Please do something about the spiders :(

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Gekkibi

Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Gekkibi »

The spiders are the only reason why I'm not buying the game now. I'm hoping for a built-in option that would swap the spiders to something completely different (if nothing else, The Cow from Grimrock video) so that we (those who really don't like spiders) don't have to wait for a mod.

in b4 namecalling and that it's irrational to be afraid of spiders...
antti

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by antti »

A thought just occurred to me: it should be possible to create a piece of script, which when entered to the game's console, switches all the spiders (and things that spawn spiders) to a monster of another type. No promises though, but in theory this should work.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Would it be enough to flat shade the spiders green or some other color?

Like the Cazador bugs in this image:
SpoilerShow
It would make the spiders 'paper' silhouettes. [And this could just be a texture change... and possibly a sound effect change.]
Gekkibi wrote:in b4 namecalling and that it's irrational to be afraid of spiders...
No one here will say that... but discomfort can be lessened with effort, and while a simulated spider might be very creepy, it could also be a tool to work with.
(I don't mean in the game; I mean in your own maps.)
antti wrote:A thought just occurred to me: it should be possible to create a piece of script, which when entered to the game's console, switches all the spiders (and things that spawn spiders) to a monster of another type. No promises though, but in theory this should work.
It should spawn [and do] more than that... it should have to remove webs and eggs... basically make locations not look like spider dens; and still spawn a creature of comparable threat ~throughout the entire game in each location.

But... the simplest thing [a monster only swap] would be something like the Will-o'-the-wisps in the ORRR2 mod.
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

Isaac wrote:
Gekkibi wrote:in b4 namecalling and that it's irrational to be afraid of spiders...
No one here will say that... but discomfort can be lessened with effort, and while a simulated spider might be very creepy, it could also be a tool to work with.
(I don't mean in the game; I mean in your own maps.)
During Grimrock 1 discussion it escalated to a namecalling where pretty much everyone who opposed the idea proved that they have no idea what's the difference between rational and irrational fear.
Isaac wrote:
antti wrote:A thought just occurred to me: it should be possible to create a piece of script, which when entered to the game's console, switches all the spiders (and things that spawn spiders) to a monster of another type. No promises though, but in theory this should work.
It should spawn [and do] more than that... it should have to remove webs and eggs... basically make locations not look like spider dens; ans still spawn a creature of comparable threat ~throughout the entire game in each location.
I have no problems with webs and eggs. While there can be some who are afraid of those, I personally don't know anyone who is. (EDIT: I meant in video games. Games are controlled environments. It does not matter that you see a web if you know there will be no spiders)
Last edited by Gekkibi on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Gekkibi wrote:...
What about the flat shaded models instead of textured models?

(It would seem non-invasive ~considering how close they are to releasing the game; a simple material swap.)

*But they do have a host of other monsters they could switch them out for, that would certainly be the best looking solution.
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

Isaac wrote:
Gekkibi wrote:...
What about the flat shaded shapes instead of textured models?

(It would seem non-invasive ~considering how close they are to releasing the game; a simple material swap.)

*But they do have a host of other monsters they could switch them out for, that would certainly be the best looking solution.
Could work. Complete swap would probably be better, but I'm happy if we get any kind of solution so that we can enjoy the game. :)
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Seriously? Again with the arachnophobes? I am sure there are also people who have a fear of enclosed spaces who find the dungeon crawling incredibly oppressive and impossible to bear but they don't come here asking for the removal of dungeons.
Boeroer

Post by Boeroer »

Calm down. If this swapping would be optional and not too much work for AH everybody will be happy.
What price the world? What? That expensive? Then I'll take a small coke...
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

Curunir wrote:Seriously? Again with the arachnophobes? I am sure there are also people who have a fear of enclosed spaces who find the dungeon crawling incredibly oppressive and impossible to bear but they don't come here asking for the removal of dungeons.
I knew you are going to reply to this thread...
1) Arachnophobia is by far the most popular phobia. Approximately 5% of us have it.
2) It is possible to get rid of the spiders without changing gameplay AT ALL.

First of all please give me a link to another existing Grimrock 2 spider thread. If you can't then kindly leave this thread.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

The percentage is actually much higher but it's not in a crippling form that would not allow you to even look at the moving picture of a spider on a 2D screen. Heck, I am intensely disgusted by spiders but when I see one, I just squash it.

Surely, you understand that the people with arachnophobia crippling enough to prevent them from playing the game probably comprise less than 1% of the customer base for Grimrock 2?
Likewise, you understand that development time could be devoted to things that would appeal to more people.

This is without saying that spiders are an RPG staple and walking into an RPG you should expect to find them, much like when you walk into a first person shooter you should expect blood and may want to stay away if you're severely hemophobic. I'm not trying to invalidate your problem, I'm just trying to help you see how marginal it is. An equal number of people may have an issue with any other type of enemy - does this mean AH should replace those too?