[MOD] "Lucretius´s Thunder" - A WH40k Fan-mod

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
maneus

Re: [MOD] "Lucretius´s Thunder" - A WH40k Fan-mod

Post by maneus »

Elkedacion has reported another crash at level 11.
This crash can be easily fixed. Please type in the console:

Code: Select all

spaceship_altar_2_1:destroy()
That´s all.
Unfortunately I placed an altar at level 12 and named them the same than an altar I spawned via script at level 11. :roll:

EDIT: This console hack is for the version "Lucretius´s Thunder_13_08_19 only. I updated the file in my first post where it is fixed.
ene

Post by ene »

Downloading version 26_08_19... Will report if I see any bug ;)

(can't wait to build portable bridges again :D )
ene

Post by ene »

Right ;)

level 6 is now much more playable, thanks for editing the spawning timer.. BUT.. having said that :D i have to say now it's a little less tense :lol: kind of a walk in the park (almost). I know it's not easy to find the right balance, though (ie regeneration is too fast/too slow). Still i much more enjoy the way it plays now.. yeah :lol:

Now, an annoying bug that crashes the game; it's about the crystals in the caverns (which make light once you put them in your hand). I wanted to drop it as the energy was empty.. then:

Code: Select all

#script_entity_566:4: attempt to index global 'fxTest2' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	#script_entity_566:4: in function <#script_entity_566:1>
	[string "ScriptEntity.lua"]: in function 'onMessageReceived'
	[string "MessageSystem.lua"]: in function 'sendMessageToEntity'
	[string "MessageSystem.lua"]: in function 'broadcastMessage'
	[string "TriggerEvents.lua"]: in function 'fire'
	[string "Timer.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Map.lua"]: in function 'updateEntities'
	[string "Dungeon.lua"]: in function 'updateLevels'
	[string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in function 'display'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk
The problem is that I have to keep it even if i have no more use for it.. for the gameplay, it's not very convenient - and i mean it. What do I do now with my useless hand ? :lol:

You should maybe put a note in the first page because after you're screwed..
maneus

Post by maneus »

I could fix that problem with the mineral light crash.
Never thought that someone would use the minerals in hands until they lose their energy.
It should take 27 hours till they have no energy left. :lol:

Thank you for the hint ene.
ene

Post by ene »

No problem ;)

Actually I completly forgot i was using a crystal :| it's because i have not much use for the thief i guess

Anyway, I could find another crystal in level 8.. by placing it straight in the hand that was having the empty crystal, it prevented the crash from occurring :) I then tried to remove the new crystal, and nothing happens.. my hand is free again :D I think it's the only item that will work (pretty logical i guess)..

Yeah.. well, no more crystal anyway :lol: (don't want that to happen again)

EDIT: out of curiosity, i've just tried to put the empty crystal again.. it makes lights again, ie energy is full ! I guess this not normal, no ? (should remain empty) ? Hence the bug perhaps ? Anyway, no crash.. as it was full again.. Maybe it's just an unsual crystal after all, who knows ? :D
ene

Post by ene »

ok.. level 12 is not what I expected :lol:

Didn't know the mod was not finished yet..

Levels 10&11 are very interesting, specially level 11. Some animations/mechanisms are very well made, almost jaw-dropping like (I know someone who would die to be able to make this kind of stuff .. hello boss, what's up ? :D :lol: ).

Nevermind.. your mod overall is pretty good, lacks some decent fights still (with the guns and all the ammos, they just end too quicky.. and a dragon shouldn't be freezable, come on !).

I guess it's mainly aimed at exploration, well no problem, BUT then, try to remove some food (quite a lot actually), dealing with rare food could be an interesting combination with this kind of mod .. would add some stress for example .. yeah, well just my opinion ( easy.. :D )

Audio is a bit poor, I say that as there new monsters/textures/items, but audio is the same old routine.. nothing new, a bit of a shame, would add to the atmosphere i think.

Definitely plenty of good/originals ideas otherwise.. few adjustments here and there would make it yet more exciting that's fore sure.

And a 'finished level 12' would too, be more exciting to play, i'm pretty sure :mrgreen: ;)
maneus

Post by maneus »

Thank you for your suggestions ene.

The problem with new audio files is, that they have a huge amount of disk space and I try to keep the size of
"Lucretius´s Thunder" to a minimum.
By the way, I created for "Lucretius´s Thunder" over 85 new audio files (the music files of old games, I implemented in the secret room reachable from the spaceship, not counted). All in one there are over 100 new audio files. :D I think that isn´t poor, or? :lol:

For the amount of food: I hated it that I was going out of food in LoG2 only because I had explored the game and was not on the straight forward path. That was a thing I wanted in my mod. Because the player should have the time he need for exploring my mod without having stress or die by getting out of food.

For making fights a bit harder I have to play and test it by myself when finished. I will take a look on it, promised.
ene

Post by ene »

hmm.. are you speaking about sfx or music ? I really didn't noticed anything new, execpt tle last levels (10&11). Perharps I'm wrong, though. I mean compared to the rest, the audio part is a bit below, in term of.. hum.. how to say ? inovation ? originality ? excitement ? .. wasn't as 'hooked' as compared to the rest, that is. I understand it takes a lot of space, though, you're not the only one facing this problem (hello again boss :lol: ).

About the food, i understand your point, but i still think there is a bit too much of it, honesltly ;) . I really need it in both last levels, 10&11, as I spent quite lot of time dealing with the puzzles (which are nice and not too difficult). It's just me who is slow.. :D The eggs/monsters combination is a nice idea, but perharps too many of them drop some food for example. And you can get pretty much food too in the levels before. But.. if you feel it's ok this way, no problem. Just trying to share my feelings as a player ;)

As for the battles, ambushes are always nice (well at least i like them), also a few battles that would require some tactic would be fun, perharps for a boss at the end of a level ? I missed a big battle, I cannot say the opposite, but then again, the rest is nice enough, cannot complain (well, justl a bit though :mrgreen: ).

Ah yeah, forgot to mention it was a bit jerky at times (don't kill the fun, though) but you mentionned it in the intro, so it was kind of expected.