Beta 2.1.18

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
minmay

Re: Beta 2.1.18

Post by minmay »

Azel wrote:
minmay wrote:If resurrection isn't supposed to cure petrification, then the game shouldn't let petrified characters drink it.

Or they can just drink whatever is a liquid and if it cures it then it cures it, if it doesn't then it doesn't. You know, kinda like real life?
Then why are live characters not allowed to drink potions of resurrection, and why are dead characters not allowed to drink potions of healing/energy/etc?
Azel wrote:
minmay wrote:It seems reasonable to me that it should cure petrification since petrification is identical to death in every other respect, though.

Right, because being so scared you can't move your muscles (petrified) is the similar to being dead and having no blood flow and total loss of internal organ functions (death).
Here are the effects of being dead in Grimrock:
- cannot act
- cannot gain experience
- can be resurrected by a potion of resurrection or healing crystal

Here are the effects of being petrified in Grimrock:
- cannot act
- cannot gain experience
- can be unpetrified by a healing crystal

They are virtually identical in game terms. The game mechanics do not include muscles, blood flow, or internal organ functions; I see no reason to bring those things up.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

minmay wrote:- can be unpetrified by a healing crystal
.. or an antidote potion. That's almost like breaking a curse.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
...Wow. What the hell?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Petrified PCs can drink resurrection potions (oddly enough), and it will both fully heal and restore their energy... but leave them still petrified.
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

Azel wrote:Right, because being so scared you can't move your muscles (petrified) is the similar to being dead and having no blood flow and total loss of internal organ functions (death).
Being "petrified" in this context means "the character has been turned into a stone statue", just like the classical medusa/gorgon did to people. So yes, it also involves having no blood flow and a total loss of internal organ functions.

On the other hand, you can't reasonably expect an alchemical defibrillator to fix that particular problem.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Indeed!
minmay wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:
...Wow. What the hell?
Whoa! I missed this before... That's messed up. That should be a bug; it might not be... but it should be. That's incredulous. That destroys the hefty respect I had for the medusae. :(
Thorham

Post by Thorham »

Just wanted to say that the slowdowns I've been experiencing are NOT caused by the update. The problem started after I removed the dust from my computer's CPU cooler and PSU. Thought it was just a coincidence, but it turned out that everything was effected, not just Grimrock 2. For the heck of it, I removed the Soundblaster Audigy PCI card I was using, and switched to the VIA HD audio on the mobo. The problem went away. Very strange, because this was never a problem before.

Anyway, back to playing Grimrock!
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Thorham wrote:Just wanted to say that the slowdowns I've been experiencing are NOT caused by the update. The problem started after I removed the dust from my computer's CPU cooler and PSU. Thought it was just a coincidence, but it turned out that everything was effected, not just Grimrock 2. For the heck of it, I removed the Soundblaster Audigy PCI card I was using, and switched to the VIA HD audio on the mobo. The problem went away. Very strange, because this was never a problem before.
Slowdown after dust removal? That sounds odd. An explanation that comes to mind would be that some chip or card wasn't seated properly after you were finished followed by internal communication problems, slowing things down in general.

How much did things change after removing the Audigy? Another screenshot; same location and specs as last time?
Thorham

Post by Thorham »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Slowdown after dust removal? That sounds odd.
Very odd indeed.
Dr.Disaster wrote:An explanation that comes to mind would be that some chip or card wasn't seated properly after you were finished followed by internal communication problems, slowing things down in general.
Perhaps, but glitchy behavior and malfunctioning would seem more obvious somehow.
Dr.Disaster wrote:How much did things change after removing the Audigy? Another screenshot; same location and specs as last time?
In terms of numbers the difference isn't large. Went from 14 fps to 21 fps. The CPU load went up to ~70 with dips in the 60s and peaks in the 90s. Was stuck in the 50s before. The difference in playability however is enormous. Outside areas are perfectly playable again. It's all not very smooth, but everything is happening at the right speed again.
SpoilerShow
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Thorham wrote:In terms of numbers the difference isn't large. Went from 14 fps to 21 fps. The CPU load went up to ~70 with dips in the 60s and peaks in the 90s. Was stuck in the 50s before. The difference in playability however is enormous. Outside areas are perfectly playable again. It's all not very smooth, but everything is happening at the right speed again.
Wow, that's alot!
50% fps increase after removing a sound card plus the CPU core load is pretty even now. It can't get much better than that.

It might be worth to re-check with the Audigy and perhaps newer drivers.