[DEVELOPER DISCUSSION] One Room Round Robin 2 (SPOILERS)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
SpiderFighter

Re: [OPEN - SIGNUP / DISCUSS] One Room Round Robin 2!

Post by SpiderFighter »

Diarmuid wrote:Upload both, I'll try to figure it out.
Sounds good; thanks.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

SpiderFighter wrote:
Sounds good; thanks.
Wall text thing is super easy to fix. Thing is that the original wall is still there, and the "replaceWall = true" bit of the WallText definition only works at dungeon startup, not when you spawn it later. Trick is to remove the wall at the start with a sx_remove_wall element, and put a secret door to fake the wall. When removing the wall, also remove the secret door. I'll take care of it.

As for your room, fantastic work, really fun! One or two questions:
SpoilerShow
I loved the rocks puzzle and the "story" scrolls.

The blob puzzle, you only need to hit all receptors once, right, not necessarily at the same time? I was struggling quite a bit to try and open all doors at the same time and run to hit the launch switch...

The poison goro:
1. What happens when you get trapped in a corner? I hacked at him for a good 10 min, before going in the .lua and realizing he had 20 000hp. So basically, if you get trapped you reload? There should be some fail-safe mechanism. When you try to get him to shoot his poison bolt at the receptor for the potion recipe room, it's easy to get trapped, or in either of the little 1x1 rooms.

2. If you really have the patience to kill it, how do you go on opening the poison_bolt recptor room?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

SpiderFighter wrote:
Diarmuid wrote:
aaneton wrote:That's what I've been thinking as well. As spider and Isaac are almost done, and Xanathar will try to get it done, this means only flatline will probably be left out, but we need to draw a line somewhere indeed.
I'm done. Do you want me to upload the test file seen in the video, or the finished map with the bug?
That is a really neat room. 8-)
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

On spiderfighter's room:
SpoilerShow
Realized there was no swirl key? (Unless I missed out on something crucial). Made it to spawn at your feet once teleported out, same as jKos' room.

Fixed an alcove which was jumping ahead, you used an md_bookshelf_alcove instead of a temple_bookshelf_alcove.
Room is now merged in the main file with proper hooks added to the orrrManager.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Diarmuid wrote:
SpiderFighter wrote:
Sounds good; thanks.
Wall text thing is super easy to fix. Thing is that the original wall is still there, and the "replaceWall = true" bit of the WallText definition only works at dungeon startup, not when you spawn it later. Trick is to remove the wall at the start with a sx_remove_wall element, and put a secret door to fake the wall. When removing the wall, also remove the secret door. I'll take care of it.

As for your room, fantastic work, really fun! One or two questions:
SpoilerShow
I loved the rocks puzzle and the "story" scrolls.

The blob puzzle, you only need to hit all receptors once, right, not necessarily at the same time? I was struggling quite a bit to try and open all doors at the same time and run to hit the launch switch...

The poison goro:
1. What happens when you get trapped in a corner? I hacked at him for a good 10 min, before going in the .lua and realizing he had 20 000hp. So basically, if you get trapped you reload? There should be some fail-safe mechanism. When you try to get him to shoot his poison bolt at the receptor for the potion recipe room, it's easy to get trapped, or in either of the little 1x1 rooms.

2. If you really have the patience to kill it, how do you go on opening the poison_bolt recptor room?
SpoilerShow
Thanks...I'm glad you liked it. I figured it was pretty simple, and not really up to the level you guys have set. Thanks also for taking care of the wall_text. I have a similar thing in my own mod, and it doesn't have that problem, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

1. I'm on my way to work at the moment...first day, finally, but it's a half hour drive and I'm pulling 16 hours, so I won't be able to fix it until tomorrow. I'm guessing I'll use hidden_pressure_plates, triggered by the goro to pop up blockers one tile outside the 1x1 rooms to give the player room to squeak by, similar to how it's set up outside the Restricted Section. I'm sorry for not catching that; thanks. I'm also sorry you got trapped that long. :(
2. Reload? ;) If you think it will be a problem, we can increase the HP.
Isaac wrote:That is a really neat room. 8-)
Thanks, I appreciate it!

