[MOD] The Curse of Gothmog

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Dr.Disaster

Re: [MOD] The Curse of Gothmog

Post by Dr.Disaster »

hansbleeb wrote:i leave the point on level 8 and going down.. after finishing level 13 and the dragon,s cave i am stuck at level 9 going down for the last key..
Ah that one .. made me think a bit too the first time; kept looking for missed buttons but nothing.
Then after sheding some light on the scene i discovered something and it was a piece of cake.
SpoilerShow
There is a reason why there are so many knifes and rocks available here.
hansbleeb

Post by hansbleeb »

but i have no rogue in my party.. is a rogue nessesary for throwing jobs?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

hansbleeb wrote:but i have no rogue in my party.. is a rogue nessesary for throwing jobs?
Anyone can throw things that do not require the Throwing Weapon skill.
hansbleeb

Post by hansbleeb »

i found it... back on level 5 now
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

4th play-thru complete with a lone mage:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =301846856
SpoilerShow
The bags on the left side of the inventory hold 6 health potions, 6 energy potions and 18 blue magic boxes.
The open bag has all leftover gems that got not used (and thus left behind) to open stuff.
The other bags hold jewelry, level-up gear, food, waterskins, various tools and items with charges.

The loot on the floor is:
4 chests full with dragon steaks
2 chests full with all treasures and eye's of magic
1 chest full with wands and their refill books
1 chest with both full mithril sets and some other stuff
1 bag with all unused cash
1 bag with 6 green magic boxes, ready for usage
1 bag of cheese

Of course all secret were gathered:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =301847836
The mage was noticeable faster then his rogue counterpart (13h less!), right from the start due to the AoE-effect of spells. It's way faster to hit/kill 2 or even 4 monsters in the same spot then going after them one by one. Once the energy pool grew bigger and especialy after the energy potion spell was found the mage became simply unstoppable. While the rogue had to rely several times on resources like magic boxes or item/wand charges to keep things under control the mage rarely had to use any gimmicks; guess I used 3 or 4 magic boxes and that's it.
lexdr

Post by lexdr »

Back from holidays!
Thank you very much Dr.Disaster for all the support you did to gamers both on steam and on this forum!!
:D

I've recorded your recommendations, but I will have no time to update the mod (neither to answer gamers' questions) for a while due to my job's overload...
:(

Thanks again,
Lex
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

How do I kill the beholders, brute force?
I blow the horn 3 times and get xp.. whats that for?
I am using Toorum, will he lose his sword ability? Looking at the chat on here you get a book, but I would like to just keep using a ranger.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Spathi wrote:How do I kill the beholders, brute force?
Like any other ranged monster. They have no immunities.
Spathi wrote:I blow the horn 3 times and get xp.. whats that for?
Like many items in this mod the Horn of Fear has several properties, depending on how/where it's used. As an item in hand it has the ability to turn/push monsters away. Used from inside the inventory it refills that characters energy. The experience gain is a side-effect on top of that.
Spathi wrote:I am using Toorum, will he lose his sword ability? Looking at the chat on here you get a book, but I would like to just keep using a ranger.
Straight to the point: if Toorum stays a ranger you will not be able to finish this dungeon.

Having at least one mage in your party is required for this mod which is also clearly stated in the mod's description. Without a mage you can get as far as level 11 but from there onward you definately need one so if you don't have a mage you need to transform one of your other characters.

With Toorum being usually alone he needs to become a full fledged mage to keep going and due to this he will lose all his ranger abilities. Now before you can transform him you have to find that book first on level 11, hidden in a secret.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

I could use some help please if anyone is still watching this thread.

"The Secrets must remain hidden. Key must remain sealed in the wall."
Does this riddle/puzzle refer to something nearby?
SpoilerShow
I found the button that reveals this riddle
Other than that I am not able to find anything unusual on that level.
SpoilerShow
No wall are breakable. Zo does nothing. Only one button and that is the one that opens access to the riddle note
Does this key reside somewhere farther up and that I have to return here?
thanks
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

sapientCrow wrote:"The Secrets must remain hidden. Key must remain sealed in the wall."
Does this riddle/puzzle refer to something nearby?
yes
sapientCrow wrote:Does this key reside somewhere farther up and that I have to return here?
no
SpoilerShow
While the main campaigns features no imaginery walls several mods do. Now this mod shows that imaginery walls can also cover parts of walls like an unbreakable tapestry.