[Mod] The Elder of Murwynd Woods - release version 1.05

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: [Mod] The Elder of Murwynd Woods - release version 1.05

Post by Isaac »

Fagris wrote:SoI have to live with it. Thanks for the quiiick answer :)
As was said, the comma key disables the Quick-bar. However... It's not too obtrusive to rest the bar just over the character portraits, and the functions are useful once accustomed to them. :)
RMariano

Post by RMariano »

Somebody please tell me what to do with the Green Bush..

I'm about to go thru for a third time trying to find and solve everything. Yeah, that's how good this Mod is.
Regards,

RMariano
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

RMariano wrote:Somebody please tell me what to do with the Green Bush..

I'm about to go thru for a third time trying to find and solve everything. Yeah, that's how good this Mod is.
Where can I find this easter egg?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

SpoilerShow
It's just a bush; but it's instantly recognizable as a "Lands of Lore" reference... and easter egg for those who'd know it.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Well you can
a) gaze at it
b) click on it
c) listen to it
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

just finished mod and wanted to thank you for 2 hours of my live spent with this level. Lotsa custom assets in its best use, really enjoyed it. Whole level was nicely done, quite easy and well-arranged layout, not too much wandering around. The same is for riddles. I really loved the custom objects (animated human etc...), really wonderfull job.
Thanks for it and looking forward LOG2 and your custom work.
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
Fagris

Post by Fagris »

Thank you all for the info rgd the ui issue ...

Now back to the mod as I wanted to share following observation:
When I drink a water flask by dragging it over the avatar pic and left click, the drinking sound can be heard and
... the water flask disappeared! Has anyone else noticed this? I eventually could spawn it but would prefer to leave the console alone.. ;-)
RMariano

Post by RMariano »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
Well you can
a) gaze at it
b) click on it
c) listen to it
IOW, it does nothing. A nifty Red Herring. :D
Regards,

RMariano
Anthony Xue

Post by Anthony Xue »

Great mod. Outstanding art and assets, amazing level of detail (the falling leaves!), great ideas, and it all just fits seamlessly into the existing Grimrock world.

Now I don't want to be a nitpicker, but the one thing that could have used some improvement is the texts. I'm not saying they are bad, but if everything else is just about perfect, the one part that isn't stands out :roll: . I probably wouldn't care if the mod was primarily about the puzzles, but your main focus seems to be atmosphere, and texts can go a long way here (especially since we don't have much in the way of movie sequences or amimated dialogues in Grimrock). Maybe next time enlist some assistance there? In the other areas, you obviously don't need any, so please continue!
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Fagris wrote:... the water flask disappeared!
Ups !! :oops: you have found a bug, I just tested this and when you have one flask it disappears, if you have a stack of flasks it only returns 1 empty flask. Seems I have failed math again somewhere in this lua spaghetti madness ;)
Anthony Xue wrote:Now I don't want to be a nitpicker, but the one thing that could have used some improvement is the texts.
And I agree, English is my second learned foreign language (for some abominable reason all Icelanders are taught Danish as the first foreign language), but that's no excuse, the truth is that story telling and script writing is an art form by itself, one that I have no experience in.
I created the environment first, then tried to come up with a story that fits in that environment, the story is therefore limited by the surroundings, it then gets severely limited by what I can pull off on the screen. At first you needed to fight the elder, but my animations made stick figures look like a Pixar tour de force, I then created a semi decent idle animation for the dialog and he then gets corrupted and polymorphs into a Goromorg, but that made no sense lore wise and just looked tacky, put you get the point, compromises on top of compromises :D

My ideal position going into a mod project would be model,texture and sound guy :) (elements that make up the visual environment), there isn't a single line of lua code in this mod that I can say is my own, as the saying goes, I'm a dwarf standing on the shoulders of giants :D

Thanks for playing Anthony, glad you liked it.

Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.