Please do something about the spiders :(

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
User avatar
Dr.Disaster
Posts: 2855
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Dr.Disaster » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:34 pm

I "can" play with the screen mirrored and even upside down if necessary but that does not say that i "want" it this way.

User avatar
Gekkibi
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Gekkibi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Dr.Disaster wrote:I "can" play with the screen mirrored and even upside down if necessary but that does not say that i "want" it this way.
...And once more we are in the situation "want" vs "need"...

Here's a small collection of quote mining ( ;) ) from this thread:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... PGs?page=1

"I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if it is implausible to actually expect game developers to care. Is a non-arachnids mod or option really too much to ask to play my favorite games?"

"I am so sick of all the fraking spiders in RPGs. After DA2, I'm nearly ready to swear off the entire genre as a result."

"I am also have arachnophobia, not in the way that i will faint at the sight of anything with 8 legs, but they still get me every time. For example, I had to stop playing the first Dragon Age, because every 30 seconds a giant spider drops from the ceiling. Or i always had to get my friends to beat the obligatory spider boss in every Zelda."

"mate i know exactly how you feel in oblivion i had to stay permenently lv 1 so the deidra spiders wouldnt appear. in overlord 2 i had to get my brother to kill the boss spider because i couldnt even look at it. i was also going to buy dragon age 2 but saw the spiders and went hell no. rpgs are my faverouite genre of games but i find myself losing out on classics because of my irrational fear of spiders"

"In any case arachnophobia sucks big time. And the worst thing for me is that I can't really seem to do anything about it. People often keep telling you to face your fears and conquer them, but that's just like a bad Hollywood slogan. It sounds good, but gives you little benefits in real life. I've been trying the whole facing one's fears thing for as long as I can remember. Once I even held a live tarantula on my hand(it was probably more scared than I was), but it turns out you can't just simply undo something that's been hardwired into your brain. And it's no more possible to rationalize it than for instance telling yourself that pain is only in your head and then putting your hand into fire."

"BTW checked out the screens from Skyrim, after a bit of shuddering realized that's gonna be another otherwise really good game I'm not gonna play for the same stupid, stupid reason."

How many of these fellows will skip Legend of Grimrock 2 completely? It's not what they want, it's what they need to be able to play.

User avatar
Leki
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Leki » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Don't worry. This community is able to find solution for any issue. Just give us some time.
But if you prefer fast solutions, I'm pretty sure smth like this can solve your problem immediately and for ever:
SpoilerShow
Image
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore

User avatar
Gekkibi
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Gekkibi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:51 pm

Leki wrote:Don't worry. This community is able to find solution for any issue. Just give us some time.
But if you prefer fast solutions, I'm pretty sure smth like this can solve your problem immediately and for ever:
SpoilerShow
Image
I'm not in a hurry and can wait for a mod. I can play spiderless games while I wait and forget that the game even exists (actually, this happened with Grimrock 1: I completely forgot that the game got released ;) ) But because I'm not selfish I would like that more permanent solution is given to those who:
- want to play it on release date (or relatively soon)
- don't even know what a mod is, where to get them, how to use them, etc
- are going to play this game in the far future when the whole community is dead and buried (literally)

User avatar
Isaac
Posts: 2995
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Isaac » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:25 am

BTW... For anyone reading this thread that hates spiders and just wants them dead in Grimrock... Copy / Paste one of these scriptlets into the console and press Enter.

This is for just the level you are one at the time:

Code: Select all

for critter in allEntities(party.level) do if critter.name == "spider" then critter:destroy() end end playSound("secret") hudPrint("All spiders have been removed from this level")
Use this each level as you go ~after you've saved your game.
_______________________________________________________________________
Alternate ~wipes out all spiders in the game.
[Untested! I don't recall if there are spiders required to solve any puzzle!]:

Code: Select all

for x = 1, getMaxLevels() do for critter in allEntities(x) do if critter.name == "spider" then critter:destroy() end end end playSound("secret") hudPrint("All spiders have been removed from the game")
This might even work in LoG2, but of course there is no knowing what it might break in LoG2. :o

User avatar
Gekkibi
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Gekkibi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:40 am

Isaac wrote:BTW... For anyone reading this thread that hates spiders and just wants them dead in Grimrock... Copy / Paste one of these scriptlets into the console and press Enter.

