The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [Release] *PATCH 2*

Post by minmay »

boyflea wrote:No idea what a
SpoilerShow
nonogram
is
boyflea wrote:
SpoilerShow
am currently looking at the level editor code and even have 4 patterns in LUA: how do I implement those patterns in this 9x9 room.
SpoilerShow
Wield Margonon's Wand and "attack" with it while facing one of the squares. This will light that square up. If you've been looking at the 'nonogram' script entity or dungeon.lua, you want to light up the squares corresponding to the 'X' characters.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
boyflea

Post by boyflea »

minmay wrote:
boyflea wrote:No idea what a
SpoilerShow
nonogram
is
boyflea wrote:
SpoilerShow
am currently looking at the level editor code and even have 4 patterns in LUA: how do I implement those patterns in this 9x9 room.
SpoilerShow
Wield Margonon's Wand and "attack" with it while facing one of the squares. This will light that square up. If you've been looking at the 'nonogram' script entity or dungeon.lua, you want to light up the squares corresponding to the 'X' characters.
thanks for this.
SpoilerShow
Just trying to understand how you figured this puzzle out, if you don't mind the interrogation: Could not see anything to indicate what the patterns were, what the relationship between wand and this room were or how the text on the wall relates to the puzzle. Is there some clue in the diary notes that I've missed? Please let me know how you deduced the puzzle - have the wand, diary pages, a blue lens and the goggles and that was all I could figure out. If it's just me being dense then fair enough, just say so. :)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Diarmuid wrote:i am testing the balance still, toned it bit since my last post. the idea is that 15 must be easy to achieve, 30 quite normal for everyone, 50 really hard for dedicated players and 75 almost impossible for die-hard power parties.
Seems ok so far ...
It got quite hard for my v1.3b solo mage at about 45 or so; not to talk about 60+ or even 70+.
without the ORRR2 spells Spell Shield + Hold Monster + Chain Lightning it would not have been possible at all and even then it takes a lot of tries.

In addition several times the magic surges caused my mage to lose an otherwise almost/already won battle. Some were fun so it wasn't too bad but one ("That's heavy!") has a bug and took me a bit to locate with console help: i usually play my solo chars in slot 2 or 4 but the item creating surges seem to dump their stuff into the first available free slot, char enabled or not, because along with that blasted anvil i found several Mark's on my disabled slot 1 char.

Ah and a small nit regarding the credits: in Drakkan's reference list is an almost duplicated line stating several games twice.
minmay

Post by minmay »

boyflea wrote:thanks for this.
SpoilerShow
Just trying to understand how you figured this puzzle out, if you don't mind the interrogation: Could not see anything to indicate what the patterns were, what the relationship between wand and this room were or how the text on the wall relates to the puzzle. Is there some clue in the diary notes that I've missed? Please let me know how you deduced the puzzle - have the wand, diary pages, a blue lens and the goggles and that was all I could figure out. If it's just me being dense then fair enough, just say so. :)
SpoilerShow
I figured it out by trying various interpretations of the numbers and eventually happened on the correct one; it helped that I was familiar with nonograms in the first place. There is an important additional clue which I didn't notice until after solving it: read "Margonon" backwards.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
boyflea

Post by boyflea »

minmay wrote:
boyflea wrote:thanks for this.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I figured it out by trying various interpretations of the numbers and eventually happened on the correct one; it helped that I was familiar with nonograms in the first place. There is an important additional clue which I didn't notice until after solving it: read "Margonon" backwards.
Thanks minmay for the response: I'd never heard of them until I read your example,
SpoilerShow
so for me this is a very extreme puzzle that - like a quiz-show - you either know or you don't know. I'll have another look and let you all know how I feel. I'm sure I am in another camp on these sort of puzzles from you I suspect - however the fact that we are both enjoying the dungeon proves it's diversity :)'
thanks again Xanathar and minmay!

DAVE
Dr.Disaster

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by Dr.Disaster »

btw .. anyone up for some ORRR2 related competition, i.e. like "count my anvils":
http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/333 ... 8D3CB5904/

hint: took me 77 battles to set it up :lol:
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

I'm sorry to hear about the bug of the disabled chars... :o

but the anvils!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

This is one of the most hilarious things I've seen lately. phew... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
boyflea

Post by boyflea »

Margonon's Room update: big spoiler, but am not just stuck but bewildered by this one.
SpoilerShow
I have beaten the warden and got the goggles
Used the goggles to nip downstairs to retrieve the blue lens,
Picked up teh purple wand form the alcove - it confirms it does nothing though works upstairs to turn squares white.
On the original floor, there is a door with a keyhole in I cannot enter
I have collected 7 diary pages, somr story, but in terms of clues ? 16-20-23-29-32-66-67?
Goggles/alcove hint allows me to leave room.
Have investigate the corridor of fireballs, but apart from locked tombs, nothing else is apparently accessible on this level.

So have been trying to take on the nonogram puzzle - blindly. Surely I've missed a very important step?

Nonogram puzzle:
the writing on the walls does not relate to any nonogram pattern, text is random.
looking in the editor map I replicate the patterns shown under ALLNONOGRAMS - but no response:

what pattern does the game check against? when does it check the pattern?
ie: where does 'name' come from? g_CurNonogram = ALLNONOGRAMS[name]
How is the nonogram checked? after each wand cast? as part of the reset button?
I must have missed a step. Or several. Help wanted please.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

boyflea wrote:Margonon's Room update: big spoiler, but am not just stuck but bewildered by this one.
SpoilerShow
I have beaten the warden and got the goggles
Used the goggles to nip downstairs to retrieve the blue lens,
Picked up teh purple wand form the alcove - it confirms it does nothing though works upstairs to turn squares white.
On the original floor, there is a door with a keyhole in I cannot enter
I have collected 7 diary pages, somr story, but in terms of clues ? 16-20-23-29-32-66-67?
Goggles/alcove hint allows me to leave room.
Have investigate the corridor of fireballs, but apart from locked tombs, nothing else is apparently accessible on this level.

So have been trying to take on the nonogram puzzle - blindly. Surely I've missed a very important step?

Nonogram puzzle:
the writing on the walls does not relate to any nonogram pattern, text is random.
looking in the editor map I replicate the patterns shown under ALLNONOGRAMS - but no response:

what pattern does the game check against? when does it check the pattern?
ie: where does 'name' come from? g_CurNonogram = ALLNONOGRAMS[name]
How is the nonogram checked? after each wand cast? as part of the reset button?
I must have missed a step. Or several. Help wanted please.
SpoilerShow
Combine goggles and lens and check what's different everywhere.