Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind playthrough

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Diarmuid

Re: Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind play

Post by Diarmuid »

Thanks for the praise spider... It's true optimizing this was a very long and boring task, but it was worth it!

On the hub: it's worth noting that the marvelous chains and small pillars assets were built by Skuggasveinn, he really needs some credit on how awesome it looks.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Part 6 is up, 55 minutes:

http://youtu.be/4injFADHwZE

"Inversion" is the highlight here ;)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Diarmuid wrote:Thanks for the praise spider... It's true optimizing this was a very long and boring task, but it was worth it!

On the hub: it's worth noting that the marvelous chains and small pillars assets were built by Skuggasveinn, he really needs some credit on how awesome it looks.
Absolutely!! And I apologize for hijacking the thread; I'd had about 4 hours of sleep since Thursday morning and I was completely knackered when I wrote it (I've gotten 4 more hours since then)...because we were talking about frame rates, I thought this was the official mod thread. :oops:

And while we're on the subject:
Komag wrote:Part 6 is up, 55 minutes:

http://youtu.be/4injFADHwZE

"Inversion" is the highlight here ;)
Woo-hoo!! I *love* this room, and I can't wait to see your Let's Play! Seriously great job on these, Komag. I'm usually too impatient to watch whole gaming videos, but you have such a methodical method and interesting commentary that I'm enjoying every second.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Wooo this was a great 6th video Komag, thanks.

Spoiler free comments, apart one which i put in tags as it's giving out a secret:

Bugs you spotted I confirm:
- Stairs in mahric's room were indeed misaligned (appearing one step in front of it) - fixed for patch 3.
- Chains on the north side of the hub should ineed let crowerns pass - fixed for patch 3.
SpoilerShow
- The ogre shouldn't re-"destroy" everytime the already broken cracked wall in billick's room - fixed for patch 3. By the way, this broken wall model is by leki, and the secret was designed and added by me after betatesters suggested adding a little something to spice up Billick's room (and he checked and approved it of course). Many communal efforts in that mod.
Otherwise:
- I loved how you went a bit up to level 5 and back, looking at the central hub unwind bridge after bridge, and all the branching ways behind closed doors - you're starting to get a feel of how the thing is HUGE and getting more and more non-linear as you go.
- Glad to see little things intended to make you go "huh?" work well, like that receptor in the middle of the corridor.
- Ancylus' room is amazing, both in concept and execution. Some assets in there are technical marvels of scripting and engine-fiddling. What really amazed me was the attention to detail, which is maniacal. By the way, ancylus still has planted some surprises for you that I'm sure we'll see popping out in future videos. In one of my playthroughs, the hall of inversion caught me off-guard like 10 hours after I had left the room (!!!).
- Did you actually read *carefully* the numbers on the cloak of the elements, and remember what the room is?
- Lights in sideway passages were scripted and could be seen, but we had to cut them out to keep performance ok in the center, as you guessed. By the way, I mentionned skuggasveinn for the chains design, but we need also to thank Isaac who helped doing low-res (LOD) versions of them and other stuff seen from further away. By the way, performance-wise, having individual entities for all those elements you see on other floors was impossible. So I rebuilded the entire thing as a big 3d model that could be then sliced up in 1 or 2 big decorations only per dungeon level. For fun here's a shot of the model in the 3d software:

Looking forward to the next one, Neikun's room is quite a treat too.
Leki

Post by Leki »

Wow, what kind of incredible mastermind must be behind this "mega model system" idea :twisted:
I like "the ogre secret" - it was cool surprise to see breakable wall stuff there, so I'm curious who had use it - is it an original part of the room or the work of polisher team?
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
Jaberwoke

Post by Jaberwoke »

I look forward with relish your "Lets Play", Komag. Excellent. Your love of the game shines through.
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

Jaberwoke wrote:I look forward with relish your "Lets Play", Komag. Excellent. Your love of the game shines through.
I know this is Komag's thread but MrMarbod has already 4 parts out aswell. Good entertainment both.
My Grimrock mod (LoG1): The Onkalo Project
My Android (and windows desktop) game: Balloon Gentleman
Billick

Post by Billick »

Leki wrote:Wow, what kind of incredible mastermind must be behind this "mega model system" idea :twisted:
I like "the ogre secret" - it was cool surprise to see breakable wall stuff there, so I'm curious who had use it - is it an original part of the room or the work of polisher team?
Diarmuid PM'ed me with the suggestion after I had finished my room. I really liked the idea, but didn't have time to implement at the time, so he went ahead and implemented it himself. I think it really added a lot to the room while still fitting in nicely with the theme. The wall graphic looks really great!
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Komag may not have had time to post here, but his part 7 is now live on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21pNsXi ... 8ULyefL1-Q

:)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

@Komag: The stairway pillar overlaps have been fixed in the most recent patch; (AFAIK); I haven't updated my copy yet.