MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
karadoc

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by karadoc »

I'm having trouble understanding the solution to the switches puzzle in The Caverns (Goromorg Temple II, level 10). I've worked out the answer, but I don't know why it works or how I was meant to work it out. I know how it works in the non-Master Quest version, and I thought I had the answer for this version as well - but my theory was wrong.

In the non-Master Quest version of the puzzle, it's something like this:
SpoilerShow
Some of the pillars in front of the switches are further from the wall than others. The pattern of the pillars matches the pattern that the switches need to be in.
But the Master Quest version is different, because
SpoilerShow
the pillars are all the same distance from the wall. I couldn't see anything special about the pillars at all.

But I thought I'd worked out a good answer anyway:
SpoilerShow
If you get rid of all your party's light sources so that the only light is coming from the wall torches, then the pillars cast a clear pattern of shadows on the switches. Two switches are clearly illuminated, and the others are in darkness. So I thought it was crystal clear that those two switches should be down and the rest should be up - or perhaps the other way around. I was so confident that that was the right answer that I spent ages walking around looking for a button or something that I needed to press, or some other lever. Eventually I gave up and just tried every combination of switches.
I eventually found the right answer, but even now that I know the answer I can't see why it makes sense. So I'm asking here, how is one meant to solve this puzzle?
Komag

Post by Komag »

It's actually
SpoilerShow
the same logic as the original puzzle, but you have look CLOSELY at the pillar positions, as they are only slightly offset, not a whole square as in the original.
There is a Toorum note that "forced" me to keep the puzzle roughly the same, so I just came up with a way to make it harder but consistent.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
karadoc

Post by karadoc »

Hmm. Ok, fair enough. I thought I would have got that though. I'm going to see if I've got a save game in that area so that I can take another look.

Thanks for the help.

(And thanks for the mod!)

[edit]
You're right (of course).
SpoilerShow
I guess I just wasn't looking at them from the right angle or something. I'm just surprised that even though I had the old puzzle in mind, I still didn't notice that it's essentially the same!
saigyo

Post by saigyo »

Please help: Level 9...
SpoilerShow
At central hub I have the Deamons firing ghost shells instead of poison and have opened the path the receptor but cant get out of the way fast enough of the ghost to get it to fire into the receptor. It always hits me. How do I get it to fire to the receptor? Thank you.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Use an item instead of your feet ;)
saigyo

Post by saigyo »

Ah of course!

Thank you so much for excellent mod. Still waiting for Grimrock 2 on Linux so getting my fix with your mod.
Dabby

Post by Dabby »

Hey Guys, can anyone explain me, how to use Lord Perel's Satchel? I simply don't get it. In the Note it says, his alchemist produced herbs in it while Lord Perel wrote Notes. Moreover it says, it must be stored in the hand. I tried everything, but my herbs (or one herb) just won't duplicate (I guess it works like duplicating herbs in LOG II ?? )
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Dabby wrote:Hey Guys, can anyone explain me, how to use Lord Perel's Satchel?
Simple: use it like a container.
Dabby wrote:In the Note it says, his alchemist produced herbs in it while Lord Perel wrote Notes.
Re-read that note:
I rue the loss of my letter satchel. Before we set
forth I had a mage place a minor enchantment on
it such that if it is filled with my papers and no
other object, then when the satchel is held in the
hand a tiny compartment unfolds, room enough to
conceal a small personal treasure. But Dranth was
using it at my bidding to gather some herbs while I
was writing, and I do not know where he or any of
the men may be or even if they are alive at all. At
least I had my ink and papers with me at the
time of our separation.

- Lord Perel
No mentioning of herb replication.
Dabby

Post by Dabby »

Thanks for the Answer :) So I have to fill the Satchel with his notes and somehow the Setchel will increase it's room to put some stuff in it or will it reveal Lord Perels Treasure ?

Greetings !

PS: I just passed the Chambers of Pits. The note in the Gap in front of the Entrance says something like "Let the Guardians summon / appear ... "
SpoilerShow
I already found the Secret Button to close the steady opening and closing Pits. My Question is: will something happen if I can manage it to Summon lot of Guardians in this Place? I already tried as long as possible and I tried to remove the blue ones OR the grey ones.
Komag

Post by Komag »

No, nothing special about that. You can farm them for XP, but I purposefully made them give you not much. 8-)