Please assist me in getting the console to work :)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Dr.Disaster

Re: Please assist me in getting the console to work :)

Post by Dr.Disaster »

The file "grimrock.cfg" is plain text.

Now .. if you have
a) v1.3.7 for Mac
b) set the key value to 119
and the console does not open for you after pressing F8 inside the game (works perfect on my MacPro running Sierra) i don't know what's wrong.

EDIT: found the error. You defined F8 twice: for Console and QuickLoad. Change that and it should work.
GrimrockFan

Post by GrimrockFan »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:
GrimrockFan wrote:Hi Dr. -I tried 119 and nothing. It just occurred to me. Could this be an encoding issue? Should this file be saved as straight text, or something else?
Here's an idea:
1) In the Grimrock Options menu, set the "Map" key to whatever key you want to use for the console
Then close Grimrock
2) Open grimrock.cfg and copy the number from
map = ???
to
consoleKey = ???
3) In the Grimrock Options menu, set the "Map" key back to what it was before step 1
Zo Kath nailed it! This finally works for me! I have no clue what the issue was, but this technique worked! Thanks Zo, and thanks to the Dr. and everyone else who tried to help! Thanks guys!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

What was the key value?
Can-ned Food

Post by Can-ned Food »

As a new user of the console, you should also be aware that — at least on my Linux version — it does not trap keypresses from reaching other layers of the interface. Pause your game when the console is deployed, else you will also be submitting input to the main controls: moving, calling Champion inventories, et al.