Missile weapons - Good or bad?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
skugge

Missile weapons - Good or bad?

Post by skugge »

Looking at different guides and faqs it seems to me a popular opinion is that Missile weapons just arent cutting it in Legend of Grimrock 2. Its just not on par with throwing weapons and the rate which you find these for use in the game.

So I wanna ask you guys what you think. Players of grimrock do you agree or disagree? Please explain your thoughtwork behind it.

To the developers of the game I would like to ask: Do you think these people are just not understanding the game well enough to see it is balanced? Or do you think they are right and the balance between them are not good enough? Are there clear benefits to gain from choosing both?
Dr.Disaster

Re: Missile weapons - Good or bad?

Post by Dr.Disaster »

I fooled around a lot with both throwing and missile weapons in LoG2 and can understand the sentiment. While i found both weapon classes pretty balanced in itself there are two mayor reasons why throwing weapons are generally prefered in LoG 2:

1) In LoG2 building up Throwing skill to level 5 doubles a Thrower's damage output by granting him Double Throw (one weapon thrown from each hand) without any extra requirements i.e. mana, cool-down or execution time while all Missile users can get is some armor piercing.

FYI: in LoG 1 both Throwers and Missile users could build up Double Throw / Double Shot for the exact same amount of skill points.

2) In LoG 2 throwing damage is build with Strength while missile damage is build with Dexterity. This in itself ain't a bad thing but it is way easier to build a Strength-based character in LoG 2 then a Dexterity-based one.

FYI: In LoG 1 both throwing and missile damage was Strength-based.

Beside those disadvantages I can also tell that missiles still cut it in LoG 2.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =352993077
skugge

Post by skugge »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:22 pm I fooled around a lot with both throwing and missile weapons in LoG2 and can understand the sentiment. While i found both weapon classes pretty balanced in itself there are two mayor reasons why throwing weapons are generally prefered in LoG 2:

1) In LoG2 building up Throwing skill to level 5 doubles a Thrower's damage output by granting him Double Throw (one weapon thrown from each hand) without any extra requirements i.e. mana, cool-down or execution time while all Missile users can get is some armor piercing.

FYI: in LoG 1 both Throwers and Missile users could build up Double Throw / Double Shot for the exact same amount of skill points.

2) In LoG 2 throwing damage is build with Strength while missile damage is build with Dexterity. This in itself ain't a bad thing but it is way easier to build a Strength-based character in LoG 2 then a Dexterity-based one.

FYI: In LoG 1 both throwing and missile damage was Strength-based.

Beside those disadvantages I can also tell that missiles still cut it in LoG 2.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =352993077
That is some nice points. I appreciate the feedback. What is your opinion on the armor piercing? Is it important? Does this AP vs. Double damage mean that Throwing weapons almost do the double amount of DPS?

And damn! That your solo rogue? I guess I dont have to worry about having a missile weapon on my next run which I plan to do Hard and perhaps Iron man =). (And with a full party!)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

skugge wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 pm What is your opinion on the armor piercing? Is it important? Does this AP vs. Double damage mean that Throwing weapons almost do the double amount of DPS?
Adding armor piercing to missile weapons will help delivering more damage to a target since the target's protection / armor value is lowered by 20 points. IIRC protection 20 is the top value of regular monsters in LoG 2 which means each arrow or bolt will deal at least it's full damage range while each and all throwing weapons will suffer some damage reduction. I just can't tell how much.
skugge wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 pm And damn! That your solo rogue? I guess I dont have to worry about having a missile weapon on my next run which I plan to do Hard and perhaps Iron man =). (And with a full party!)
Aye, no need to worry. Just make sure to stay on Dexterity road which is also nice for daggers.
Voskhod_02

Post by Voskhod_02 »

Yeah, Missile weapons are not that easy to use; if you max Dexterity on your character, you may get something interesting out of it, but dexterity-oriented character builds are less polyvalent than the strength-oriented one. Or, to make it clearer, you have more strength-oriented options than dexterity-oriented ones.
So yeah, for a novelty/original gameplay experience, you can go for a dexterity-oriented build and thus use missile weapons, but if you're discovering the game or are trying to make an "easy and efficient" build, it's better to create a strength-oriented character.