The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
User avatar
Dr.Disaster
Posts: 2848
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by Dr.Disaster » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:36 am

SpiderFighter wrote:It seems that some people are getting confused between the
SpoilerShow
Poignant potion in Ancylus's room and the normal ones in jKos's rooms; meaning they can't mix the rotten human flesh in with the one from Ancylus's room. This leads them to think they have the wrong solution and, quite possibly, death. ;)
I can't remember if the one in Ancylus's room has a description, but can we somehow differentiate between the two?
The confusion/problem arises only when players temper with stuff found there without thinking about it's origin.
SpoilerShow
There is no poignant potion in Ancylus room, only the Numbing Flask which actually is a cool one-time AntiDote. Once used it contains a Poignant Potion which works like a regular Poignant Potion but upon use it leaves behind the Numbing Flask and not a regular flask.
People also prolly get nuts about the Ice Lizard steak they keep from this room .. :twisted:

User avatar
Diarmuid
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:59 am
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by Diarmuid » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:53 am

Dr.Disaster wrote:The confusion/problem arises only when players temper with stuff found there without thinking about it's origin.
SpoilerShow
There is no poignant potion in Ancylus room, only the Numbing Flask which actually is a cool one-time AntiDote. Once used it contains a Poignant Potion which works like a regular Poignant Potion but upon use it leaves behind the Numbing Flask and not a regular flask.
People also prolly get nuts about the Ice Lizard steak they keep from this room .. :twisted:
SpoilerShow
Eating that steak like 10 hours later, while in the endgame, going "huh?", then understanding, was one of my best moments in that mod. That, and the time I got a wild surge french cancan right in the middle of dancing around the master warden and its pits... priceless.

User avatar
boyflea
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by boyflea » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:22 pm

For those that care - well ok me - am still reviewing all teh rooms. :) with the new patch decided to start again:

couple of points to raise:

Spiderfighter:
SpoilerShow
you can throw puzzle items out over pit at beginning, trapping party forever. perhaps some sort of gate / barrier on corridor so all thrown items fall down pit? (sev 3 bug, minor)
Aaneton:
SpoilerShow
anyone else find when they make everyone guilty, go into the secret space where the judge was standing and pull lever to open courtroom portcullis, the torch bracket disappears instead and door remains closed? Stops ability to get secret #2, ie you cannot revisit room as portcullis is permanently closed. (sev 2, non-essential, though makes a secret unobtainable)
Also:
Boyflea (I know)
SpoilerShow
I'll check on this 2nd walkthru, but in response to previous criticism, the key seems to be under the statue. Minor, but given chance simply re-orientating to 'E' on tile, rather than 'N' will resolve.(sev 3, bit frustrating - but hey, will check again on this playthru)
Let me know if it is just me, cheers :)

User avatar
JohnWordsworth
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: Devon, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by JohnWordsworth » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:35 pm

With regards to SpiderFighter's room:
SpoilerShow
There is actually a secret button in the room that will allow you to close the pit and leave prior to completing the room. That was added for just this reason!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.

User avatar
Diarmuid
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:59 am
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by Diarmuid » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:37 pm

boyflea wrote:For those that care - well ok me - am still reviewing all teh rooms. :) with the new patch decided to start again:

couple of points to raise:

Spiderfighter:
SpoilerShow
you can throw puzzle items out over pit at beginning, trapping party forever. perhaps some sort of gate / barrier on corridor so all thrown items fall down pit? (sev 3 bug, minor)


Aaneton:
SpoilerShow
anyone else find when they make everyone guilty, go into the secret space where the judge was standing and pull lever to open courtroom portcullis, the torch bracket disappears instead and door remains closed? Stops ability to get secret #2, ie you cannot revisit room as portcullis is permanently closed. (sev 2, non-essential, though makes a secret unobtainable)
Also:
Boyflea (I know)
SpoilerShow
I'll check on this 2nd walkthru, but in response to previous criticism, the key seems to be under the statue. Minor, but given chance simply re-orientating to 'E' on tile, rather than 'N' will resolve.(sev 3, bit frustrating - but hey, will check again on this playthru)
Let me know if it is just me, cheers :)
Spiderfighter:
SpoilerShow
Actually, there's a secret button right next to the pit that allows you to exit, for that specific reason. Also allows you to exit if you use the ingredients to do something else and don't have enough left for the potion of umbral absolution. As you can technically get an unlimited supply of reagents in the arena, the room will always be solvable.
EDIT: John was faster than me on that one! :)

Aaneton: I'll check, or aaneton might and suggest me some changes if necessary.

