Please do something about the spiders :(

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
J. Trudel

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by J. Trudel »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Assuming that Grimrock 2 has a console system and it's similar to the first, I'm sure there will be a couple of modders here that will be more than happy to provide a string you can enter to swap spiders for another creature (without having to wait for someone like the legend that is Komag to remake the game as a mod!).
Yeah Komag is a legend :-) Let's hope he make Mount Grimrock re-born in the Grimrock 2 engine :-)
The Lurker
Leki

Post by Leki »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Assuming that Grimrock 2 has a console system and it's similar to the first, I'm sure there will be a couple of modders here that will be more than happy to provide a string you can enter to swap spiders for another creature (without having to wait for someone like the legend that is Komag to remake the game as a mod!).
I remember, there was a guy who asked for replacing of skeletons, because he had a necrophobia, so you have to extend that scrip command to be usable in generic way, John - smith like replace id with id so we can fight pink unicorns instead of them... I can make them, I guess, but only if YOU will by the guy who will face my pissed 3 years old doughter and explain to her, WHY daddy put that sweet creatures into that creepy dark dungeon and let the people killing them in brutal way (like burn them with fireballs, smashing with hammers etc etc...).

Hmm... I guess I have to give up finishing of my latest asset as well, because I don't wanna see people dying in front of their monitors :twisted:
DON'T CLICK HERE - OR YOU CAN DIE!
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
Geonjaha

Post by Geonjaha »

Gekkibi wrote:
Geonjaha wrote:
Geonjaha wrote: Honestly though, I cant imagine this is a common problem. If it is, then a 'No Spiders Mode' is obviously needed for the options menu! :D
Arachnophobia is as common as colorblindness. Define "common". Majority? Absolutely not. Many potential customers? Definitely. The difference between colorblindness and arachnophobia is that a person who is colorblind can still be able to play (and enjoy) the game, assuming the game does not require you to distinguish certain colors from each other.
Arachnophobia is mild in a majority of cases. Extreme arachnophobia? Rarer. Extreme to the degree that seeing a spider in a game becomes a problem? Even more so. I'm all for someone helping you with modding them out but a frequent problem this is not.
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

Geonjaha wrote: Arachnophobia is mild in a majority of cases. Extreme arachnophobia? Rarer. Extreme to the degree that seeing a spider in a game becomes a problem? Even more so. I'm all for someone helping you with modding them out but a frequent problem this is not.
You don't need an extreme arachnophobia when a game (underlined this because it's a huge factor. Games are interactive, movies and pictures are not) is from 1st person perspective, has extremely good graphics and the spider jumps right in your "face". Normally I don't have any problems with spiders in games. So what if there are lots and lots of spiders in Baldur's Gate? Haven't affected me one bit. Legend of Grimrock is a huge exception. I have a very mild arachnophobia and it does not control my life. I simply avoid them and ask my fiancee to kill that f***er for me (assuming my cats haven't eaten it already).

Plus note that the purpose of games is to enjoy playing it. Even if someone's arachnophobia is not causing panic attacks, it means that he's probably feeling nauseous, uncomfortable or under mental stress. Hardly something I call "enjoyable" or "relaxing". Also known as: not worth playing. ;)
zeltak

Post by zeltak »

I have a mild form of arachnofobia. Grimrock spiders never really bothered me as they didn't really look that realistic. ..but man have I a bad memories from the Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. Spiders were much smaller (still of the giant variety) & much more realistic. I had to scratch myself after every encounter with them. But I have to admit that those moments were also the most memorable ones. And another example of nasty "little" critters that synced with my phobia were the chitin armored bugs from Dark Souls 2. But yeah, my phobia is a mild one. After seeing that scene from the LoG2 trailer, I'm kinda looking forward to them (a little fear tingling down my spine..).
Boeroer

Post by Boeroer »

Gekkibi wrote:[...]so that the game would be more accessible and enjoyable to "those retard nutjobs that belong to a psychward".
ROFL :D
What price the world? What? That expensive? Then I'll take a small coke...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I think that this would be the best choice; a developer supplied console hack for special case replacement... That would allow 'spider = 0', 'undead = 0', or similar, and avoid a lengthy checklist in the menu; and more importantly (IMO), have the hack not be officially supported... for obvious reasons of time constraints and the testing it would otherwise need.
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

Isaac wrote:
I think that this would be the best choice; a developer supplied console hack for special case replacement... That would allow 'spider = 0', 'undead = 0', or similar, and avoid a lengthy checklist in the menu; and more importantly (IMO), have the hack not be officially supported... for obvious reasons of time constraints and the testing it would otherwise need.
The only problem is that the existence of this feature wouldn't be so obvious. You would have to know about the command (and understand how to activate the console). What you suggested would work with me, but Legend of Grimrock players have pretty high average age, and the older the player is the bigger the chance that he knows absolutely nothing about consoles.

The reason why I'd like to see an official no spider mode is more or less the same: you would have to understand where to find mods and how to install them. Also, what happens if you want to play the game after 20 years and can't find the mod any longer? The reason why I'm not buying the game without no spider mode is because it takes time before someone makes a mod for it, and there's no reason to own a game if you're not going to play it. It's possible there are few Steam discounts before the mod is released.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Gekkibi wrote:The only problem is that the existence of this feature wouldn't be so obvious. You would have to know about the command (and understand how to activate the console). What you suggested would work with me, but Legend of Grimrock players have pretty high average age, and the older the player is the bigger the chance that he knows absolutely nothing about consoles.
I know, but this could be made obvious on any page where one might buy the game; it could even include mention of it in the ReadMe file, and/or the game's install menu.

* I am rather against there being a spoiler filled check list in the options menu that lists all the creatures in the game and asks whether they are alright to include. Developer instructions could be as simple as ~start a new game, type '\ spider = 0', press the Enter key and exit the console.
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

Isaac wrote:
Gekkibi wrote:The only problem is that the existence of this feature wouldn't be so obvious. You would have to know about the command (and understand how to activate the console). What you suggested would work with me, but Legend of Grimrock players have pretty high average age, and the older the player is the bigger the chance that he knows absolutely nothing about consoles.
I know, but this could be made obvious on any page where one might buy the game; it could even include mention of it in the ReadMe file, and/or the game's install menu.

* I am rather against there being a spoiler filled check list in the options menu that lists all the creatures in the game and asks whether they are alright to include. Developer instructions could be as simple as ~start a new game, type '\ spider = 0', press the Enter key and exit the console.
If it would be documented then absolutely!