LOTNR

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Eleven Warrior

LOTNR

Post by Eleven Warrior »

Well where do we start.....

A project that I personally have waited to see for over a Year now..... Errrrrr... never happened. Now after all this time they release the Assets well some of them at least.. Why declare such a ambitious project and not make true with it?? :?

LOG2 that's the answer ahy... :evil:

I for one think once LOG2 was thought about and please I don't mean this in a bad way, you guys gave up.. The assets you guys have released are awesome in every way, and I am using them.. LOTNR still should have went ahead.....Despite the knowledge of LOG2. Some of the best Modders were on the project and all has gone quite ahy........ I want to know why you would say: Hey we are doing this, when we are not....

ORRR2: how long has this been going on for 1 year or more... Well the best modders that are on this Project are the same Modders on LOTTNR... and have not released nothing except videos oh yeah errrrrrrrr... Guyys concentrate on one thing and not many things ahy..

Yes I know you want to kill me, but at least my mod when completed will be real ahy.. :D

I am sorry I don't mean to be rude, but don't do something you cant complete. That's what my dad always said to me ahy...

PS: ahhh what does it matter... I love u Guys lolo and the only real person that had the passion was Neikun
BuzzJ

Re: LOTNR

Post by BuzzJ »

Announcing LOG2 so early into the production cycle was a CRITICAL mistake that Almost Human made. They pretended as if LOG2 was immenently about to be released, with new features and fixes that made continued work on LOG1 less appealing.

Don't get me wrong, I love AH, and I love LOG. But mistakes were made.

Personally, I up and quit around LOG2 first announcement. I only came back when I got fed up with LOG2 not coming out. Even now I have absolutely zero intention of making a functional mod or assets. All I am doing is work that I am confident will be transferrable into LOG2, namely, .models, textures, maybe anims in a easily transferrable format. Nothing else is in the plans. Certainly not scripting or actual dungeons.

I suspect I am not the only one. Unfortunately the only cure to this malaise is the release of LOG2. I can't see anything else bringing back the bulk of the modding community.

I was also looking forward to LOTNR. Back in the day there was a community model request thread. Back in the day there were tons of people who wanted to design dungeons but couldn't do assets, so they were frequent on the forum and there was a lot more activity.

Now, anyone that cares, already knows how to do pretty much everything necessary for the above. And they work, quietly, slowly, on personal projects by themselves with limited group interaction. Don't get me wrong, some of those people, and I won't flatter anyone but you know who you are, are BRILLIANT content creators. But they are still 1 man operations. No cure to that really. We simply need more human being interested in developing for LOG. That means a physical human being to learn how to model, UVmap, create Texture, do animations, and script. Only by masses of human beings can even a moderately sized project be completed.

Also LOTNR is not truly dead, it will be restarted when the time is right. You need to understand that the LOTNR "assets" are the entire mod. The entire purpose was to create a "community world" simular to the One Room Round Robin but much larger in scope. To allow that to happen you needed a buttload of assets, which were made. Building the world, however, required a buttload of human beings.

There is not a buttload of human beings currently developing for LOG.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Haha, what a thread. . .Umm where to begin.

Legends of the Northern Realms is a huge project, requiring a dozen or more people ,to work on it day and night. That vision made total sense, until the timing and immense scope of the project lead the team to two realizations:

1 - It will be a very long development cycle, and likely to release either very close to, or AFTER LoG2. Which would not make much sense when the community moves to the new game.

2 - The LoG 1 engine has many technical limitations that will simply be solved with the LoG 2 engine. A project of the scope and complexity that we are discussing, becomes far more likely to be completed using the best tools. As cool as the little bit of work you have seen seems to you, it is ALL backdoors and workarounds. Many things simply cannot be done well with the LoG1 engine. It is possible that after many people worked on it for a year, it would not be the end product we envisioned, due to design concessions we would be forced to make. So to not develop a half realized project, near the time LoG2 arrives, simply became the prudent direction to follow.

