Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind playthrough

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
SpiderFighter

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [Release & Discussion]

Post by SpiderFighter »

Diarmuid wrote:I just finished watching it, it's so much cool, I just can't wait for the next one. :) Thanks for all the little typos in texts, I note everything down for corrections as I watch.
I'm having myself tested for dyslexia. The crazy thing is that you're (Komag) the only one who caught all of that, so at least it's not just me! :D
Komag

Re: Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind play

Post by Komag »

I'm definitely in favor of being able to revisit every prior location, so if it's at all reasonable to make that change for those three rooms it would be most welcome.

I also noticed that the final YouTube video is quite a bit darker than what I saw while playing and the raw videos FRAPS recorded and the mp4 rendered versions I made. When I make WMV renders, they are a bit lit up, almost washed out, but for the second part I've tested uploaded to YouTube the wmv version, hoping the end result it more normal lighting.

Here is part 2, just 20 min this time :)

http://youtu.be/OtuXod3FEeA
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

http://www.virtualdub.org/
This is an awesome tool, and it's free; it might take a few minutes to get used to it, but it's become my 'go to' editor of choice; and I use it before resorting to Adobe Premier.
(Premier is for those times when VirtualDub can't cut it.)

The program has some powerful plugins as part of it, and could lighten the video (among many other things).
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Yaaaaay, one more episode! But so short... :( I really like your let's play, commentery is great, super entertaining, I'll surely watch it all, even if at the current pace you're probably in for 30-40h I'd say. (I hope I'm not discouraging you, it's fantastic).

That signing rock is one of my favorite elements in the whole mod. Funny you wondered where you've heard it before, I guess you went "oh" right after shutting the video and coming back to the main screen. ;)
Komag wrote:I'm definitely in favor of being able to revisit every prior location, so if it's at all reasonable to make that change for those three rooms it would be most welcome.
It's already done in the Patch 1 that's coming Monday.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Good session, I'll watch each one start to finish also. 8-)

*The buttons are silent due to an unforeseen side effect of a late change; [ahem.. meaning it's my fault :oops: ].

It might be fixed in the patch (I don't know), but the ones that are silent are no longer important; it's actually a bit of a tell, so I hope we can fix it.

** On John's notebook... the red X at the top left is functional, it closes the book.
Last edited by Isaac on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Some comments on a couple of things you've already done:
Regarding the opening to level 7:
SpoilerShow
The rocks don't open the doors; you're simply placating them. You opened the level 7 entrance with the lever that was behind the gated section with the snail. You opened that section by standing in front of the blob generator (if you listen to 7:02 in your video, you can hear it open, even though you're blocking the blob from going into the receptor...no other portcullissusess open while you're standing there).
Regarding the Restricted Section:
SpoilerShow
Diarmuid will color that particular receptor green to show that it is different (thanks, Diarmuid!). Thanks to you and your first video for that! The clue was the "Types of Locks" scroll you found, but it's buried in the text and was far too obscure for anyone to really connect the dots (I'm sorry about that). So, yes, that goro did throw a poison bolt at it, opening it.
The video is a blast to watch! I can't wait to see you in some of the other rooms...there is so much greatness coming your way!!
Komag

Post by Komag »

It just hit me, at 6am in bed, what that singing rock was singing! Ha ha, can't believe I didn't fully recognize it in the moment :lol:

Nice to know about that red X functionality for the notebook. And thanks for clearing up how I actually opened those gates, I never would have known I was mistaken!
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Hi Komag,

I am preparing the Patch 1, which will be uploaded on nexus and steam in a few hours. I will replay "exactly" what you did based on the 2 first videos and send you a save game for the new patched version, that way you'll be able to continue playing with an up to date version, avoiding some uneccessary headaches for you.
Komag

Post by Komag »

I recently uploaded part 3, about 32 minutes:

http://youtu.be/aiZ-QOTeGlI

sorry, I would have waited for the patch! I'll wait before playing another segment. I could maybe restart on my own.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Komag wrote:I recently uploaded part 3, about 32 minutes:

http://youtu.be/aiZ-QOTeGlI

sorry, I would have waited for the patch! I'll wait before playing another segment. I could maybe restart on my own.
Great video! I'd forgotten how fun these kinds are to watch. I used to watch MyNameIsNotLilly's channel when he was uploading.
(Watched his full let's Play of Wasteland, Fallout, and his partial plat of Fallout 2; fun times.)

There will likely be another patch next Monday as well.