The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [Release] *PATCH 2*

Post by minmay »

Xanathar wrote:@minmay: I don't even know how to start commenting the fact that I made #1 :) really happy you liked the room so much.

Buuut...
SpoilerShow
However I have a confession to make :oops:
Probably you haven't played it, but also in my room - due to time constraint and lack of better ideas - I recycled some of the concepts from my mod :oops:

So the glasses concept is in my mod but with a different concept/result, and the wild magic thing too (albeit with a different wild surge table, plus there it's implemented as a class and not an item). The rest of course is new for this :)

Re: grammar mistakes... sorry, but I'm not a native English speaker, so it's difficult to even notice grammar errors (the same counts for most other authors with grammar mistakes there :) ).
SpoilerShow
The Sunset Gate was probably my favourite mod before this one was released. So yes, I've played it and I did notice the "recycling." But while you did reuse the concept of goggles/glasses that change the environment (and the model/sprite, but I don't mind that), I thought the way they were used was plenty different; the lenses made the gimmick feel like it was mainly about matching colours with concepts (the elements, Violet...) whereas in The Sunset Gate you simply equip them on the 3 (?) occasions where you know there's something invisible around.
And either way, the other puzzles in your roomwere very original (by Grimrock standards anyway) and the main reason I liked it so much. I guess I'm just fond of your work in general!
Diarmuid wrote:You survived 104 arena runs with Toorum? Damn. The arena should be more difficult. And I'm working on getting the overspawn fixed.
My experience was that the arena difficulty kind of peaks around 50-60 rounds since after that point you start getting tomes of health faster than the difficulty increases. I didn't even need to use potions.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

SpiderFighter wrote:The word is starting to get out there! In addition to Komag's really fun Let's Play series on YouTube, MrMarbod has started one as well!
That's cool! Although I do prefer Komag's style - he's methodic like I do -, that'll be fun to watch.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

minmay wrote:
Diarmuid wrote:You survived 104 arena runs with Toorum? Damn. The arena should be more difficult. And I'm working on getting the overspawn fixed.
My experience was that the arena difficulty kind of peaks around 50-60 rounds since after that point you start getting tomes of health faster than the difficulty increases. I didn't even need to use potions.
In addition the party levels up, gains skill tombs and better gear so she grows stronger with more and more battles done; i.e. my solo rogue just finished 100 runs and she handles them better and better.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
minmay wrote:
In addition the party levels up, gains skill tombs and better gear so she grows stronger with more and more battles done; i.e. my solo rogue just finished 100 runs and she handles them better and better.

This is a totally neat concept, that I could investigate, and enjoy more and more as I got deeper into it. My psyche could just take off and run with it! ORRR2, or Master Quest, right or wrong. It would be rewarding to delve into. @Diarmuid: The Arena has turned out GREAT. Thank you, great idea, and implementation (as an extra "add on" addition.) Xan's "Wild mage" approach is also super cool. Something about procedurally generated content that is fresh and new, instead of feeling re-hashed, is a true talent. Thank you gents!

I cannot stress enough how impressed I am that Diarmuid was able to tie all of us together, like he did. 3 Kudos awarded!

Soooo, 1 player, collecting the top 1% of the gear found, could be an unstoppable force. When opposed to splitting resources between 4 differing characters. I am compelled by the concept.

And thanx AH(Petri) for scrying this future long ago, and giving us the option of experimenting with a different way of playing, after becoming bored with the "vanilla/cardboard" approach.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
minmay wrote:
Ok, I just went over the arena script:
SpoilerShow
- I fixed the overlap bug. I didn't have anything to do with my script which was fine: it can never spawn more than 12 monsters. But the monsters somehow started moving into each other before collision detection kicked in (engine bug). Solution was to set everyone on "guard" when spawned, to give the engine time to figure out what monster is where.
- Changed the algorithm of difficulty from linear to exponential. Rounds 1-15 are now a bit easier, and things scale up afterwards, so that the new 50 is roughly equivalent to the old 75. The new 75 is equal to the old 145.
- Considered limiting the number of equipment, but you would end up getting only tomes, arrows bombs and potions at some point, a bit boring, and actually making the tome problem worse. So instead, I propose to limit the number of items spawned per round, going up with difficulty, +1 every 10 rounds. So max 2 items on rounds 1-10, then max 3 items rounds 11-20, max 4 items rounds 21-30, and so on. This will limit the amount of junk, and decrease the tomes spawning.
- items dropped my mosters will "disappear" after 5 rounds.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Diarmuid wrote:Ok, I just went over the arena script:
SpoilerShow
- I fixed the overlap bug. I didn't have anything to do with my script which was fine: it can never spawn more than 12 monsters. But the monsters somehow started moving into each other before collision detection kicked in (engine bug). Solution was to set everyone on "guard" when spawned, to give the engine time to figure out what monster is where.
- Changed the algorithm of difficulty from linear to exponential. Rounds 1-15 are now a bit easier, and things scale up afterwards, so that the new 50 is roughly equivalent to the old 75. The new 75 is equal to the old 145.
- Considered limiting the number of equipment, but you would end up getting only tomes, arrows bombs and potions at some point, a bit boring, and actually making the tome problem worse. So instead, I propose to limit the number of items spawned per round, going up with difficulty, +1 every 10 rounds. So max 2 items on rounds 1-10, then max 3 items rounds 11-20, max 4 items rounds 21-30, and so on. This will limit the amount of junk, and decrease the tomes spawning.
That's some pretty inspired thinking, right there.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Diarmuid wrote:Ok, I just went over the arena script:
SpoilerShow
I didn't say it was too easy; it got really painfull after about 30 or 40 runs. I'll check the new script once it's live.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

i am testing the balance still, toned it bit since my last post. the idea is that 15 must be easy to achieve, 30 quite normal for everyone, 50 really hard for dedicated players and 75 almost impossible for die-hard power parties.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

MrMarbod's second Let's Play of the ORRR2 is up. I've never watched this guy before, but he cracks me up. He doesn't stop talking for a moment, says "awesome" every few seconds, throws out random comments about bacon, and then -out of nowhere- discusses the Latin etymology of words. He also was amazed by my mixing two wall sets in the same room, but didn't even flinch when he walked out into the Hub. :shock: :lol:

EDIT: Oh, I guess that link is uber-high def. Here's the normal link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAeDnyxhGnw
boyflea

Post by boyflea »

Quick question to confirm: who is responsible for the areas like Vault, Arena, Condemned areas, the Six Seals etc. ?