[Models] Sci-fi Scenery

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
bongobeat

Re: [Models] Sci-fi Scenery

Post by bongobeat »

signs
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
or
well known cpu observer
SpoilerShow
or cpu model
http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/computer-laptop-39232.html
SpoilerShow
monitor
http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/combine-monitors-21783.html
SpoilerShow
or why not some kind of alcove where you can drop items? like the one you did in your captive/butre wallset

or you can make the same props with different signs/other things
My asset pack: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9320

Log1 mod : Toorum Manor: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5505
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Okay, well The Engine Nacelle Walls are good and implemented. The first is a no texture render concept in case the temple_wall texture in any of the screenshots makes some details hard to see. With that, phase 1 of this project (3x3 scifi space shuttle interior) is 24.7% complete. Now to do a ceiling, and thats 1x1 square done. Oh yeah, also a column/pillar.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I'm not sure if Phase 2 will consist of UVmapping and texturing, or scripting lights/alcoves, or adding additional details to the meshes (interior compartments), or animations. So much goes into complicated stuff. But Phase 1 is Phase 1.
germanny

Post by germanny »

Looks quite cool!
You model with wings3D, right? Did that too, three years ago. Then i come to some limits that wings has.
As i learned blender (the first time is really the hardest, bcause of the different interface) i used wings beside for modeling.
There are functions that blender didn´t offer stable at that time (example: select vertices, bevel and extrude them, inset..).
Now blender has all the benefits of wings and a whoole bunch more.
So with time i was forced more and more to blender^^

For me it was the best to learn basic key-combinations at first. With that, scale, rotate, translate i do mostly only with keyboard.
This is soo fast^^
A little example - scaling a cylinder only on x and y axis to factor 150%:
Type s (scale), then shift+ z (exclude z-axis from scaling) plus 1.5
You can use backspace to change the value while the operation is active, and right click or esc cancels the operation.
This way most of the operations do in Blender.

OK, you sense it.. i love Blender xD
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

I agree, blender is far superior in terms of features to wings3d. However I feel that for mesh making, and UVmapping FOR ONLY THE MOST SIMPLE OF OBJECTS wings3d is superior if only for its inuitive controls and ease of use. Blender's transform functions are better for a lot of things, and anything requiring mathematical precision, it goes to blender. Also animations, complex UVmapping, and a BUNCH of other high end features pretty much only blender can do. Downside to blender is a billion hidden menues and learning curve.

I'm learning blender but I still like to use Wings3d for mesh creation because I can walk away from my computer and think about how to make an object step by step in my mind and then go and do exactly that with no fuss. Wake up, make mesh, eat breakfast, think, add stuff.

Also 2 ceiling tiles and 1 floor tile done, no pics just take my work on it. It works, but nothing that exciting geometry speaking. Learning how to structure my models for later door implementation.
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

UPDATE: Warning Long Post

Sorry for no update in a while, but I was busy cooking things up and wanted to group stuff together before posting.

Phase 1 of the project is nearing completion. All interior geometry has been done, and now needs shading, smoothing, UVmapping, rigging/animations, and scripting work done to get to usable release.

below are images of new stuff since then
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Additionally, I'm releasing a preview .dat file so you can take a look. it is here.
Below is sort of an explanation os what I am trying to achieve.

PROJECT OVERVIEW

The purpose of the current project is to build a starting point upon which future improvements can be made. The essence of Sci-Fi dungeon crawlers that makes them different from fantasy is that they take place in space, on planets, etc.; that is to say they have the element of mobility. This project aims to build a small shuttle craft that can serve as a starting point, and a persistent "home base" for the player, as well as allowing the player to plausibly shift to any number of sceneries within the same mod. This is perfectly achievable in LOG1 engine, and the features of LOG2 will just make that easier and less hackish. As it stand, the shuttle is 1x3 with a door and door corridor for exiting. You should be able to disembark either on the same level, such as through an ubilical (think the way you board airplanes), or by means of a ladder when landed in rougher locations. The ladder will be achieved in LOG1 via clever trickery(basically a staircase with clever modeling), in LOG2 AH has confirmed a easier means to do this. In either case, when exiting by umbilical there will be a sort of exterior visible through a window if you wish, but optional. When disembarking by ladder, however, you will be abble to walk around the ship's exterior.

PHASE 1

Do all mesh geometry with everything else placeholder

Progress:
Interior finished, exterior and ancilliary things in progress

PHASE 2

uvmap and texture, even if shitty texture all meshes

Progress:
none yet until phase 1 complete to my satisfaction

PHASE 3

animation rigging, animations, and scripting

Progress:
none yet until phase 1 complete to my satisfaction

Phase 4

enlist help of the community to help me do the things I don't do very well or am too stupid to learn how to do

Progress:
Ongoing

And thats it, thanks for reading and taking a look. I'm fairly active so post anything you want I'll probably reply pretty fast.
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Addendum: Concerning the planned functions of the ship

The ship is jam packed full of features that need scripting. When making the models I thought far ahead.

