Legend of Grimrock 3

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Sir Tawmis

Re: Legend of Grimrock 3

Post by Sir Tawmis »

1varangian wrote:Party based multiplayer that would encourage teamwork. How?

- class roles: tank, support, dps, controller... run off alone and you get killed
- puzzles that require teamwork to solve
- free individual movement but 4 players could also occupy the same square when needed (and move freely through eachother)
- backstabbing and flanking would actually make sense if you could sneak around the mobs while the tank holds them

It would make a different game.. one that would be exponentially more fun. Bloodwych proved the formula already in the 90s.. crude graphics, no mods/editor, clumsy gameplay and still we replayed it endlessly with my mates. :)
If they did it something like Shadow of Yserbius (Ah, fond memories of ImagiNatioN/The Sierra Network) - then I could see it. It keeps everyone moving in the same square and the appointed "leader" of the party decides where the party moves.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
1varangian

Post by 1varangian »

You would surely need free movement for it to be fun. And to keep the gameplay where it is now i.e. moving around in combat and to dodge slow moving spells etc. Teamwork with free movement would enable all kinds of new combat tactics - backstabbing, flanking.. say the Fighter taunts a monster and lures him to a certain square -> Rogue sneaks off to pull a switch and opens the trapdoor under the monster. Or if there's a horde of monsters.. you let the first wave through -> Wizard splits off and forcefields the doorway so you can fight only a few at a time.

Wizard could even have a teleport spell that would take him back to party leader's square. All kinds of cool stuff could be added.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

1varangian wrote:You would surely need free movement for it to be fun. And to keep the gameplay where it is now i.e. moving around in combat and to dodge slow moving spells etc.
That's not possible. Allowing free movement automatically changes the gameplay.
1varangian wrote:Teamwork with free movement would enable all kinds of new combat tactics - backstabbing, flanking.. say the Fighter taunts a monster and lures him to a certain square -> Rogue sneaks off to pull a switch and opens the trapdoor under the monster. Or if there's a horde of monsters.. you let the first wave through -> Wizard splits off and forcefields the doorway so you can fight only a few at a time.

Wizard could even have a teleport spell that would take him back to party leader's square. All kinds of cool stuff could be added.
Diablo does exactly this since 20 years and it's not much like LoG.
1varangian

Post by 1varangian »

Of course it's possible. And necessary. Not being able to move your own character wouldn't be fun.

Bloodwych did multiplayer dungeon crawl back in 1989 and it was brilliant.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

So? Bloodwych is grid-based like LoG. It had no free movement whatsoever. You also couldn't move a character away from your party. All you could do was run two entire parties using a local split screen (two players at the same computer) but that's not what you ask for.
1varangian

Post by 1varangian »

...which makes Bloodwych multiplayer with free movement. We always played it with a single character in both "parties". And I do believe you could leave party members to stand on a pressure plate.

The modern version would of course be much more advanced and allow movement through friendlies and joining in the same square for backrow safety. It would be fun even with only 2 player co-op without the back row.

The co-op just makes the game exponentially more fun and replayable, I hope they make it happen.
Juri

Post by Juri »

I think just ability so split party and go alone in coop game would be enough. But that would need to make levels mostly at least 2 tiles x n tiles.

Puzzles etc would be too much problem. But if there will be ability to other players to join our instance for example or coop with friends(and scaling monster diffculty when someone joins, beacause it's gonna be easier or tougher in 2 people than controling 4 characters party) that would be awesome.

And i think that would get a lot whole new people into the game. That should be the biggest and first improvment into game devs should focus on IMHO.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I'm not sure if anyone is active anymore since this site has nothing new to report beside the iPad version. If there will be a LoG3 it must be amazing. We are not looking out for a VR version as the HTC/Oculus headgear is too expensive. I have no doubt it will be great when prices drop. Here's my points for greatness. And if it doesn't fit the LoG format anymore give it a new name. With the header "From the makers of Legend of Grimrock" that will be sufficient to start something new.

- It already looks great. Nothing can be improved graphical except adding waterfalls
- Hexagon tiles would add new movement and 2 more view points. Big mobs should be divided among the 3 front tiles
- 3-directional party attacks, where the main damage goes to the front hexagon and 50% damage to the left and right hexagons (left party members hit front and left, right party members hit front and right, solo party member hits left, front & right)
- Dimensional weapon attacks. When slashing from left to right: left 50% - front 100% - right 50%. With a full 360 deg attack hit all tiles in sequence
- Better movement: swimming without sinking to the bottom, jumping over a tile, hanging on a rope to bridge a gap, jumping from tree onto a mob
- Dividing tasks party members. If not all party members can swim or are too heavy due armor or body mass, send a good swimmer ahead. With the press of a button switch views. Same for climbing and rope hanging, make a human ladder to reach a high point by the lightest member
- New spells: mind control a mob, see through wall, track species, pathfinder (way points appear on floor), astral body (explore without getting harmed or being noticed),
- New skills: seed grow by farmer (grow a tree, chop it and use it as a bridge or raft), tree chopping, combine objects: making ropes, rafts, bows, arrows etc., melting ores and old gear
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Frenchie wrote:- Hexagon tiles would add new movement and 2 more view points. Big mobs should be divided among the 3 front tiles
I suggested this a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2523
1varangian

Post by 1varangian »

Hexes? That would completely mess up movement and dungeon layouts. You wouldn't even be able to move along half the walls without zig zagging lol. And there couldn't be such a simple thing as a T-junction without a weird angle.

Hexes are for strategy games.