EDIT:

"The blob puzzle, you only need to hit all receptors once, right, not necessarily at the same time? I was struggling quite a bit to try and open all doors at the same time and run to hit the launch switch... "
SpoilerShow
You should only need to hit (from left to right) the 1st, 3rd, and last to open the grates, and the next to last to launch the blobs. If it's not working as intended, I'll look at it tomorrow. Thanks again!
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

To Spiderfighter:
SpoilerShow
Don't worry, I'll add a script for not getting trapped by the goro.
If you want it unkillable, a simple way would be to negate the damage done to it when damaged. For example, you hit it for 23, it gains 23 hp. I'll set it up.
The blob puzzle is working well, I just thought it was harder than it was.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Diarmuid wrote:To Spiderfighter:
SpoilerShow
Don't worry, I'll add a script for not getting trapped by the goro.
If you want it unkillable, a simple way would be to negate the damage done to it when damaged. For example, you hit it for 23, it gains 23 hp. I'll set it up.
The blob puzzle is working well, I just thought it was harder than it was.
Simple for you! :D I love the way you think. That's a really elegant solution, and I can't wait to see how you've set it up. I really wish I could script; I feel like my imagination is hampered because of my lack of ability.
Diarmuid wrote:On spiderfighter's room:
SpoilerShow
Realized there was no swirl key? (Unless I missed out on something crucial). Made it to spawn at your feet once teleported out, same as jKos' room.

Fixed an alcove which was jumping ahead, you used an md_bookshelf_alcove instead of a temple_bookshelf_alcove.
Room is now merged in the main file with proper hooks added to the orrrManager.
Sorry, I missed this yesterday morning while getting ready for work. Thanks for catching that, and having it spawn outside is probably the best way to deal with it, since
SpoilerShow
the player won't be able to re-enter the area once it's complete; thus, it could be missed.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Hey guys, things are going good, and we'll have a first beta ready for testing on Monday.

This first beta will be a closed test amongst the people who contributed to the project and wish to help testing the dungeon. We'll take notice of all little bugs and issues and such, and then issue a second beta approx. 1 week later, which we might open to external testers. If needed, we could check out a third beta 2 weeks later (Dec 15), if not we're aiming at a release around that time.

The two last rooms are almost done, but not enough to be in the first beta, but we have 95% of the rest to test, so we'll include them in the second test round.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Adding in the two rooms after the first round of playtesting should not be an issue, barring a direct conflict with another rooms scripting or asset ID's. Diarmuid has alpha tested every room individually upon submission, and found many small issues and tweaks to implement (With each authors blessing.) We are familiar with the individual peices, but how the flow and balance will perpetuate, dependant on the different possible paths taken by players, is completely unknown. I think I'm hoping we define the projects "personality" in this stage, I don't foresee many "bugs" left (outside of gameplay balance). Diarmuid is truly amazing at organizing resources and providing fast, effective solutions to problems and conflicts. The project is certainly in good hands,. . .A big part of the "troubleshooting" aspect of merging this many different works, has already been done by him.

Aaannnnd, just because I know he is far too humble to do so himself, check out his dev blog from the game he's making "Darkdale" (with Unity, for you tech nerds that are bound to ask.)
http://www.darkdale.net/2013/11/developer-update-4/
WATCH THE "UI interface" video! If you want to read the other dev blogs for his project, just goto darkdale.net and follow links. NOW, a disclaimer:

I'm not trying to disrespect anybody in any way, It could be viewed as tasteless to post that information here, meaning:

(PS.If you're any kind of new here, I tend to rant occasionally, but I sometimes have a cool, succinct point, although usually it's mind numbing nonsense; me holding a candle, and just blathering about unimportant issues. You never know till the end of the rant, so we'll see which side this one ends up on).

I shouldn't plug this game on the AH site. But this game is inspired by what Petri has accomplished in pursuing his dream. This is a special group, and a special community, and Petri built it. He hired this group, and found the dynamic they share together, and was able to make those crazy thoughts in his head materialize in front of us, and now, he's learned from the few things that didnt work, and is working to fix them forever with LoG 2. This is something that we all see and appreciate, it INSPIRES us. Well, if I only sound like a partial idiot (rather than a full blown moron), my advice is: BUY Legend of Grimrock 2. Available in July 2014! (I made that date up.) Then consider purchasing Darkdale (Available, March 2015!. . .(made that one up too!)) Enjoy the One Room Round Robin 2! It may be LoG 1's last hurrah! If you haven't had an opportunity to skim the rooms. . .WOW, these modders have gotten really good at this stuff over the last year! Just AMAZING. . .Everyone has such a different approach, when given the same tools, Youre gonna love it!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Thanks for the kind words, msyblade... :)

Allright, beta 1 is ready!

It's on the dropbox in .dat format, along with some notes. There's probably lots of stuff to do still, but it should be (I hope) playable from start to end. If you're on the ORRR2 project but do not have access to the dropbox, either PM me an email so I add you, or I can send you a direct link to the download.

Not everyone's required to test it, of course, and you can wait until a more stable beta2 build if you wish, but the more on it we are, the better of course ;).

woohoo, can't wait to get this thing on the rails...