[MOD] Room Escape

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
SeyProdumen

Re: [MOD] Room Escape

Post by SeyProdumen »

I'm terribly stuck at the bit with the dragons burning my butt off. My first thought was "trading" the scroll for a torch, then I burned all of the dragons with the magic wand to show my love :geek:, but alas. I'll figure it out eventually, haha! I love it so far, too.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

I haven't played this yet, but from the comments and tips, it sounds like you are just fine at making creative puzzles and stories! I would like to see you create an entire large dungeon, with the confidence that people will enjoy it. I understand feeling new and out of place before your efforts are acknowledged as worthy, So I am leaving you this to really let you know that we all truly support you and all of your work at learning (and succeeding!) how to create for this community. "Don't let em see you sweat" is an oft used term (here in the states) because if you express that you may not have done well, people may have a negative approach before beginning, where as a muted "Here it is, hope you like it!" approach will keep people on an even mindset going in. Anyway, Please keep up the good work, and I hope you feel encouraged by how this all turned out. (I promise I will find time to give it a spin soon also!) Kudos!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Great little mod, Glew! Thanks for making it.

Hmm, blueberry pie! :) No idea whether I found all things, at least I escaped and got my pie. :) Took me 1:48 hours gametime - and prolly double that due to backtracking. Didn't find any bug or strange feature, good job, Glew!
SpoilerShow
Even that scroll that I thought was a weird thing at the time I found it was not so weird after all - cryptic but useable. Thanks again.
Glew

Post by Glew »

Aw yay :mrgreen:
Thank you guys! I could go into an awkward rumble about how great it is to receive your feedback, but I'll save us the embarrassment :oops: .
It really is every kind of weird to see my little mod suddenly gain the interest it had (180+ unique downloads on Steam - compared to the 19 it just have been a little while ago :o ) So thank you again, for playing and for the feedback. I was actually entertaining the idea of an other Dungeon and now that you have done your part on being encouraging, I will try to do my part on making it happen. No promises yet though as I just got a job.
SeyProdumen wrote:I'm terribly stuck at the bit with the dragons burning my butt off. My first thought was "trading" the scroll for a torch, then I burned all of the dragons with the magic wand to show my love :geek:, but alas. I'll figure it out eventually, haha! I love it so far, too.
That is I think the most complex part of the dungeon. General tips: if you can't seem to solve something right away, return to it later. Also, read and consider everything. You may or may not have to use all objects. If you are still stuck:
SpoilerShow
Explore the corridor, there are 3 rooms. Initially you can't enter 2 of them. There are inscriptions next to each door. Note them well. Return to the room with the altar.
If still stuck:
SpoilerShow
You need to find a fireshield scroll and place it on the altar to cast it. Then you can survive the fire long enough to take the scroll and run - with the default party. If you custom made some low health chars you might still die.
And here is some behind-the-scenes info for those who are interested or wonder if they have found everything. No peeking if you haven't played yet! A little spoiler can spoil all the fun in this mod!
SpoilerShow
As for secrets, there really isn't too much to find. There are two marked secrets and one (the solution of the torch puzzle) is only marked as secret because I wanted to give feedback for the party if they put the last torch in place far away from the door to notice that something happened.
The other secret is in the north corridor in the apparently empty room. You have to be persistent enough to find 2 secret buttons despite the discouraging messages. The reward is a hint on how to escape, but it only makes sense later, when you find the altar. It also implies that the player shouldn't try to cross the portcullis.
There are also several items that you really don't need to use and are only there for distraction/decor. The treasure in the "Liar of Many Thieves" or the Whitewood staff for example. The keys are also mostly useless, but you need one for the final puzzle. The poison and shock scrolls are there to give curious players some nasty surprise and to demonstrate the altar's function. I am the "what happens if" type of player who jumps into lava just to see if the character would die - and feel accomplished if he does so. These scrolls are there for this type of players. The food is there in case you need a lot of time solving the puzzles. Since you can get hurt you may need to rest. And of course there are some references to Portal and Ali Baba and a quote from a cheesy pop-song that fitted too well for my purposes to miss.

On the narration:
My intended theme for the game was, that there are two 'voices' along the way. One is misleading the other helpful. One is represented by the Notes and some of the inscriptions. He is the dungeon-maker (me) who is trying to confuse and discourage the player with ambiguous and nasty comments. This is inspired by GLADOS from Portal1&2. They usually give a little bit of hint for what is going on though. The other 'voice' is the mysterious writer(s) of the scrolls who presumably was/were previous prisoners of the Room. The scrolls are always helpful, though cryptic - unlike the Notes that are often just taunting or outright misleading.
Glew

Post by Glew »

Okay, so I replayed the Mod for nostalgia and found something weird: the green gem appears white and doesn't glow in the dark. Any idea what can cause this? Have any of you experienced this? This happens both in the editor and in the game.
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Glew wrote:Okay, so I replayed the Mod for nostalgia and found something weird: the green gem appears white and doesn't glow in the dark. Any idea what can cause this? Have any of you experienced this? This happens both in the editor and in the game.
Gem was glowing green for me just fine.
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

Sounds like the texture got deleted/renamed/moved or you bound the model to another material that isn't defined. Have you been playing with the source files at all?
Working on a dungeon that displays a massive collection of assets while sorting them into convenient reusable plugin format (concept from some of leki's mods). Will contribute some of my own models as well eventually and follow that with custom dungeon.
SeyProdumen

Post by SeyProdumen »

Glew wrote:That is I think the most complex part of the dungeon. General tips: if you can't seem to solve something right away, return to it later. Also, read and consider everything. You may or may not have to use all objects. If you are still stuck:
SpoilerShow
Explore the corridor, there are 3 rooms. Initially you can't enter 2 of them. There are inscriptions next to each door. Note them well. Return to the room with the altar.
If still stuck:
SpoilerShow
You need to find a fireshield scroll and place it on the altar to cast it. Then you can survive the fire long enough to take the scroll and run - with the default party. If you custom made some low health chars you might still die.
I finally made it. :mrgreen: Apparently I was just blind as hell:
SpoilerShow
Looking through all the scrolls again I noticed the "Open sesame!" one, which I had for some reason never seen before.
I enjoyed it a lot and I'm looking forward to your next map!
Glew

Post by Glew »

chaoscommencer wrote:Sounds like the texture got deleted/renamed/moved or you bound the model to another material that isn't defined. Have you been playing with the source files at all?
I'm not sure... I might have downloaded some texture mods, but I honestly don't remember. Where should I look for the trouble? Or maybe if I re-install the game that should solve it, right?
edit:
:lol: It looks like it is a feature and not a bug. I previously have turned the graphics quality down and forgot it. When I turned it up the glow effect was back. ^^"
SeyProdumen wrote: I finally made it. :mrgreen:
I enjoyed it a lot and I'm looking forward to your next map!
Glad to hear that :)
Allanius2

Post by Allanius2 »

Hi. Maybe I'm blind but I must be missing something. I got up to the "thousands of spoons when all I need is a knife" area and can't progress. Found the note with the map(?) directions. Can't figure that out. A little shove in the right direction might get me back on track. Thanks.