*Spoilers* Nexus Ending Discussion

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Heptarch

*Spoilers* Nexus Ending Discussion

Post by Heptarch »

After watching the Nexus Ending, I was left with a few questions.

1. Do you become the next "Island Master" ?
From what I gathered from Jonandar's (the previous Island Master) testament, guardians are cycled out, when one gets too weak another takes their place. So since you just killed the previous guardian, do we
take his place?

2. How does Grimrock's designs leave Nex (ties into Q 1)
I'm assuming that LoG2 is before LoG because of the "blueprints" for Grimrock in the book at the end (and the Undying One off to the side). So if you're the new guardian, can you leave the island? Would it be safe to leave it alone?

That's it for now but please leave your theories and answers
Azel

Re: *Spoilers* Nexus Ending Discussion

Post by Azel »

I dont think you are allowed to leave the Island if you are the Island Master. That is why the ending forces you to choose: 1) leave the Island on the ship after killing the Lyndworm; or 2) remain stuck on the Island as the Island Master.

People who happen upon the Island are forced to either defeat the island... or die.

The one complaint I have about the ending is that it didn't give me the freedom to find a "loophole." After I killed the Lyndworm I went on to defeat the Island Master. However, instead of going through the gateway that forces me to become the Island Master, I instead went back to the top of the Castle to escape on the ship. I was very sad to see that the ship had left! The ship is there after killing the Lyndworm, but leaves after challenging the Island Master. No fair!

My ideal ending allows me to kill the Island Master, obtain the guardian key, and then leave the Island so that the secrets are forever lost. In my version, my party would toss the key in to the ocean (while on the ship), right smack in the middle of nowhere.

Oh well.
Anurias

Post by Anurias »

Only the guardians of the words of creation are permitted to enter the Nexus. By defeating the Island Master you take his place as the guardian and are able to enter the Nexus. Near as I can tell, the book that they show you at the end is supposed to contain the sum of all knowledge. Whether there is an actual link between Isle Nex (Isle Neks in the book) and Mount Grimrock remains as speculation at this point, but there is almost undoubtedly a connection between the cubes and the Isle since the book tells you where to find a cube on the island. I'm hoping that should a Grimrock 3 be made it'll address the history of the Cubes, the creation of Mount Grimrock, and the connection it all has to the words of creation in more detail, up to and including why there is a map of Earth in the book when the map from the first game, creatures, and lore are clear that the world of Grimrock is not Earth.
MacSuna

Post by MacSuna »

Azel wrote: My ideal ending allows me to kill the Island Master, obtain the guardian key, and then leave the Island so that the secrets are forever lost. In my version, my party would toss the key in to the ocean (while on the ship), right smack in the middle of nowhere.
Didn't it tell you that the words are vital to keeping the world intact? Doing that would destroy the world.

Also for my question:
The island master is shown to be a good guy, playing a bad guy to motivate shipwreck survivors. So what's the deal with the people who came to the island before the game took place?
It looked like something drawn them to the island (similar to how you crash?).
The people started to worship the island master but then he made them his slaves, and in the end trapped the people in the pyramid.
What was the point of that? Hardly seams like a trial of finding a new guardian.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

There was only 1 Island Master, but there are 4 Champions. The remaining party should decide which member to leave behind to become the Island Master, so the others can leave. If no selection is made all 4 will find each other.

This leaves 4 outcomes:
- a member stays and he becomes the Island Master, others leave in the zeppelin
- a member is left behind on purpose and after he becomes the Island Master takes revenge and kills the others on the zeppelin
- 4 fight, 1 survives and wants to leave as well, but is cursed to become the Island Master
- 4 fight, all die, previous defeated Island Master rises again

With different outcomes different end animations.
Dematto

Post by Dematto »

The Island Master is allowed to have friends. The Wyrmbounds used the airship to leave the island and steal the dragon's egg, which presumably became Lindworm.
If I had to guess, I'd say the ship was programmed to leave, so that the group is forced to acclimate and come to fully understand why there MUST be an Island Master. Presumably somewhere in the notes and books, spells and incantations, the party can find the knowledge to recall the ship. But someone has to protect the nexus.
Azel

Post by Azel »

Right so if taking the keys and leaving destroys the world, I totally would have loved that option! Ah well, maybe in Grimrock 3 :twisted:

Also, I really don't think the Island Master was allowed to have any friends; which is why he created his own alt-ego, the Trickster. Homeboy was pretty damn lonely to make himself a leprechaun :shock:
Rya.Reisender

Post by Rya.Reisender »

- a member stays and he becomes the Island Master, others leave in the zeppelin
- a member is left behind on purpose and after he becomes the Island Master takes revenge and kills the others on the zeppelin
That would only work if the airship wasn't gone.
Also for my question:
The island master is shown to be a good guy, playing a bad guy to motivate shipwreck survivors. So what's the deal with the people who came to the island before the game took place?
It looked like something drawn them to the island (similar to how you crash?).
The people started to worship the island master but then he made them his slaves, and in the end trapped the people in the pyramid.
What was the point of that? Hardly seams like a trial of finding a new guardian.
I was thinking he used them to build the trials on the island and then killed them when they were done so they couldn't tell anyone about it.
Rithrin

Post by Rithrin »

Rya.Reisender wrote: I was thinking he used them to build the trials on the island and then killed them when they were done so they couldn't tell anyone about it.
Yeah, I'm thinking the Island Master isn't supposed to be a "good" guy, but more of a person who believes the end (keeping the secret to the world's destruction hidden) justify his means. He tricks a culture into building his guardian test labyrinth/puzzle facilities, something he probably didn't have the ability to do himself, and then kills them to hide the secret because what are their lives against protecting the world itself?
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

I am the only one who see similarity to the Dungeon Master story / ending , where when you killed lord chaos you actually released the "good" guy ?
could be this something similar just reversed ? Means - what if the leprechaunt was the "real" evil, which posses the wizard and twisted his mind ?

As for the ending I do not see any reasons, why four champions could not protect the island now. Is somewhere mentioned that only one person need to do so ?
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis