Cube text without the cube

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
zimberzimber

Cube text without the cube

Post by zimberzimber »

So i started creating a new map (my 1st actually) and i started scripting a bit, the Grimrock scripting help really helped me, but i still have some problems i need solving.
I need to make a script that shows a custom line of text the way the cube says it, but without the cube itself and outside the dream.
example: Going towards a gem, when close to it the 'cube' says "Don't touch that, mortal!" or something like that but just once.
Personally i think this would be a very useful script if someone is making a map where something supernatural talks to you.
I'd be very glad if someone figures out how to do this. Thank you! :D
LocalFire

Re: Cube text without the cube

Post by LocalFire »

Just clarify he wants a reducing text like the dream sequence rather than hudPrint
My Dungeons
Paths of the Earth: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5136
Beneath the Sands: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5216
Videos: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5443
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Komag, did you ever find a way to replicate and customize scrambletext?
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Komag

Post by Komag »

If you want the scramble text effect, I spent a long time and a ton of brain cells making that work, you can see the (extensive) code in the Grimrock Remake (and Master Quest) mods, and use it as much as you want (or are able). If you just want text in the middle of the screen and it doesn't have to scramble, that will be MUCH MUCH MUCH easier, just simple GUI scripting
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Komag wrote:If you want the scramble text effect, I spent a long time and a ton of brain cells making that work, you can see the (extensive) code in the Grimrock Remake (and Master Quest) mods, and use it as much as you want (or are able). If you just want text in the middle of the screen and it doesn't have to scramble, that will be MUCH MUCH MUCH easier, just simple GUI scripting
I actually need it to both scramble AND be in the middle.
does that appear in your remake?
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/230

thats the link to his remake, you can see all his scripts and he explains how they work, just grab the source files
My Dungeons
Paths of the Earth: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5136
Beneath the Sands: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5216
Videos: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5443
Komag

Post by Komag »

The scramble text is incredibly complex and advanced, so you might want to just at least start with regular text
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Komag wrote:If you want the scramble text effect, I spent a long time and a ton of brain cells making that work, you can see the (extensive) code in the Grimrock Remake (and Master Quest) mods, and use it as much as you want (or are able). If you just want text in the middle of the screen and it doesn't have to scramble, that will be MUCH MUCH MUCH easier, just simple GUI scripting
i saw your remake @_@
that broke my brain for a while @_@

EDIT: Could you post here a script where all i need to do is to insert what i want it to say after the scrambling? please, id be VERY happy if you would.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

I could see how a plug and play scramble test element could be very useful to the community.

Can we at least establish if there are any necessary files that will need to be present in the mod_assets folder, or can it be done with vanilla scripting?
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Komag

Post by Komag »

As I recall there are no external files, other than the requisite party hooks for the GUI stuff in the objects.lua. Most of the code I believe is in the lv12 "gui" script entity. But I really don't have time for the next couple of weeks to delve into it, got major RL stuff