GOG and future Mac downloads

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
jwdenzel

GOG and future Mac downloads

Post by jwdenzel »

Congratulations on the new game. I'll definitely be getting it right away.

That said, are there any plans to make this available on Gog.com like you did for LoG1?

Also, if we buy the PC version right away, will we be eligible to get the Mac version later when it becomes available?
eisberg

Re: GOG and future Mac downloads

Post by eisberg »

Yes, but that is because you can use the Steam key you'll get, and if/when they release a Mac version you get the mac version as well on Steam.
Vainamoinen

Post by Vainamoinen »

I second that GOG preorders should be set up ASAP. :D

Humble DRM free is great and all, but being slapped with an additional Steam key strikes me as an unfair advantage in competition and needless catering to the monopoly. I'd rather not support Valve, however microscopic their share, and go through GOG.

Yet I'm still VERY willing to pre-order Grimrock 2, and I usually don't pre-order anything, ever! :)
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

Pelase, make it available on gog.com like GR1 was at relase. I wanna play it asap :( :(

(btw, funny 'captcha' thing you got to confirm registration :mrgreen: )
petri

Post by petri »

Vainamoinen wrote:Humble DRM free is great and all, but being slapped with an additional Steam key strikes me as an unfair advantage in competition and needless catering to the monopoly. I'd rather not support Valve, however microscopic their share, and go through GOG.
I think you are mistaken. When you buy directly from us, you don't support Steam. We get 95% of the revenue, Humble gets 5% because our store is powered by Humble's servers and widget.
Vainamoinen

Post by Vainamoinen »

Not mistaken, just misunderstood.

Humble is mostly a Steam key reseller, and even if Valve does not get a share out of the whole deal, the free distribution of their keys shows the simply inacceptable industry influence of the service. How can there be competition if their hosting services are given away for nothing? How can there be competition if customers get confused whenever they buy a game without a "bonus" Steam key?

I'll buy LoG2 eventually, because it's DRM free after all, but I would indeed prefer a DRM free version from an actually independent service. :?

However, an actual answer to the thread's question would be very welcome.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

Just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time. I, for one, honestly appreciate that a purchase direct from AH (i.e. via the Humble Store) provides BOTH a DRM-free version and a Steam Key, because it seems very often these days that the customer must be forced to choose between the two and not get to capitalize on both options.

To your direct point, though:
How can there be competition if their hosting services are given away for nothing? How can there be competition if customers get confused whenever they buy a game without a "bonus" Steam key?
Well, their competitors could go ahead and do the same thing if they'd like, but I think the reality is that this is a space we're not going to be likely to see much in the way of major competition given the structure of the model unless games hosted by these platforms became completely DRM-free across the board and provided easy ways to export and import libraries in bulk. People, such as myself, who have amassed a collection on one platform or another are unlikely to want competition. We will, however, prefer to keep our titles centralized in which platform we have opted to support to keep from arbitrarily segregating our collection of games.

What gain could their be for someone like myself with hundreds of Steam titles if another platform comes along that I can't port those games to? It's already bad enough that I have four separate platforms that I support to deal with (GOG, Steam, Desura, and the collection of DRM-free games I keep local and offsite backup copies of). Do I really want more competition in this area to further divide my game library?
petri

Post by petri »

Vainamoinen wrote:I'll buy LoG2 eventually, because it's DRM free after all, but I would indeed prefer a DRM free version from an actually independent service. :?
I'm trying to follow your logic, but I'm lost.. You get both a DRM free version and a Steam key if you buy from us, where's the catch again? Do you mean that we should set up our own servers for distributing the game instead of using Humble's servers, or what's the problem?
J. Trudel

Post by J. Trudel »

petri wrote:
Vainamoinen wrote:I'll buy LoG2 eventually, because it's DRM free after all, but I would indeed prefer a DRM free version from an actually independent service. :?
I'm trying to follow your logic, but I'm lost.. You get both a DRM free version and a Steam key if you buy from us, where's the catch again? Do you mean that we should set up our own servers for distributing the game instead of using Humble's servers, or what's the problem?
I guess he thinks Humble bundle is associated with Valve because he gets a Steam key too. He should do like me and buy it both from you and GOG.
The Lurker
petri

Post by petri »

Ah ok, I see. And I can understand why it looks that way. It's just so much easier for developers to have the game on Steam and make the keys available through multiple stores. E.g. making a new version available to all users takes only a couple of minutes.