[MOD] - The Sunset Gate - RELEASED

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
joramsey

Re: [MOD] - The Sunset Gate - RELEASED

Post by joramsey »

Thanks! I completely forgot about that section of the map, though I accessed the goggles through the physicality stone.

Just finished a few minutes ago—I enjoyed sniping the invisible skeletons in the dreamland levels. The end fight could be a little harder...none of the spawning monsters had time to attack me before I pummeled the baddie.

Overall, I really liked this and enjoyed the story/nonlinear style of play. Too bad there wasn't much dialogue after I opened the gate.
gentilkurgan

Post by gentilkurgan »

Hi Xanathar,

Your mod gave me a reason to reinstall Grimrock (wonderful work so far).

I dont like to ask for help... but i think i'm stuck.

I found the googles in level 4
I found the 3 keys in level 5

There are 2 places in those levels i cant reach.
In level 4 (corner north-east) : i can't go througt the little "cairn with lava?"
In level 5 (south-east section of the map) : the plate who disable the teleport, i dont know what to do there.

My quest items are:
2 skulls (konrad, julius), stone of life and balance, goggles and 2 relics.

I tried the hint, it says "i should use a little shrine-travel...."

Thx and sry for my english.
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

To go on with the main plot:
SpoilerShow
You need 2 more skulls - have you solved the crypt part of level 3 ? If you need to know how, just ask me again (I'm trying not to spoil it completely to you :) ). If you have, maybe there's some area unexplored starting from there.

To enter level 6, you need a key - as the hint said you just need to do some shrine travel to find it: if you use a tablet on a shrine you get teleported to the shrine of that tablet.
In level 4 (corner north-east) : i can't go througt the little "cairn with lava?"
SpoilerShow
It's a secret - from the area of the earth shrine, check all the walls of what is the entrance to the level below.
In level 5 (south-east section of the map) : the plate who disable the teleport, i dont know what to do there.
SpoilerShow
Again a secret.. throw something while stepping back (it's a timing thing, might need more tries).

And your english is really good (I'm not english either) :)
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
gentilkurgan

Post by gentilkurgan »

Thank you, I'm ready for lvl 6.
SpoilerShow
I used the tablet on the shrine and found the key.
Komag

Post by Komag »

I'm near the end (I think) but am stuck trying to operate the gate and enrich ore:
SpoilerShow
- (after helpful hint given) Wow, that was a hard to find secret button on NE level 5!
- got that skull, got other goodies, found secret to stairs, got spirit mirror pendant
- but still no way to reach end of hall beyond plate with what looks like three teleporters after it (in spider area, SE)
- found secret in "invisible truth" room, chitin mask
- got stone spear, jumped down, fought through HUGE slime maze! notice I must jump for pitfighter gloves
- fought warden in tight quarters! nice chitin mail
- BUG - flickering pillar next to chitin mail (between two wall/doors
- found switch to turn off ice and fire daemons in hall with stone of physicality
- managed to finish "planned sacrifice" but not sure how exactly - tried stepping back just as I pressed button after trap doors
- placed stone weapons on altars by statues, nothing happened
- Talking Jill "why has Bron killed you" should be "why did Bron kill you?"
- Talking Sylina "So, I totally plan to escape this jail and pretend I'm dead. And resurrect somewhere else, one day, with a different name." should be "So, I totally plan to pretend I'm dead and escape this jail,

