[WIP] Grimrock NoteBook Container

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
JohnWordsworth

Re: [WIP] Grimrock NoteBook Container

Post by JohnWordsworth »

That's a nice idea - I like the idea of having a D&D-esque spell-book into which you must scribe your spells before you can cast them during the game. I don't know if I would like to see it in all mods, but it's the sort of thing that would make a mod or two stand out, especially if they have a focus on adding a bunch of new spells to the game as memorizing even more spells and restricting access to super powerful spells until the end-game would be important in a mod like that.

At the moment however, I'm just working on a generic journal into which you can stuff all notes / scrolls / spell scrolls. While it's a good idea, I will hold off on adding a more advanced spellbook system to the mod until someone speaks up to say that they would like to use this mechanic in their mod. I don't want to put the time in if it's never going to see the light of day, but I know that there are a couple of people interested in the NoteBook mod, so am keen to get that out and available ASAP.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Mysterious

Post by Mysterious »

Hi John :)

I know I am new here and should not ask for to much.

I checked out your book idea and it is a very good piece of work well done. As for the Spell Book idea, if it does happen you can count me in for both Books, I will put both of them in my Module, why not. :)

I am still truing to learn how to navigate this site and all of the scripting etc... There are so many good Mods here as well, my friend was right this is the place to be. There are things on this site I no see before anywhere else.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

First 'beta' version of the mod is now available for download on the Grimrock Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/355/

Please send me any feedback and let me know how you get on!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
uggardian

Post by uggardian »

Haven't tested yet, but.. are the page changing keys rebindable to something else than left and right arrows? Because I move and turn with my arrow keys (and turn around with right ctrl and numpad 0 :roll: ).
Not a big deal, I was planning to change the movement controls to numpad anyway :)
maneus

Post by maneus »

Thank you very much, John.
This notebook is a dream for all adventurers and magicians.

I´ve put it in my mod and it works very well. Have changed the skin, have added some sounds (similiar to the "Map Book" and sound "wall_tapestry_tear" for page tear out)
and a few little things (place of the close button for example).

Here is a screen of it:
SpoilerShow
I´ve changed the icons for adding a new page, delete it and for tear it out because they were no Warhammer like. :mrgreen:

A little thing for correcting I´ve found:

When adding a Spell Scroll into it, the left two lines with the magic signs ("A,B,D,E,G,H") are together but the right line ("C,F,I") isn´t directly beside the both lines left. There is a small space between them.
Is it fixable by changing something in the script in the editor?

Another matter I have is:

Is the "Intro Page Text" editable? If yes, where?
Because the little words "(Intro Page)" on the right bottom edge is over my bookmarker. See picture below.
SpoilerShow
A last little thing I have. I´ve made a note with an image like the "slime map note" from the original LoG. But when I´ll add it to the book, it won´t work.
I thought that all notes with an image can be added to the book? Have you any idea, John?

So, that´s all for today. :D

Thank you for the nice words in the "README" File, John. And especially for this very cool masterpiece.

EDIT: Have found the lines in the script to delete the "(Intro Page)" words.
Eleven Warrior

Post by Eleven Warrior »

Hi John :)

I was wondering about the file named (.DS_store). I have this file already in my Mod and it's from the Shop Framework by Alios wrote. Will this file effect the (.DS_store) file from Alois? His file is 6k big and yours is 12k. So I don't know if something will go wrong..

Thxs for your time.. :)

maneus That's awesome what you did to the book. LOVE IT.. :)
alois

Post by alois »

Eleven Warrior wrote:Hi John :)

I was wondering about the file named (.DS_store). I have this file already in my Mod and it's from the Shop Framework by Alios wrote. Will this file effect the (.DS_store) file from Alois? His file is 6k big and yours is 12k. So I don't know if something will go wrong..

Thxs for your time.. :)

maneus That's awesome what you did to the book. LOVE IT.. :)
Don't worry, is a file which OSX (the Apple operative system) creates (and hides); you can overwrite it!

Alois :)
Eleven Warrior

Post by Eleven Warrior »

Hi alois

Thank you for that information, I just had to be sure about the file.
maneus

Post by maneus »

Eleven Warrior wrote: maneus That's awesome what you did to the book. LOVE IT.. :)
Thank you Eleven Warrior.

I have slightly modified the skin of my notebook.
SpoilerShow
Eleven Warrior

Post by Eleven Warrior »

Hi maneus :)

Man that is awesome.. Will you be releasing your version? If not how did you change the Book your way.. Man I have to learn how you did that..

Awesome work though. :)

I was also wondering how do you put screen shots on this Site, I want to show people pictures of my Mod. I see a icon called Img, but not sure how it works.. Thxs for any help :)