[DEVELOPER DISCUSSION] One Room Round Robin 2 (SPOILERS)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Diarmuid

Re: [CLOSED / DISCUSS] One Room Round Robin 2!

Post by Diarmuid »

Ah great thanks.
SpoilerShow
By the way, load the dungeon at the start and do unitTests.completeRoom(1) in the console for fun.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

It might be a good idea for Authors to have a go through their rooms in this version. It is the last chance.(Avoid making any changes however, it could further delay release!) I plan on doing it, and thought I'd throw out the suggestion for the other authors.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Unfortunately, due to my insane work schedule, I can't even look at mine until Monday morning, about 8am est.
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

Diarmuid wrote:Ah great thanks.
SpoilerShow
By the way, load the dungeon at the start and do unitTests.completeRoom(1) in the console for fun.
That was cool :D
My Grimrock mod (LoG1): The Onkalo Project
My Android (and windows desktop) game: Balloon Gentleman
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

SpiderFighter wrote:Unfortunately, due to my insane work schedule, I can't even look at mine until Monday morning, about 8am est.
I'll probably finish preparing and double-checking things monday morning as well, so I was planning release around 12 / early afternoon. I can wait for your feeback. By the way, one thing I wished to add I just remembered and is not yet in the prerelease, is add some "lights" to your receptors puzzle that light them once a blob hits them - this way the player can understand which ones remain to trigger. (all lights shutting down once the puzzle is complete).
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Diarmuid wrote:
SpiderFighter wrote:Unfortunately, due to my insane work schedule, I can't even look at mine until Monday morning, about 8am est.
I'll probably finish preparing and double-checking things monday morning as well, so I was planning release around 12 / early afternoon. I can wait for your feeback. By the way, one thing I wished to add I just remembered and is not yet in the prerelease, is add some "lights" to your receptors puzzle that light them once a blob hits them - this way the player can understand which ones remain to trigger. (all lights shutting down once the puzzle is complete).
Don't the ports opening and closing provide that clue?
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

SpiderFighter wrote:
Diarmuid wrote:
Don't the ports opening and closing provide that clue?
Well, the doors open and close, but as you face the heads to click, you don't see which blobs are fired and where they go... Usually I just randomly click heads to open doors and then the one to fire a blob, and after a couple the end door just opens, without really looking at the puzzle or "thinking". But I remember the first time I tried it I thought I had to open all doors at once so that all blobs hit the receptors at the same time. One or two other testers also weren't sure how it worked, so something to mark the receptors you hit would allow a player to plan the doors switching to conciously open a line for a blob/receptor which hasn't been activated yet.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

They didn't stay open for me iirc, spidey. I had trouble with it because I didn't understand that triggered ones stay triggered. I thought I had to nail a specific sequence instead of just trigger the last one. Spent a good 20 minutes on it (I'm pretty daft, apparently). Diarmuid's suggestion could avoid anyone else misunderstanding the difficulty/solution. It is the first room and puzzle encountered after escaping the prison, and we don't want anyone to get stuck there!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Diarmuid wrote: Well, the doors open and close, but as you face the heads to click, you don't see which blobs are fired and where they go... Usually I just randomly click heads to open doors and then the one to fire a blob, and after a couple the end door just opens, without really looking at the puzzle or "thinking". But I remember the first time I tried it I thought I had to open all doors at once so that all blobs hit the receptors at the same time. One or two other testers also weren't sure how it worked, so something to mark the receptors you hit would allow a player to plan the doors switching to conciously open a line for a blob/receptor which hasn't been activated yet.
Ah, I understand what you're saying. Good looking out, my friend!

@msyblade: True. I can see where the confusion came in, then. It's actually a timing puzzle, not a sequence one. Well, it does have certain switches that need to be hit, but it's not complex at all. To be honest, it was a bit of a throwaway. I'm sorry you got stuck in there like that.
SpoilerShow
The idea is to simply raise all the portculliseseses at once.
Last edited by SpiderFighter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

SpiderFighter wrote:
Diarmuid wrote: Well, the doors open and close, but as you face the heads to click, you don't see which blobs are fired and where they go... Usually I just randomly click heads to open doors and then the one to fire a blob, and after a couple the end door just opens, without really looking at the puzzle or "thinking". But I remember the first time I tried it I thought I had to open all doors at once so that all blobs hit the receptors at the same time. One or two other testers also weren't sure how it worked, so something to mark the receptors you hit would allow a player to plan the doors switching to conciously open a line for a blob/receptor which hasn't been activated yet.
Ah, I understand what you're saying. Good looking out, my friend!

@msyblade: True. I can see where the confusion came in, then. It's actually a timing puzzle, not a sequence one. Well, it does have certain switches that need to be hit, but it's not complex at all. To be honest, it was a bit of a throwaway. I'm sorry you got stuck in there like that.
You know what, good thing I looked at that right now, the way it was setup up, you only needed to hit ANY receptor with a blob 4 times. So click 1 head to open any grate, quadruple-clik on the blob head to fire 4 blobs at once and puzzle solved... (obviously I'm fixing it).