Change difficulty cheat pls?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Rithrin

Re: Change difficulty cheat pls?

Post by Rithrin »

minmay wrote:Hey Mwah, I think I'm making some progress.
Heh, difficulty so obscene it had to be censored!
Vardis

Post by Vardis »

PSY wrote:I reckon there's a lot of data concerning monster stats that is saved in the savegame files, so the difficulty level is not just a byte or two you can switch.

Meaning the engine probably works like this:

Code: Select all

* Savegame with all monster stats is loaded (READ SKELETONDAMAGE)
* Skeleton encounter coming up:
Function DealDamgeToParty(Skeleton)
  HitParty(SKELETONDAMAGE)
End Function
..rather than this:

* Savegame is loaded
* Skeleton encounter coming up:
Function DealDamgeToParty(Skeleton)
   If difficulty_level = 1 then SKELETONDAMAGE = 50
   If difficulty_level = 2 then SKELETONDAMAGE = 100
   If difficulty_level = 3 then SKELETONDAMAGE = 150
   HitParty(SKELETONDAMAGE)
End Function

Dunno, just my 2ct. Would make sense to me, though.

Cheers,
PSY
That seems to me like it would be an extremely bad way to handle it. It would be far cleaner to have a multiplier in the damage calculation, since you have to make that sort of calculation going in the other direction anyway based on the character's current stats, weapon, skills, dual wield penalty (if any), and target's armor. For an NPC, perhaps it's more basic and only has to take into account armor, but still. Storing it like that makes it more difficult to make changes, which they'd certainly want to be doing during development.
PSY

Post by PSY »

Vardis wrote:That seems to me like it would be an extremely bad way to handle it. It would be far cleaner to have a multiplier in the damage calculation, since you have to make that sort of calculation going in the other direction anyway based on the character's current stats, weapon, skills, dual wield penalty (if any), and target's armor. For an NPC, perhaps it's more basic and only has to take into account armor, but still. Storing it like that makes it more difficult to make changes, which they'd certainly want to be doing during development.
Hey,

you completely misunderstood me ;)
Of course it's not like this. I just wanted to make clear that it's highly unlikely that the difficulty level is just saved in a byte or two inside the savegame file. UNLESS the difficulty only affects the monster's damage and hitpoints. Even then, it's probably encrypted. Maybe Almost Human just didn't want people to change the difficulty setting at hard points in the game.

Of course, the damage calculation is FAR MORE complex than in the code I posted.

But, IF the difficulty setting really only affects the monster's damage and hitpoints, it would be easy to:

(pretty complex damage calculation, taking equipment, armor, skills, attributes, luck factor, weapons and stuff into account) X difficulty_multiplier
Never tried the game on another setting, though.

Cheers,
PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
minmay

Post by minmay »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7641#p77767
petri wrote:Difficulty level only affects the speed and aggressiveness of monsters.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
PSY

Post by PSY »

minmay wrote:viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7641#p77767
petri wrote:Difficulty level only affects the speed and aggressiveness of monsters.

Woah,

thanks a lot for that info mate !!

Cheers,
PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Saice

Post by Saice »

Rithrin wrote:
minmay wrote:Hey Mwah, I think I'm making some progress.
Heh, difficulty so obscene it had to be censored!
Most have accidentally turned on the Dark Souls option. Because that was the sounds I made the first time I ran into the Asylum Demon.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through