then resurrect somewhere else, one day, with a different name."
- wait a minute, I guess placing those stone weapons DID work! maybe should have some sound or light or something
- non-functioning gate sounds cool
- small BUG - when I click somewhere below the control GUI, the whole button is visible up high and it clicks in and out, awkward (then it stays way up high)
- automap is very buggy in machine area (in hall near control room, maintenance room, orichalcum cell
- machine not enriching the orichalcum! I put one in, turned on fire plane, turned off, went back, still raw. Tried with 6 of them, tried every plane, different lights, but always still raw
- flux meter seems to indicate how many nuggets I put in alcove
- woohoo, got the icefall armor set!
- So, I did water plane (ice world).
- RED "LINK" by: Life, Balance, Physicality, Earth, Death
- RED "LINK" and BLINKING "FUEL" by: Fire, Air, Spirituality
- tried putting in just one nugget, all same results
- tried putting in all 13 nuggets (Flux says 10 max apparently)
- all RED "LINK" planes still the same
- Fire - seems connected, will check upstairs...Wow, super kill plane!
- Air - connected, same as fire, kill plane
- Spirituality - blinking fuel. why? tried with 5, same result. tried with 9, same result. 2, same. 3, same.
- So Spirituality blinking fuel with 0,1,2,3,4,5,9,13 nuggets of raw orichalcum.
- can't enrich orichalcum, doesn't work like book says, machine never stops, ore always still says "raw"
EDIT - after reading your hint above I got the secret in SE of 5 maze - crazy puzzle, to
SpoilerShow
throw an item into the second teleporter beyond the player but not the third, I would have never figured that one! Ingenious! It works easiest with a heavy item that lands in that square, then just step off plate and it goes to secret room, no need for toss-timing. I got the nice rewards :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

SpoilerShow
it takes time.. leave the machine running..

Komag

Post by Komag »

okay, thanks. Maybe time should be reduced a little?
Komag

Post by Komag »

FINISHED! Wow, amazing mod beginning to end, extremely impressive and high quality. My last notes:
SpoilerShow
(after hint) tossed item into second square beyond plate in spider SE area on lv 5, then stepped off plate, item went to secret room, opened door, nice rewards, plus death stone
- ha ha, death stone does poison and disease!
- for all the runes, I never found anything else affected other than water, dead bones (life rune resurrection), and the stones themselves. Anything else? I tried most everything
(after hint) left ore running on fire plane for 2:50 and FINALLY it was all enriched, that's FOREVER! Should be more like 1 minute max, 30 seconds better. Or if it's a long time, a progress indicator of some kind
- tried inversion on all planes, mostly no effect, but ice opens link with no inversion, and finally Spirituality opens link with inversion.
- What a horrible place!!! Wow, this is a hell hole awful plane, very scary and freaky, well done.
- got one green gem (from SW room)
- NE tele maze, yuck. mapped out tele destinations, tar bead appears impossible to get
- ice bolts shoot from nothing - I think daemon heads should be there
- this place is dark and creepy.
- found plate boots, nice
- lots of tricky spinner traps in these halls
- got all three gems, opens stairs
- noticed pit didn't line up - jumped, got secret! skull
- my "found skulls" stat is one higher than the skulls I have, yet a full console dungeon search doesn't list any more (on floor or in alcoves/altars) - did one come in a dream, then taken away?
- instantly fell in love with "close behind", well done, but crap that battle is tough!
- BUG - making it across pits closes them all, fine, but then stepping on that square plays "close" sound over and over
- bug - close around pits always make "close" sound even if no pit closed that time (such as on corners)
- jumped down, used goggles, cleared out all tough skeles, searched all wall for secrets, none
- I think "close around" and "open behind" should both make it all good after making it across (close all pits, or all pits in path), like close behind did
- "open behind" looks like it's not possible without falling down at least once, dunno if that's fair enough, but maybe
- looks like a spot on map has a secret, but how to get there? can't reach from "close around" path, found a secret hall in "close behind" area that leads right next to it, wall opened now! Nex sword!
- cleared out freaky walkers
- found secret - crookhorn bow
- got last key, opened room with chest, got last secret 34/34
- Talking Obscure "Did you ever any helpful dream before ?" should be "Did you ever have any helpful dreams before?"
- Talking Obscure "I mean, not the occasional..." should be "I don't mean the occasional..."
- Talking Obscure "...something he should have realized..." should be "...something it should have realized..."
- Talking Obscure "without hints whatsoever" should be "without any hints whatsoever"
- Talking Obscure "What dreams, what are you.." should be "What dreams? What are you...?"
- Talking Obscure "Ahahaha i even wrote it into a note..." should be "Ahahaha... I even wrote it in a note..." or "on a note..."
- Talking Obscure "bent at your will. Oh this might..." should be "bend to your will. Oh, this might..."
- Talking Obscure "Ahahah how childish!" should be "Ahahaha," or "Ahaha," to match the first instance a few lines up. Or have all versions end in the h
- Talking Obscure "women and .. did I say" should be "women, and... did I say"
- Talking Obscure "Ahah forget this heroes" should be "Ahaha, forget this heroes" or Aha or make them all end in h
- Talking Obscure "telling them everytime." should be "telling them all the time."
- Talking Obscure "AH! don't you understand ?" should be "AH! Don't you understand?"
- Talking Obscure "tricking your now companions in doing" should be "tricking your current companions into doing"
- Talking Obscure "Nyrnox experiments are just" should be "Nyrnox's experiments were just"
- Talking Obscure "shrines for us, good job...way." should be "shrines for us (good job...way)."
- Talking Obscure "idea, it's all their plan." should be "idea, it was all their own plan."
- Talking Obscure "Barikule the big man" should be "Barikule, the big man", and "Boris Surgeoff who bridges" should be "Boris Surgeoff, who bridges"
- Talking Obscure "magic and artificery." should probably be "magic and artificery?" to match Boris' sentence.
- Talking Obscure "the way great man go." should be "the way great men go."
- Talking obscure "kill myself" should probably have a .
- killed self, killed bad guy
- (never found chitin boots it seems)
- (why is there an in-the-wall red light near the "The Machine" sign?)
- (never found a way to help that one guy talk again)
- Talking Myself "Deal done." should be "Done deal."
My Stats:
Play Time: 20:40:55
Monsters Killed: 362
Items Found: 749
Secrets Found: 34/34
Treasures Found: 0/1 ???
Skulls Found: 7 (but I only had 6 on me, dunno what happened)
Tiles Moved: 22814
Times Fallen: 18
Melee Attacks: 1652
Ranged Attacks: 696
Unarmed Attacks: 39
Spells Cast: 537
Potions Mixed: 2
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

