Legend of Grimrock - MASTER QUEST - PUBLIC RELEASE w/SOURCE

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Dr.Disaster

Re: Legend of Grimrock - MASTER QUEST - PUBLIC RELEASE w/SOU

Post by Dr.Disaster »

acwhammy wrote:Question about the Snail King and loot rank - how are you guys stuffing your inventory so you can't move, and then getting a rank? Don't you have to be walking onto the checkpoint to receive the rank? Congratulations on over 10,000! I'm not sure how you managed that. I think I need to get my strength up to carry more. I saved all of my books except for the vitality +'s so I could receive the level gain benefit.
Getting a rank when overburdend is not that hard. All you need to do is toss your filled containers to the ranking spot, walk their and then fill up your inventories.

The real feat it to reach 10k ratings without(!) being overburdend. I managed that once or twice and it requires each and every point of strength and load extension i could get from stats, skills and items. Also i picked the items with the best loot value to weight ratio first and then filled up with decreasing ratios til max load was reached.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

acwhammy:

Demiosis Domain is another great dungeon "of the same caliber", but it's the hardest one so far IMO
acwhammy

Post by acwhammy »

Why did I not received my manuals?

Ok so I'm playing two games right now, one is a 3rd walkthrough on Normal with level 37 characters. When I got the Globe of Tetherion there were 2 manuals sitting with it.

Then I started playing my other game which is four level 1 Minotaurs on Easy. When I got to the Globe there were no manuals!

Does this have to do with difficulty settings? If so, will I receive more manuals and/or other valuable items throughout the game on Hard mode? Or does this have to do with the level of characters or do other factors come into play?

I am trying to get the maximum amount of loot and I don't want to do a run through the game without knowing how this works, thanks!

ac
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

acwhammy wrote:Why did I not received my manuals?
Those books you can find beside the golden treasures are given out additional depending on what level average your characters are. AFAIR a party with character level average below 10 gets no books. Up to level 20 you will get 1 book and at level 20 and above you get 2 books.
germanny

Post by germanny »

Hey Disaster, who are you - Nether God? Damn, you know soo many things that i begin to wonder, really! xD
Mostly your answers point to success. :ugeek:
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker
acwhammy

Post by acwhammy »

Awesome! Thanks for the fast response. Let's see if I can stump you this time.

Are the manuals generated when you enter the dungeon level? Or are they generated after you push the secret button?

I am thinking about leaving the button alone, then coming back after I'm level 10+ and pushing it to get a manual. Is that possible?

ac
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

germanny wrote:Hey Disaster, who are you - Nether God? Damn, you know soo many things that i begin to wonder, really! xD
Mostly your answers point to success. :ugeek:
Nah just had some deeper insights into MQ beta testing it. For example about those extra books i wondered myself back then so Komag filled me in on it :D
acwhammy wrote:Awesome! Thanks for the fast response. Let's see if I can stump you this time.

Are the manuals generated when you enter the dungeon level? Or are they generated after you push the secret button?

I am thinking about leaving the button alone, then coming back after I'm level 10+ and pushing it to get a manual. Is that possible?
I could check back with MQ source but i'm pretty sure to remember that the dungeon is generated when the party enters it and generation is based on character levels. For example a playthru at clvl 35+ will generate Fighter Challenge ogres that are able to OHK any character while being almost impossible to damage in melee. It's really something to see a Flury of Slashes triple-hit doing three times zero damage :o
Komag

Post by Komag »

The "random" books are generated usually on the same level you can find them, but quite a bit earlier, so there's no temptation to replay and try for a different book because it would be too much to replay.

They are set up to almost for sure be useful, so it detects what skills you have at least 1 rank in and less than 50 and only possibly creates a book (or two) based on those that would good for at least someone in the party. But if you were, say, level 48 in some skill when you entered that dungeon level, and the books were generated, and you then got a new character level and raised that skill 50, then the book could end up worthless. But that rare scenario should almost never happen.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
acwhammy

Post by acwhammy »

Awesome, thanks again guys. I was wondering about that, too, Komag. If the books were geared towards your characters. I'm running 4 minotaur fighters right now and the last thing I wanted was a book on Fire Magic lol....

ac
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

I learned little bit about this add-on and decided to try to play... But I do not really like "Quick action bar" Can I hide it?