firia »

JohnWordsworth wrote:@Firia: If you don't set your sights too high, it is very doable! Placing items and monsters in you custom maps is trivial, it's only puzzles and advanced features that require some effort and the modding community here are very helpful and friendly!
And time commitment. :)

It's interesting. My first playthough (I've since beaten LoG2) i would ponder on the game mechanics I've seen so far, and consider the puzzles that could be developed from those mechanics. Then I'd see the same puzzle some time later. :) I'd already worked out the solution by just wondering. I think if I knew what I was doing, I could develop something pretty engaging. But I've only lightly poked at the dungeon builder. There's some learning curve to get over there. ;)