Legend of Grimrock 3

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Sir Tawmis

Re: Legend of Grimrock 3

Post by Sir Tawmis »

ByFstugan wrote: What kinda game it is isn't very relevant for the social part - which I specifically talked about. Also I said "If you like a game, or the people playing it for that matter" - it's clearly not about watching a exiting movie, but to be part of something that happens that got your intrest. With your reasoning there shouldn't be anyone interested to look on streams with i.e Minecraft - but is that true? Are there any game that people can't stream and get watchers to really? I think this is the new win or break for many games - that if it also has an social platform (either it's built in to the game or if it happens on stream) it can make a game go very popular or not sell at all. If I would guess this would be a boost for LoG-serie to have this function built in, that would make it easier to make it popular on social media like streams.
Well, that's just it, right? Why build it into the game? You can use Twitch (or whatever other platform) to play the game, have others watch, and be social, etc?
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
ByFstugan

Post by ByFstugan »

Sir Tawmis wrote:
ByFstugan wrote: What kinda game it is isn't very relevant for the social part - which I specifically talked about. Also I said "If you like a game, or the people playing it for that matter" - it's clearly not about watching a exiting movie, but to be part of something that happens that got your intrest. With your reasoning there shouldn't be anyone interested to look on streams with i.e Minecraft - but is that true? Are there any game that people can't stream and get watchers to really? I think this is the new win or break for many games - that if it also has an social platform (either it's built in to the game or if it happens on stream) it can make a game go very popular or not sell at all. If I would guess this would be a boost for LoG-serie to have this function built in, that would make it easier to make it popular on social media like streams.
Well, that's just it, right? Why build it into the game? You can use Twitch (or whatever other platform) to play the game, have others watch, and be social, etc?
Have you already forgot the context that many asked for some multi-player function to the game, and you said it didn't work since you wanted the party to be in one square, and this is in base a suggestion for a solution for that?

Also I think this game might need a boost to get big on the streams and this would help since a purelly single-player game has harder to achieve that.

Beside that stream has no part that makes you active in the game so you can play together, like with your wife/gf for example - which I think would be very nice to have.
StormyInferno

Post by StormyInferno »

Now that it has been a couple years since LOG 2, I have had time to go back and replay both LOG's and I have to say, I really need more.

There have been many suggestions on this thread and I love seeing all the different ideas everyone has.

I really enjoy LOG 1 and 2 for a few main reasons.

1) Mystery.

Every single time I hop on and play LOG, I get this feeling of mystery, awe, and curiosity.
This is really interesting because there aren't many games that do this anymore.
There is a set path you need to follow and that feels great.
Some games put in side-quests to give the game a more "open" feel, but Grimrock makes you "want" that openness and that is why you follow the "path".
It is a very interesting dynamic to the Dungeon Crawler Genre that Almost Human hit Bulls-Eye on.

Make LOG 3 Mysterious.

2) Progression/Customization/Replayabilty

I grouped these 3 items together because they have a lot to do with each other.
In LOG you can create your own characters and customize them how you want before you start.
This gives you a personal attachment to the game that I really enjoyed.
You can then progress these characters in different ways, however you prefer, which allows you to create a playstyle.
Because of these things you can go back and see how the game would play out with 2 mages, and 2 warriors, instead of 2 warriors, a rogue, and a mage, etc....

Suggestion for LOG3 or future games: If someone customizes their party to the extremes (4 warriors, 4 rogues, 4 mages, etc...) allow for items in-game to change. Ex. Have less warrior weapons and heavy armor in-game, if there are no warriors, and more of whatever the player chooses. This way, the player can experience the same customization, and progression, without being limited in equipment.

3) Tile Based Combat/Grid System/Party System

I really enjoyed the tile based concept being embodied in LOG 1 and 2.
It fit really well with the genre and style of the game, and allowed the player to gain strategy in positioning, timing, and movement.
The 4 party system is great. I think there is a lot of wiggle room there as a lot of people like different styles.
I myself personally really enjoyed it, because I was a big fan of the original Final Fantasy's, 1 and 2 specifically.
It reminded me a lot of these games and added a new dynamic style to it (not turned based).

The 4 party system could be changed and improved in many ways, but I would stick with the same basic idea for future games.
An example of a good change is how you have two inventory slots for each hand in LOG2.
I played LOG1 recently and really miss that ha.

