First time modder - need some help!

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
piinyouri

First time modder - need some help!

Post by piinyouri »

Greetings fine folks!

I'm currently in the throes of trying my hand at my first dungeon. A remake of the 'old as dirt' board game Hero Quest.

But I've run into a problem fairly early on. The size of the map becomes too big since I have no way to block off sections, since HQ's board is all squished together with almost no "space", so to speak.

Example.

First I attempted to put a dead space buffer between the rooms, but this quickly over inflates the size and throws everything off.

I do know there are a few placeables you can put on the lines of the grid, but none of them really look like walls to me.

I've perused the modding asset/help thread but can't seem to find anything that could help.

I'm not able to script, but I do know how to import custom assets, if someone happened to be able to point me in the direction of one that was appropriate.

If you are unsure as to what I mean here, please ask me to clarify and I will do my best. (I'm not the greatest at communicating my ideas)
Thanks!
Dr.Disaster

Re: First time modder - need some help!

Post by Dr.Disaster »

The HeroQuest board features a 26x19 grid. With LoG using a 32x32 grid you are able to fit any HQ map into the editor.

What you are looking for are the secret doors (each tileset has one) to draw the HQ board grid.
When done with the "walls" add pillars at the joining corners and you won't see the difference to a regular solid wall.

Took me just a few minutes to draw this with the editor:
piinyouri

Post by piinyouri »

Gah, my mistake. I had thought I'd already tried the secret walls. They're exactly what I'm after
Thank you very much!
odinsballs

Post by odinsballs »

hi, since your planning a hero quest remake, i wager youll need some fitting monsters, like mummy and ghoul, and since these are no longer available for download, i'd say if you need these gimme a holler and i'll set you up with a download link for these nice custom critters whome were made by leki, i still have his whole collection on my hd ;)
piinyouri

Post by piinyouri »

That would be most fortuitous indeed!
I've noticed I'd have to use a lot of monsters as place holders and even then wouldn't have enough.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

It is worth noting that, when using secret door/pillar combos as walls, you must be very careful with decorations placed on those, as some have a tendency to protrude through the backside of the wall. (Demon heads, Levers, etc . . .) Hope this helps!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Eleven Warrior

Post by Eleven Warrior »

Hi odinsballs

I would love to get those 2 Monsters, I have been trying to find them for ages...Thxs imam glad someone still has them..
piinyouri

Post by piinyouri »

msyblade wrote:It is worth noting that, when using secret door/pillar combos as walls, you must be very careful with decorations placed on those, as some have a tendency to protrude through the backside of the wall. (Demon heads, Levers, etc . . .) Hope this helps!
I couldn't get any wall decorations to stick to the secret walls anyway. Is there a way to?
I need a bookcase for this mod and while I found one, it's an alcove decoration, and thus I thought I wouldn't be able to use it.
odinsballs

Post by odinsballs »

hi there, here is a dropbox download link for the accumulated works of leki and wallasaurus, these are all physical custom made monsters and thus not simple retextures. these will help out with your project i'm sure, so follow the link and you can aquire the beasties

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wod6dkolguhti ... ection.rar

enjoy :)
piinyouri

Post by piinyouri »

What is the installation path/directions for the Slug monster? (Not the slugmorog)
I got that all the others go in the pluggins folder, but the slug doesn't have the same directory setup. Do I need to make it myself and put it in pluggins or do the appropriate files just go into the mod_assets/textures & models folders?

Edit: Seems the mummy and leeches are the same way.