Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind playthrough

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Komag

Re: Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind play

Post by Komag »

Part 4 up:

http://youtu.be/RLxVzB1q9pg

The first three minutes came out dark for some reason, but I'm just talking there so it doesn't really matter.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Woohoo another great one, congrats on your progress. I wonder where you'll go next... things are still "relatively" linear at this stage, but it starts to open up.

One thing I discovered only last week: you can click on the "info" screens to get it to print instantly instead of writing it all out word by word. Quite useful when you get a long list of completed rooms or unlocked achievements.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Part 5 up, almost 1.5 hours, with mahric's room and Drakkan's room:

http://youtu.be/8kl8lqk3qNU
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Woohooo, thanks for all that. The hell with Game of Thrones season 4, I'm waiting for the next Komag let's play!
SpoilerShow
I was quite impressed with the gui stuff in mahric's room as well, it's one of the first rooms that came in almost a year ago and patiently waited there...

Spelling and grammar in Drakkan's room... well he's not a native english speaker, and we did A LOT of job with it since the first submission. I reread and corrected everything, then John Wordsworth went through it and fixed many more things, then I proofread it once again. With the amount of dialogue there is, and how it's buried in scripts and functions all around the place, it's sure that there are a lot of typos left, at one point I just got tired of sorting it out.

I did try to hint at you that saving is important here, and that's also why we added the crystal at the start, so that the player can get an autosave before the room. I was watching you pick "Scota" and was like... "nooooooooo......". But you went fast through it and managed to get the racoon amulet this time, so it all ended up good.

I don't know why you got such a choppy frame rate, both in mahric's and in drakkan's rooms... For me they both were running perfectly fine, but I guess it depends on machine specs, and the video recording to the disk probably doesn't help.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

That one was really fun to watch!
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

I have to wait to watch that one, because I took a different path. *sniff* :(
JKos

Post by JKos »

We want more! Come on, I just started to play yesterday, and I'm already way ahead of you. Maybe that's because I have tested all those rooms which you have played thus far in advance ;) But to be honest I was amazed how fast you solved Mahric's room for example, when I tested it first time it felt pretty tricky, I'm sure I spend much more time than half an hour. And that's weird that those dialogs do cause such a bad fps for you, I have a really old computer (core 2 duo, HD4600) and I don't have that problem.
- LoG Framework 2http://sites.google.com/site/jkoslog2 Define hooks in runtime by entity.name or entity.id + multiple hooks support.
- cloneObject viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8450
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

JKos wrote:And that's weird that those dialogs do cause such a bad fps for you, I have a really old computer (core 2 duo, HD4600) and I don't have that problem.
It is strange; I never had that problem either, and I'm on a Phenom 965 PC running XP64 with an GeForce 280.

*Looking forward to part six, and beyond. 8-)
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Isaac wrote:
JKos wrote:And that's weird that those dialogs do cause such a bad fps for you, I have a really old computer (core 2 duo, HD4600) and I don't have that problem.
It is strange; I never had that problem either, and I'm on a Phenom 965 PC running XP64 with an GeForce 280.

*Looking forward to part six, and beyond. 8-)
I'm running a big box computer that's at least 2 years old, with an integrated chipset, and I didn't have an issue with the frame rate, either...I'm thinking it's the recording software, too (just from my own experience).

And on the subject of poor frame rates: There is something that needs to be said. Remember waaaaay back around April of '12 when the original game first came out? Remember how many people couldn't get past level 2 or 3 (I was one of them) because the optimization wasn't very good, and timers for switches and pit traps were ticking at slower speeds for different people, even in small, enclosed rooms?

Now, think again to the moment you first stepped out into the main hub of this mod. Think about the vast negative space, the precisely plotted torches and crowerns, the sheer size of it all...and ask yourself how in the world such a thing is even possible.

I have some of the oldest files of the ORRR2 on my hard drive, and those frame rates ain't pretty. It is a testament to Diarmuid's incredible tenacity, dedication, drive and, (most likely) obsessive-compulsive behavior ( :D ) that this thing runs as smoothly as it does, particularly in the hub areas.

Knowing Diarmuid, he's going to downplay this...but I'm here to tell you: This was an insane task, and he worked for countless hours just on optimization, sometimes updating the early file multiple times a day.

This is not to take away from the amazing work that all the designers did (and the additional work that others took on as well), but every time I enter the hub, I still scratch my head in awe, and I cannot keep myself from stopping to stare at it - and I've been seeing it for a little over a year now. "Nice work, Diarmuid" doesn't do it justice, but...nice work, Diarmuid. This would have been just another collection of puzzle rooms without you tying it all together and giving players something they've never seen before.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

SpiderFighter wrote:Now, think again to the moment you first stepped out into the main hub of this mod. Think about the vast negative space, the precisely plotted torches and crowerns, the sheer size of it all...and ask yourself how in the world such a thing is even possible.

I have some of the oldest files of the ORRR2 on my hard drive, and those frame rates ain't pretty. It is a testament to Diarmuid's incredible tenacity, dedication, drive and, (most likely) obsessive-compulsive behavior ( :D ) that this thing runs as smoothly as it does, particularly in the hub areas.
He did the lion's share on the Hub to be sure; (and on the mod in general).

I remember that several assets like the columns and the chains were a real drag on the system originally.