SpoilerShow
for all the runes, I never found anything else affected other than water, dead bones (life rune resurrection), and the stones themselves. Anything else? I tried most everything
Earth and Ice also enchanted arrows and quarrels appropriately. No others.
my "found skulls" stat is one higher than the skulls I have, yet a full console dungeon search doesn't list any more (on floor or in alcoves/altars) - did one come in a dream, then taken away?
Interesting!
"open behind" looks like it's not possible without falling down at least once, dunno if that's fair enough, but maybe
It is :) But it's a very hard path to study. I'm sure as this was a feedback from Diarmuid and I changed the puzzle so that a one shot solution existed.. and in my last play-through I used that path :)
(never found chitin boots it seems)
There aren't any (not intentional really). I know they may be listed by the console. If you run the dungeon with a starting point different from the predefined one, a number of areas open and there are rooms full of debug items for my play test runs - the one listed by console are in one test room :)
(why is there an in-the-wall red light near the "The Machine" sign?)
Because... bug.
(never found a way to help that one guy talk again)
I'm sure in the sequel you can :P (if ever - just kidding, not planned yet :) )
Play Time: 20:40:55
Monsters Killed: 362
Items Found: 749
Secrets Found: 34/34
20 hours!! wow!
And I wouldn't have bet 1€ (or 1$ if you prefer :) ) on anyone getting ALL the secrets! Congratulations!

Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Komag wrote:
SpoilerShow
(after hint) left ore running on fire plane for 2:50 and FINALLY it was all enriched, that's FOREVER! Should be more like 1 minute max, 30 seconds better. Or if it's a long time, a progress indicator of some kind
That's weird, in my playthrough, it took like approx 4-5s. Maybe Xanathar changed something along the way?