Grimrock 2 impossible for some?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Anurias

Re: Grimrock 2 impossible for some?

Post by Anurias »

Just to note, 3 of those 4 lists are the exact same list just reposted to different websites. I also question what the criteria is for rating; some of those games I feel should be ranked a lot higher than they are. However, that's just based on my opinions of those games in relation to my opinions of other games ranked higher on the lists.
Azel

Post by Azel »

Oh yeah, oops. The IGN and Giant Bomb links are the main ones. I know there were a few others but I prolly copy n' pasted wrong.

Agreed that some should be higher on the list, although I love that Chrono Trigger is ranked #2 on IGN. That is definitely one of my all time favorite. Next to the first Final Fantasy and Shining Force. I am sad that the Witcher isn't on any list. I loooove that RPG series!

You know, if Grimrock 1 and 2 were combined in to a single game, then it would undoubtedly be a top contender for "one of the all time best RPG's." Combining would be amazing: you start off trapped in an underground prison, and eventually escape to the surface... which is an Island governed by a Trickster and Island Master. Together it makes for an epic story and experience.

One thing I noticed is that some of these Top RPG lists include MMORPG's... which I think is unfair (and inaccurate). Massive Multiplayer games are more concerned with player-to-player social immersion, as opposed to "game world" immersion. Most MMO's are released with very little game content simply because they have enough social multiplayer content (Warhammer Online, Shadowbane, the first release of both Star Wars MMO's, DAOC, Age of Conan, and plenty more). As time went on it became clear that the best way for an MMO to survive is for the game to become more like a single player RPG. Final Fantasy (XIV) Online comes to mind. Thus, games like World of WarCraft have thrived due to the huge plots, quests, and storyline.

So in my opinion, the fact that an MMO is successful only when it mimics what a traditional RPG provides automatically excludes MMO's from any RPG rating list. MMO's belong in their own list. hmph!

Well, this might be an opportune moment to pick "your #1 pick" for Best RPG of all time. If you were trapped on an Island, what RPG would you want to be stuck playing? I am going to be a fanboi and pick Grimrock 2. Mostly because of the Game Editor. If I'm trapped on an Island... might as well get busy making my own Mod's :shock:
Anurias

Post by Anurias »

That seems a bit ironic... being trapped on an island and you have 1 game that you can play that just happens to be a game about being trapped on an island...
DonEmilio

Post by DonEmilio »

Great game, but some puzzles, like the entrance to the cemetery or finding the fifth shrine, can be frustrating and puzzling :D Sometimes you feel like looking for a needle in a haystack in such an open world, that feeling you get when you get stuck, one of my biggest jams was because I didn't see that in one place there was a brown key lying on the ground (in the sewer mousetrap), objects on the ground should be more seen, shiny or luminous. It would have been nice if the characters gave some clues from time to time depending on the area, talked to each other (character 1 says something to character 4, for example) or joked. As for the difficulty of the fights I hardly notice any difference between "Normal" and "Hard" the technique is the same, dodge and attack to do as much damage as possible and avoid being surrounded or cornered by enemies.

Greetings!
Last edited by DonEmilio on Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Hmm, the more open nature of the second game certainly opens it up to criticism of being less tight and focused. Maybe that's why I never finished it either!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

The most intense and best gaming experience that I recall of the last decade was my first day first play —Ironman/single use crystal— session with Grimrock 2. I played it nightly for more than a week, until I completed the game; including Trickster's lair.

I wish they'd make more—at least in the style of LoG2, and I wish Petri would open up the Shinobi engine for use in games akin to Temple of Elemental Evil—or make some of these themselves.

*But... for some reason I do seem to prefer LoG1 to LoG2, as far as aesthetics go. I am not sure why... because you can replicate the first game in the second one. :?:
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Isaac wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:30 pm The most intense and best gaming experience that I recall of the last decade was my first day first play —Ironman/single use crystal— session with Grimrock 2. I played it nightly for more than a week, until I completed the game; including Trickster's lair.

I wish they'd make more—at least in the style of LoG2, and I wish Petri would open up the Shinobi engine for use in games akin to Temple of Elemental Evil—or make some of these themselves.

*But... for some reason I do seem to prefer LoG1 to LoG2, as far as aesthetics go. I am not sure why... because you can replicate the first game in the second one. :?:
Try mod Crack of Doom, one of most intense combat mod.
andyroosta

Post by andyroosta »

Isaac wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:30 pm The most intense and best gaming experience that I recall of the last decade was my first day first play —Ironman/single use crystal— session with Grimrock 2. I played it nightly for more than a week, until I completed the game; including Trickster's lair.

I prefer Grimrock 1 also probably because it's tighter and more focused..and claustrophobic!

Love both games and hope one day the programmers get together again for another game in the series.

Thank goodness there are some marvelous mods to play!