Boyflea:
SpoilerShow
Since patch 3, the key is now on the piedestal, right behind the statue's right foot.

User avatar
JKos
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by JKos » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Dr.Disaster wrote:
I can't remember if the one in Ancylus's room has a description, but can we somehow differentiate between the two?
The confusion/problem arises only when players temper with stuff found there without thinking about it's origin.
That's true, and this dungeon is still easy compared to old school adventure games, ok, maybe easy is not the right word, but let's say that it's not impossible without guides. Most games are too easy nowadays anyway, so let's just keep it in it's current state.
- LoG Framework 2http://sites.google.com/site/jkoslog2 Define hooks in runtime by entity.name or entity.id + multiple hooks support.
- cloneObject viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8450

User avatar
SpiderFighter
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by SpiderFighter » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Really minor thing I noticed playing the new patch from scratch: in the "Prison Storage (Confiscated Items)" alcove:
SpoilerShow
There are two Scrolls of Light in it.

User avatar
Eleven Warrior
Posts: 727
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:32 pm
Location: Australia

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by Eleven Warrior » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:02 am

Well errrr This is so awesome of you guys ahy :).... This project has made me feel good thxs a million.. I am sifting through the code and I have to say wow it's awesome. Well you guys came through on this project and I say (humble) very well done. I only wish the project Northern Relms was complete to.

Anyway enough, You guys are the best and I appreciate use's releasing the Code it makes life a little easier for me. The facts are are awesome :) Well done guys cant wait to see what use's can do with LOG2 ahy :)

Best Mod ever 10/10.. Well I think so anyway :)

User avatar
boyflea
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by boyflea » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Diarmuid wrote:
boyflea wrote:For those that care - well ok me - am still reviewing all teh rooms. :) with the new patch decided to start again:

couple of points to raise:

Spiderfighter:
SpoilerShow
you can throw puzzle items out over pit at beginning, trapping party forever. perhaps some sort of gate / barrier on corridor so all thrown items fall down pit? (sev 3 bug, minor)


Aaneton:
SpoilerShow
anyone else find when they make everyone guilty, go into the secret space where the judge was standing and pull lever to open courtroom portcullis, the torch bracket disappears instead and door remains closed? Stops ability to get secret #2, ie you cannot revisit room as portcullis is permanently closed. (sev 2, non-essential, though makes a secret unobtainable)
Also:
Boyflea (I know)
SpoilerShow
I'll check on this 2nd walkthru, but in response to previous criticism, the key seems to be under the statue. Minor, but given chance simply re-orientating to 'E' on tile, rather than 'N' will resolve.(sev 3, bit frustrating - but hey, will check again on this playthru)
Let me know if it is just me, cheers :)
Spiderfighter:
SpoilerShow
Actually, there's a secret button right next to the pit that allows you to exit, for that specific reason. Also allows you to exit if you use the ingredients to do something else and don't have enough left for the potion of umbral absolution. As you can technically get an unlimited supply of reagents in the arena, the room will always be solvable.
EDIT: John was faster than me on that one! :)

Aaneton: I'll check, or aaneton might and suggest me some changes if necessary.

Boyflea:
SpoilerShow
Since patch 3, the key is now on the piedestal, right behind the statue's right foot.
Thanks all! much appreciated! :)

User avatar
boyflea
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [Release] *PATCH 2*

Post by boyflea » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:19 pm

minmay wrote: ...#1. Xanathar's room,
SpoilerShow
"Margonon's Fall" (The glasses with coloured lenses, Violet, the torn diary entries, hallucinogenic mushrooms, the nonograms...)
Figuring out the first nonogram (or rather, the fact that it is a nonogram) was the hardest thing in this whole
mod for me, but at the same time it's pretty fair - in fact I guessed the correct interpretation of the numbers
after a few minutes, but made a stupid mistake implementing it (and didn't notice what I was drawing), and
promptly decided it must have been an incorrect interpretation, leading to trying a bunch of increasingly
ridiculous interpretations before finally trying the right one again. Still one of the best puzzles in my opinion.
The music puzzle is my favourite in the entire game, I particularly appreciated the
concealment of the white key. My only complaint is that you didn't use something more interesting than C major.
The story is also by far the most skillfully done in my opinion (though I would have appreciated better grammar),
and the hallucinogenic mushrooms and wild magic effects are quite amusing.
I also only realized the significance of the name after completing the mod. Twice. D'OH.
...
No idea what a
SpoilerShow
nonogram
is: please can someone explicitly mail me what I need to do here:
SpoilerShow
am currently looking at the level editor code and even have 4 patterns in LUA: how do I implement those patterns in this 9x9 room.
-

Post Reply