Directional Facing of party members for melee

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
BuzzJ

Directional Facing of party members for melee

Post by BuzzJ »

Dungeon Master allowed you to fight enemies in melee that you were not directly facing torwards, specifically to the right, left, and behind. This was achieved by right clicking on the party member in the orientation box. It also automatically did this when you were attacked on a flank.

This is a good feature.
badhabit

Re: Directional Facing of party members for melee

Post by badhabit »

BuzzJ wrote:Dungeon Master allowed you to fight enemies in melee that you were not directly facing torwards, specifically to the right, left, and behind. This was achieved by right clicking on the party member in the orientation box. It also automatically did this when you were attacked on a flank.

This is a good feature.
Well, yeahh... even if I sound like a old grumpy gamer... but I would also enjoy many of the advanced features DM had to offer which LoG misses currently. Somehow it is ironic that game mechanic wise games are significantly simpler than 20 years ago...with LoG one of the more complex one *sigh* ;P

(PS: I loved the heck out of LOG, no question about that... :) even when I had the feeling game mechanic wise DM was more advanced and polished than LoG.)
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

For many games, particularly action games or rpg's with a single character, the designers are open about trying to simplify mechanics. It emphasizes experiencing things as close to living them as possible; if you're slaying dragons or shooting space-fascists there would be no HUD or directional facing buttons. (Of course I know that we are not and would not really do these things so reality isn't necessary.)

With Grimrock though it's just that funding a game is a hell of a lot harder than in DM'S day. :P
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

Asteroth wrote:For many games, particularly action games or rpg's with a single character, the designers are open about trying to simplify mechanics. It emphasizes experiencing things as close to living them as possible; if you're slaying dragons or shooting space-fascists there would be no HUD or directional facing buttons. (Of course I know that we are not and would not really do these things so reality isn't necessary.)

With Grimrock though it's just that funding a game is a hell of a lot harder than in DM'S day. :P
But I would argue that having the possibility to "control" the facing direction is more "close to living" than missing this possibiity or making "guessing" automatisms.
A LoG example is the autopick up behaviour of throwing weapons: well meant, but inherently broken as thrown weapons are not properly reloaded and also not auto-pick-uped if they had ended on floor switches (maybe the better solutions would have been here a control option which allows to control the character behaviour, also DM had a own inventory part where auto-reload of arbitrary throwing weapons worked useful, some leg-bag.).