Energy Furnace: Has a door/hatch that opens into an interior compartment(alcove). The alcove accepts a "furnace(energy) core" only.

Before the core can be placed in the alcove, the door must be opened. when the door is closed the core cannot be removed (ie: it is frozen in place, possibly due to ceasing[deleted] to be an item and then replaced with a decoration[delete then create]) until the door is opened in which case it can be again removed.[presumably delete and replace again, but in reverse]

additionally the furnace has a screen/monitor attached. The default screen is an error message which informs you that by existing, something is wrong with the script, this is for troubleshooting the relatively complicated scripts that are involved. This applies to all the monitors on the ship hereinafter described.

When functioning This screen informs you that there is no core, or if a core has been placed and the door closed that the ship has power.

When there is no power a red emergency light is on to illuminate this section. It turns off when there is power and the main lights turn on.

Engine Nacelles 1 and 2: Are identical. Consists of a door and alcove that functions the same way as the furnace. accepts engine part. Havn't decided WHAT kind of part it is exactly, but it is required for the engines to function.

When both engines function the ship can "Go" somewhere else by using the Bridge Console, but only if a location has also been entered in the Navigation Computer.

Chairs along the wall: There are 3 of them. Not 4 because obviously at least 1 hero must be alive and in the party for the game to function. Are basically 3 alcoves that only accept items of the "dead/unconscious body" type. Just for transporting corpses. In theory all humans leave corpse items on death.

Navigation Computer: has 2 slots and a screen.

The slots are alcoves that accept the "data card" item type. Functions only when there is power from the furnace.

One accepts a "star map" and either that alone activates the ability to "Go", or else a second card "landing authorization codes" must also be placed into the second slot. Or something similar.

Computer also has a secondary function of manipulating 2 data cards somehow for puzzle purposes, like decryption or something. Not well developed as an idea, but since you have alcoves you might as well use them for puzzles.

Communications/Research Computer and Safe:

Communications computer consists of 2 alcoves and a screen. Functions only when there is power from the furnace.

One alcove is a card reader type as discussed above, the other accepts items of the "crystal" type.

The idea is that to play a mission briefing or communication, a "telecommunication crystal" must be placed in one alcove, and a "decryption codes card" in the other card slot.

additionally on this wall is a "safe" which has a door that functions like the furnace and nacelle doors. Inside of it are 3 alcoves for general items ("small" item types), and 2 or more alcoves for "long" item types. Long items are basically space rifles and/or space suits/armors/uniforms.

Bridge Console: consists of a screen and three buttons. Functions only when there is power from the furnace.

button 1 allows you to (activates) "Go" somewhere if all conditions mentioned above (furnace, engines, navigation) are met.

button 2 turns off the lights, or cycles lighting options, possibly plays music as one of these lighting options

button 3 general diagnostic that shows a screen of what steps have not been performed before you can "Go"

"Go" and moving from place to place:

This is basically accomplished by teleporting the party and all items in all alcoves into an identical ship on a different level or location. This simulates space travel. Can be delayed travel rather than instantaneous for dramatic purposes or other reasons. When in transit the "airlock door" cannot be opened.

Airlock Door: is a door. opens from either side by means of a button on either side, will not open when in the process of "Go"ing described above.

and yeah thats it. Thats basically my end-goal. I think the utility and desirability of this project for the community speaks for itself.
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

did a bit on the outside of the ship. added some exterior paneling to the side, now within 3x3 grid specs, added these cool turbines to the front exterior (the exterior doesn't interfere with the interior and you can freely go back and forth as you please on the same level)
SpoilerShow
Now I just need to do exterior: right/left engines, cockpit cover, furnace cover, ceiling hull, bottom hull

then optimize some interior meshes by removing some faces that I realized are impossible to see.

Then I need to do ladders, ubilicals, catwalks.

Then on to phase 2 maybe unless some new problems arise causing me to make more meshes. If only all of modding was just making meshes work I would be set and doing this all day until I had literally thousands of models.

TIME TO SLEEP
odinsballs

Post by odinsballs »

that's some rather nice geometry on those models, nice work, as for uv/wrapping and later editing of textures, ever considered nifftools?, it has some nice texture and mesh editing functions, wich i as amateur moddeler found verry helpfull for most models.
and the uv map edit functions are nice and simple and realy lets you optimize your texture look. also its freeware, so thats Always good ;)

as for your interest in steamhulk project participation, pm me about this so we can discuss and get you set up (without cluttering up your thread with off_topic stuff of other projects), your work and concept look pretty solid so far 8-)

p.s. for exteriors you might want to consider the skysytem by diarmuid, it has far superior performance then Original log lightening,
wich tends to kill framerate when met with heavier (more complex/detailed) level builds
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Finished off the front of the ship. Now I have to do the back. Sides are done and have been for a while. Hard to believe that in just 2 weeks or so since project announcement Ive managed to do so much. [edit: and yet so little]
SpoilerShow
germanny

Post by germanny »

Really great, buzzj!
May i ask you to attach a single color image to the uv instead the on you use?
Think it would give a better view for a WIP.
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker