[mod-wip] Treasury - General Help Me

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Glew

Re: [mod-wip] Treasury - General Help Me

Post by Glew »

-edit: Ah, never mind. I'll probably redesign the thing.

So I got most of what I wanted in this particular room to work - mostly.
But there is one major problem I'm not sure how to solve, except to redesign the whole thing. And I don't want to redesign, I like this idea :(

So my problem is with the poison cloud spell - of course. It lasts too long, overlaps with itself and contains too many particles.
I want to gradually fill up a room with poison gas as if it was coming out of 2 demon heads. It starts out in 1-1 squares in front of the heads, then 2x2, 3x3 etc. A poison cloud lingers for about 10 seconds [btw, is there any documentation on exactly how long it lasts?] so I need to wait about 10 sec between spawns or they will overlap and lag badly. And that is a bit harmful for the tension I wanted to build :S

Is there anything to be done to reduce the duration of the spells (with a custom spell for example)? I searched the forums, but what I found looked pretty intimidating. Also can something be done about the particle effects? I know my laptop is kinda old, so maybe better PCs would lag less, but I don't want to rely on that.
There isn't anything about spell duration in the asset definitions. I have found the particle definition for poison_cloud but I wouldn't dare fiddling with it on my own.

If it would be too complicated, I guess I can re-work the spreading part and code it so new spawns wouldn't overlap with the old ones that still linger; and this way I could speed up the process of filling up the room. But I'd prefer not to...
Glew

Post by Glew »

Hi!

I tried to make a custom asset, that functions as a receptor but looks like a lock on the wall. It does not work.
Any idea why? I mean it functions as a receptor, but does not look like a lock.

Code: Select all

defineObject{
	name = "magic_lock",
	class = "Receptor",
	model = "assets/models/env/wall_lock.fbx",
	placement = "wall",
	editorIcon = 72,
}
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

It's not defined as a lock. If you look close, you will see that the lock model is placed center and half way in the ground at whatever wall you put it on. This is because locks are their own class of object, and their placement by the engine is different.

What might be better to do is simply to place a lock and a hidden_receptor on the same wall, connect the receptor to a script that does what you want it to do. If you want the lock to not accept keys after the receptor is triggered, use the receptor script to either change the accepted key [to something not available to the player], or destroy the lock.
Glew

Post by Glew »

Aha. Yeah, I discovered that I can just use a hidden receptor. But I though with all this fancy scripting I have been learning (dabbling with) I could do something more elegant than that. :lol: Well never mind. The important thing is that it works.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Glew wrote:Aha. Yeah, I discovered that I can just use a hidden receptor. But I though with all this fancy scripting I have been learning (dabbling with) I could do something more elegant than that. :lol: Well never mind. The important thing is that it works.
If you plan to use these lock/receptors a lot, then you might write a script that auto spawns both with the connections, and that get their orientation from the script object itself. ;)
*That way, you just place the script object [with facing] where you want the lock/receptor to appear; and copy/paste new scripts for other locations.
Glew

Post by Glew »

I believe I have seen shields mounted on the walls in some mods. I hoped it would be included in an asset mod, but I couldn't find one. Do you know of such a thing?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Glew wrote:I believe I have seen shields mounted on the walls in some mods. I hoped it would be included in an asset mod, but I couldn't find one. Do you know of such a thing?
The 'trick' is to define an alcove that accepts only the shield items; and perhaps just one at a time. Alcove definitions allow for custom orientation [rotation] of the placed item; you arrange it to look how you want it to hang. All of this is done in the definition.

The model can be modified or designed from scratch in an editor, like Blender or 3DStudio. Something like a nail could be extracted from an existing model; a lever perhaps, and placed using the GMT. The alcove itself is invisible without the model, and the model doesn't have any tangible effect on the placement of the item.
Glew

Post by Glew »

I see. I hoped there would be a known public solution, like the dragon mouth socket. Maybe I'll search around the custom alcove thread. I am not going to delve into 3D modelling just for this ^^

edit: ah, surprisingly little searching around lead me to it 8-)
http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/ ... 3D67&pUp=1
Glew

Post by Glew »

I've run into an other unexpected problem/bug. Not unexpectedly I want to place several treasures in this dungeon. Most if not all of them are going to be custom assets. Some of them are just cloned revamps of the original treasures, but some of them are treasure variants of "mundane" items.
Right now I have 1 revamped goblet (cloned, changed description), one golden orb and one custom book with the "treasure = true," definition added.
When I playtest in the editor, it says 1/2, 2/2 or 3/2 treasures found. How do I make it display the right amount of total treasures?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Glew wrote:I've run into an other unexpected problem/bug. Not unexpectedly I want to place several treasures in this dungeon. Most if not all of them are going to be custom assets. Some of them are just cloned revamps of the original treasures, but some of them are treasure variants of "mundane" items.
Right now I have 1 revamped goblet (cloned, changed description), one golden orb and one custom book with the "treasure = true," definition added.
When I playtest in the editor, it says 1/2, 2/2 or 3/2 treasures found. How do I make it display the right amount of total treasures?
Example treasure from the Grimrock asset pack:

Code: Select all

defineObject{
		name = "golden_chalice",
		class = "Item",
		uiName = "Golden Chalice",
		description = "A beautifully crafted chalise with gem decorations. It must be worth a fortune.",
		model = "assets/models/items/goblet.fbx",
		gfxIndex = 200,
		weight = 0.3,
		glitterEffect = "glitter_gold",
		treasure = true,
	}
Note the last two lines; glitterEffect is an optional twinkle to the item, while treasure marks the item officially as treasure.