LEGEND OF GRIMROCK - MASTER QUEST
March 29, 2013 - version 1.2
Legend of Grimrock - Master Quest is a complete re-working of the entire original game with tons of new puzzles, updated dungeon designs, unique story elements, and more. It has been referred to as "Grimrock on Steroids".
The source files are available as a separate download on Grimrock Nexus (grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/239), including the main dungeon editor file and many supporting files and notes about how I set up (and fixed!) all the complex systems listed below.
- The overarching dungeon layout is similar, but there are lots of local changes to specific rooms, and some completely new areas have been added as well.
- Original assets were used for the most part, with a few notable exceptions (such as Daniv's excellent wall set variations).
- Most major items have been moved.
- Puzzles have been generally "upgraded".
- The base difficulty level is increased:
* stronger monsters
* more monsters
* trickier puzzles (some with added clues)
- The difficulty (and XP awarded) scales up dramatically according to the average level of the champions at the start, so you can import your original Grimrock dungeon party and continue your adventure and advancement.
- There is increased replayability as high-level imported parties can expect to gain approximately 9 to 10 additional levels, and a variety of new skill tomes also add to the progression.
- The dungeon scaling is designed to work well for parties starting out from levels 1 to 25 or so, with the high end earning their way up to around level 35 by the end. This provides a unique chance to max-out multiple skills which really changes the strategy and approach to playing Grimrock.
- A whole new "loot" system has been added which tells you how much wealth your party has accumulated from the dungeon!
- Every item in the game has judiciously been assigned a loot value, adding a new dimension to inventory decisions about what to toss and what to keep.
- Your party will periodically be "ranked" and titled according to your current loot total, with a final accounting and verdict issued near the end of the game.
- An entirely new side storyline has been added (Lord Perel's failed expedition), and other lengthy writings have been expanded upon or added containing new lore and background fiction.
- Earthquakes play a bigger role and affect the party, monsters, and the surrounding environment.
- Spell scrolls now grant a small skill or stat bonus, so they are not totally worthless.
- A new hidden boss fight awaits discovery!
- The original 71 secrets have been greatly expanded to 120.
- There is an extended end-game denouement that takes place after the events of the original last battle, ultimately leading to a final frenetic escape from Mount Grimrock.
- Many other small changes, additions, improvements, etc, have been made to the original labyrinth.
This project began as a precise re-creation of the original Legend of Grimrock dungeon with all its puzzles and scripting, largely as an exercise in mastering the editor. As I neared completion of that monumental task, I asked myself "Self, aren't people bored of the original game by now?". So I figured, why not pull a "Zelda" and create a changed-up re-imagined harder version and call it the Master Quest?
There are some known issues (mostly with how dreams work and how the final boss interaction and battle works), but for the most part things will feel very familiar to the original game while offering a ton of fresh changes and cool extras to give you a revitalized Legend of Grimrock experience!
Feel free to contact me (official Grimrock forums) with any comments or bugs/problems you find, how you liked or didn't like the puzzles, clues, fights, story, etc, or anything else.
PS - If your console is enabled you have the option to turn on all the debug print messages I used to figure out how things were working or not. Simply press Z and X at the same time to turn them on (and off again). Warning - the debug messages may contain many spoilers.
PPS - This mod requires Grimrock version 1.3.6 or higher. (Macs should have 1.3.7 or higher to avoid the "out of memory" bug)
For you Secret-Hunters out there, here is a chart that lists the secrets-per-level:
Level Secrets SubTotal
3..........12........23 (3 on lv4)
4..........13........36 (1 on lv5)
5..........8..........44 (1 on lv6)
6..........14........58 (5 on different levels)
7..........14........72 (4 on lv8 )
9..........14........99 (1 on lv10)
10........14........113 (3 on lv11)
A full list of secrets and collection items (with pictures and detailed descriptions of how to get each one) can be found here:viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5214
- Radar6590: item
- Wanderer: item
- Phitt: many models
- JohnWordsworth: code, GMT
- Xanathar: code, item
- Ixnatifual: code, item
- Mutman: item
- grimwold: code
- LordYig: code, item
- Daniv/Sutekh: code, textures
- wallasaurus: model
- Isaac: model
- Leki: monster
- Skuggasveinn: model
- Midnight Syndicate: music
- Dr.Disaster (extremely helpful!)
- J. Trudel
1.2 - Mar 29, 2013 - fixed a couple more minor bugs:
- wake-up crash happened again in a very rare circumstance of picking up a certain invisible utility item.
...stamped out for good now, item cannot be picked up, and script won't crash anymore regardless.
- in rare cases it was possible for the portcullis in the entrance area of "Deserted Tunnels" on Lv5 to be prematurely closed.
...now an extra button is provided just in case.
- it was just barely possible to get into the room on Lv8 with the plate cuirass and the crazy up-down door, and then be stuck inside.
...now an extra button on the inside is provided as a means of escape.
1.1 - Mar 21, 2013 - fixed minor bugs and issues:
- wake-up crash if holding scroll of enchant shock arrow
- method of version checking
- "gift of sharp light" clues
1.0 - Mar 16, 2013 - public release!