This is for just the level you are one at the time:

Code: Select all

for critter in allEntities(party.level) do if critter.name == "spider" then critter:destroy() end end playSound("secret") hudPrint("All spiders have been removed from this level")
Use this each level as you go ~after you've saved your game.
_______________________________________________________________________
Alternate ~wipes out all spiders in the game.
[Untested! I don't recall if there are spiders required to solve any puzzle!]:

Code: Select all

for x = 1, getMaxLevels() do for critter in allEntities(x) do if critter.name == "spider" then critter:destroy() end end end playSound("secret") hudPrint("All spiders have been removed from the game")
This might even work in LoG2, but of course there is no knowing what it might break in LoG2. :o
Is it possible to make a loop that checks each x frames if there are any new spawned spiders, because nothing creates more laundry than a false impression that there are no spid- BOO!! I know that this kind of loop is possible in a custom-made dungeon, but no idea if you can execute an infinite loop with a delay using the console.

User avatar
Dr.Disaster
Posts: 2855
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Dr.Disaster » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:45 am

Isaac wrote:This might even work in LoG2, but of course there is no knowing what it might break in LoG2. :o
.. you mean something like vast swarms of Shrakk Torr's invading the Isle of Nex?

User avatar
Isaac
Posts: 2995
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Isaac » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:56 am

Gekkibi wrote:Is it possible to make a loop that checks each x frames if there are any new spawned spiders, because nothing creates more laundry than a false impression that there are no spid- BOO!! I know that this kind of loop is possible in a custom-made dungeon, but no idea if you can execute an infinite loop with a delay using the console.
Let me think about that for a few minutes... Meanwhile...

Alternate script 2; replaces all spiders with tough snails.

Code: Select all

for x = 1, getMaxLevels() do for critter in allEntities(x) do if critter.name == "spider" then local tempCritter = {critter.level, critter.x, critter.y, critter.facing, critter.id} critter:destroy() spawn( "snail", tempCritter[1], tempCritter[2], tempCritter[3], tempCritter[4] ):setLevel(tempCritter[1]) end end end playSound("secret") hudPrint("All spiders have been replaced with tough snails")
Last edited by Isaac on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sir Tawmis
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:15 am
Contact:

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Sir Tawmis » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:25 am

If you hate spiders, it's all the more reason to purchase this game! You get to vanquish them!
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

User avatar
Gekkibi
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Gekkibi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:39 am

Sir Tawmis wrote:If you hate spiders, it's all the more reason to purchase this game! You get to vanquish them!
Arachnophobia has nothing to do with hatered. By definition no amount of rationality will ever cure anyone's arachnophobia.

The method where you voluntarily expose yourself to spiders is not a guaranteed success (no matter how much advertized), especially if your phobia is not just because of a childhood trauma. There's a chance it won't work for the same reason why a nice tap on the back won't change ones sexuality. Plus there's one thing people haven't thought of: games like Grimrock is not suitable for voluntary exposure because the spiders are huge, deadly and out to murder you horribly! Are you trying to teach me that instead of being irrationally afraid of spiders I should have a damn good and valid reason to be afraid of them? ;)
Isaac wrote:
Gekkibi wrote:Is it possible to make a loop that checks each x frames if there are any new spawned spiders, because nothing creates more laundry than a false impression that there are no spid- BOO!! I know that this kind of loop is possible in a custom-made dungeon, but no idea if you can execute an infinite loop with a delay using the console.
Let me think about that for a few minutes... Meanwhile...

Alternate script 2; replaces all spiders with tough snails.

Code: Select all

for x = 1, getMaxLevels() do for critter in allEntities(x) do if critter.name == "spider" then local tempCritter = {critter.level, critter.x, critter.y, critter.facing, critter.id} critter:destroy() spawn( "snail", tempCritter[1], tempCritter[2], tempCritter[3], tempCritter[4] ):setLevel(tempCritter[1]) end end end playSound("secret") hudPrint("All spiders have been replaced with tough snails")
Sweet! I tip my hat to you. If you're able to make it a spawn-proof then I have a damn valid reason to replay Grimrock one more time (and not change my underwear after *that* pressure plate)!

Locked