"Gave up" is a strong statement if you are unaware of the full set of circumstances. We are all great friends and help each other with LoG related projects daily, even if you don't see public posts about it.

Members of the LotNR team are still quite active. Many have been working on the ORRR2, and others still have released fully realized mods in the time since. We are still in daily contact, and pretty much all of us plan on developing for LoG2. And whether that is on a grand collaboration such as LotNR (which is still tentatively planned), or individual projects, We will be helping each other and working together to bridge the gaps between scripters, modelers, and writers.

Hope this helps in understanding some of the circumstances surrounding the project. Your excitement about it understandably leads you to disappointment, but should be no reason to lash out in frustration or anger. Good things come to those who wait!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

That was a really heartwarming and inspireing post mysblade.
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

The LOTNR assets were released? Cool, must find them now ;) (please post a link, unless of course you are referring to the town assets posted a couple weeks ago). I sort of feel like I was one of those being referred to: one man team, doesn't contribute much (yet), loses direction frequently... Sorry. I am currently looking at the LoG Framework for module implementation examples, so I can do something similar with the trap detection stuff I am working on. If and when I get that straightened out, I'll post it.

By the way, they truly dedicated a lot of their own personal time to those projects, which they certainly could have been spending on other whims. I think it's incredibly impressive their work has progressed this far. Of course, if it does get finished, that will be even more impressive :).
Working on a dungeon that displays a massive collection of assets while sorting them into convenient reusable plugin format (concept from some of leki's mods). Will contribute some of my own models as well eventually and follow that with custom dungeon.
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

By the way, if more people is all that you need I'd gladly joime the team. I am generally more motivated when people are depending on me and I have specific tasks assigned. By the way, on this note you could bring more people up to speed and able to help with some short video tutorials on more advanced modding topics.
Working on a dungeon that displays a massive collection of assets while sorting them into convenient reusable plugin format (concept from some of leki's mods). Will contribute some of my own models as well eventually and follow that with custom dungeon.
Eleven Warrior

Post by Eleven Warrior »

"Gave up" is a strong statement if you are unaware of the full set of circumstances. We are all great friends and help each other with LoG related projects daily, even if you don't see public posts about it.

Yes it is Msyblade and like I sad before sorry. Even you must admit it was never going to happen. Such a big project, so much demand from all the Modders. It's ok to say we chewed more than we could bite truly ... Mysblade I would never ever doubt what you say as you have helped me so many times ahy.

The Project was massive and you guys could not complete it.. So the next best thing was give the community the Assets which in turn are being used:) This uncompleted Mod has served the community now.. Why wait so long to release the assets?? I can tell you but you already know ahy.

The best modders are the best Scripters in this world and if it was not for you guys well....... you know..... mysblade I still love that party no move hook ahy.

The reality is LOTNR was never going to happen.... Not without the rest.....

PS: chaoscommencer it's over let it go.... and Buzz your right lol'
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

I think I´ll take a nap. Please wake me up when all this is over ;)
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Completely agree with what msyblade has said. It became evident that developing LoTNR would have been 50% developing the mod and 50% developing workarounds as the LOG1 engine was really designed for a single 'top to bottom' dungeon experience. With the promise of the LOG2 engine providing a component system and a non-linear world setup, it just seemed like a good idea to put the project on hold and work on alternative things where we could make progress 90% of the time instead of only 50% of the time.

In terms of 'given up', I think that's a bit extreme. Most of us are in touch daily, talking Grimrock and gaming geekery. We've all redirected our efforts onto the ORRR2 and our own little projects - all things that will allow us to jump into LoG2 editing as soon as it's released. Whether we work on LoTNR when LoG2 comes out or another project (or many projects between us) I don't think it really matters. The fact is, the idea of LoTNR made us forge a great and enthusiastic team of modders who are eager to produce mod(s) for LoG2. If we do work on LoTNR after the release of LoG2 - you can rest assured that the we will try to develop things along the way that will be benefit whole modding community too.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Msyblade and John or spot on.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.