Please help - weapon effects

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
The Doppelgamer

Please help - weapon effects

Post by The Doppelgamer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:07 am

I'm trying to set up all my weapons for a custom game I'm making, and I've hit a brick wall:
I can't seem to make custom weapons with effects like life leech or the shock effect from the Dismantler.

The weapon I'm having trouble with in particular is a flail that I want to have the shock damage of the Dismantler for.

cloneObject{
name = "mace_calamity", baseObject = "dismantler", uiName = "Calamity",
model = "assets/models/items/flail.fbx", gfxIndex = 87,
skill = "maces",
attackSound = "swipe", impactSound = "impact_blunt",
attackPower = 26, coolDownTime = 4.0, accuracy = -10, vitality = 2,
requiredLevel = 20,
}

The weapon works fine, except I've attacked about a hundred times with it and have yet to see the shock effect (and I assume that means the extra shock damage isn't procing either). This may also mess up another weapon I've made, but the solution to one should fix both. I haven't done ANY scripting yet, so if this is something that requires scripting (hopefully not), please bear with me ^^;

thanks
Check out my LoG2 Atlas Compendium (All Secrets, Treasures, Items, Equipment, Zones/Maps, & More!)
Also check out my LoG2 Icon

Darsithis

Re: Please help - weapon effects

Post by Darsithis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:11 am

You're going to have to learn scripting! You'll never be able to make any decent puzzles without it.

Have you tried something like damageType = "lightning" ? I'm not that familiar with effects on weapons, either; the few weapons I've made for my mods are usually fake weapons and items used to solve alcove puzzles.

Allanius2

Post by Allanius2 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:56 am

I looked at Dismantler definition in the Asset Pack and I see nothing that indicates any shock damage. Perhaps you should start with the original definition, see if that works and then slowly change things to your liking.

Code: Select all

defineObject{
		name = "dismantler",
		class = "Item",
		uiName = "The Dismantler",
		model = "assets/models/items/dismantler.fbx",
		description = "A legendary claymore forged deep in the underground magma furnaces.",
		skill = "swords",
		requiredLevel = 15,
		gfxIndex = 85,
		attackPower = 27,
		accuracy = 0,
		coolDownTime = 4,
		attackMethod = "meleeAttack",
		attackSwipe = "horizontal",
		attackSound = "swipe_special",
		impactSound = "impact_blade",
		weight = 4.8,
		achievement = "find_dismantler",
	}

The Doppelgamer

Post by The Doppelgamer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:18 am

That's odd, it certainly has an effect in game, so if it's not in the asset definition, it would definitely be a script.

Well if anyone knows of a script that could do that, or could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Also I could really use an example of how to use the "onEquipItem" definition, particularly for weapons equipped to the right/left hand.
Check out my LoG2 Atlas Compendium (All Secrets, Treasures, Items, Equipment, Zones/Maps, & More!)
Also check out my LoG2 Icon

msyblade

Post by msyblade » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:32 am

The dismantler's lightning damage is indeed hardcoded (meaning, it is done under the hood, in a manner that we do not have access to), along with many other "special properties" of powerful items. (ie: glow in the radiance orb, exp boost in the pendant, etc.) However, it CAN be scripted manually to have a similar effect. In fact, Isaac's foundry (ORRR2) contains many magical weapons, so, if I were you, I would start with the ORRR2 sources and see how he and Diarmuid pulled it off.

Hope this helps!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades

LocalFire

Post by LocalFire » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:07 am

Well Akroma has done alot of work in this area heres a link to his thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4088
My Dungeons
Paths of the Earth: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5136
Beneath the Sands: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5216
Videos: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5443