I have really enjoyed your games Almost Human and I really want more of what you might have to offer.

Thank you for providing amazing content for us Players to Play!

-StormyInferno
trancelistic

Re: What's Next? Almost Human [Opinions/Suggestions]

Post by trancelistic »

I agree with you. But log 1 has already a script that helps to have to 2 inventory slots for the handheld items.
Its called quickbar. Surely not as good as u want. But knowing you played old games, you should accept this fair or unfair "upgrade.
besides its not really necessary.

I've edited my MOD to have quickbar by grimworled, ( thanks mate) just because people want it.
However I don't think its needed.

LoG 1 plays fine just as it is.

Btw stay tuned. I'll release my Mod soon.
I also thought of those things.

And last, excuse my weak English. You get my point.
Alino

Post by Alino »

Here are some ideas I had

- Do a sort of combination of Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2. For example, start us in a large dungeon that we're prisoners in, and we need to escape. Once we beat the boss and what not we move on to Act II, where we're free and we've made our way back to town but everybody's dead or such and so we investigate, discovering that familiar friends and family have been resurrected and what not, etc, so we need to find the necromancer responsible, or the like. You know, like a 3 Act system where they're each about Grimrock 1 length or a bit longer where we just go through the acts that could all be widely different from one another. One of the things I disliked about grimrock 2 was the fact that the dungeons felt really small.

- MOAR ITEMS!

- Instead of an online play, why not have it be like a Dragon's Dogma feature where you can let people switch out party members at the hub/healing crystals so they can switch in members they need at the time, while getting the used members levels for the person's actual party. Obviously players would be allowed to activate/disactivate this feature on separate accounts.

- Have an in-game chat system where you can talk to other people in the different realms or such so that it doesn't feel quite as empty. This could also be activated/disactivated.

- NPCs are a possibility but meh.

- The most amazing dungeon editor ever.

- Cutscenes between acts, if they were to go the Act-route.

- MOAR MOBS

- Legend of Grimrock 4.
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Being away from the community for a while. I spent around three years playing Grimrock 1 and modules. Then Grimrock 2 came out and I played it twice, tried to play a couple of modules, but they are not very polished, let's say, about that time. I kinda let Grimrock go. But I'm willing to play new content after this long vacation. I see a good amount of modules, but don't know where to start.

And by the way, seems that there is no news about a Grimrock 3, is that true? I really would love to have a Grimrock 3!
BouH

Post by BouH »

What would be first Legend of Grimrock 3, or Half Life 3?
MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

I'd love to see Grimrock 3, even if it was just another story using Grimrock 2 mechanics.

But I don't think it would be difficult to expand the Grimrock series conceptually, since that's been done with other similar games and you can look at what worked and what didn't. I'm thinking more races, more classes, more spells (better magic), NPC's, shops, and so forth. (Might & Magic X Legacy type of stuff...)

A multiplayer option would be cool too, so that people could battle each other under different circumstances or work together. It wouldn't have to be particularly good, just a start and something modders could play around with.
MrChoke

Post by MrChoke »

I don't think a Grimrock 3 is coming guys. I am going leave it at that. Grimrock 2 is it. And unless AH wants to take time out and do an expansion or at least another patch for it, what we got now is all we will ever get.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

SSI as well as Interplay [ both game developer/publishers ;) ] eventually packaged a version of the editors for their respective grid-based RPG series (D&D Goldbox and Bard's Tale). These allowed users to design their own games. AH is in a similar position as Interplay, in that they own their own engine and IP. SSI's [Goldbox] editor 'Unlimited Adventures', was a licensed product ~and so came with strings attached, but Interplay's was all their own, and unlike SSI, theirs was intended to compile a standalone game executable. With it, one could make any kind of Bard's Tale adventure that they could dream up; and then export it as a commercial game.
SpoilerShow
Image Image
AH could focus on their dungeon editor to give it some more teeth. Imagine if 'Grimrock 3' was a modern equivalent of the 'Bard's Tale Construction Set'; (LoG2 is already an equivalent of 'Unlimited Adventures'). But imagine if LoG3's integrated editor (in addition to exporting LoG3 Dat files) included an 'Export standalone game' option, (for Win32/64, OSX, Linux, Android?), and that the result could be commercially sold (or freely given out) by the designer [on Steam, GoG, and the various App stores]. I think that LoG2's editor is a lot easier to create a polished dungeon-crawler with, than anything else out there at this time.