Just wondering

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
LocalFire

Just wondering

Post by LocalFire »

I was wondering if anyone has considered animating the statue models.

I had a great idea where you pull a lever to open a door and the statues flanking it come to life and attack you

I think that would be awesome, but well beyond my skills

Anyone up to the challenge?
My Dungeons
Paths of the Earth: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5136
Beneath the Sands: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5216
Videos: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5443
LordGarth

Re: Just wondering

Post by LordGarth »

I was thinking of doing that myself. I just have to be able to animate new monster models.

LG
Dungeon Master and DOOM will live forever.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Yeah, if we could animate. . . New monsters, statues, altars. . .u name it! Wordsworth is working on it. If he succeeds. Victory gentlemen!(And knowing the guy, im guessing, he will pull this off. For ALL of us. "Thanx john!, u frickin rock!"
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

I was thinking about it and with some changes to the model (remove the base etc) couldn't the spear statue be animated with the skeleton warrior animations (I'm not sure how this works so sorry if thats a stupid idea)
My Dungeons
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Unfortunately, it's a bit harder than just assigning the animation to the model. An animated mesh has to have a 'skeleton' underneath it which is a simplified representation of the model and acts a lot like the human skeleton really (when your arm moves, the flesh on it moves too). The artist has to match every single point on the model to one or more bones in the skeleton (there might be 40 bones in a skeleton representing a person say). Then the animations just have to move the skeleton and the mesh will move too.

So, to get the statue meshes to work with the Skeleton animations you would have to do the following;

1. Export the statue as a mesh.
2. Load the statue into a 3D modeller and create a skeleton that is exactly the same as the skeleton warrior mesh.
3. 'Rig' the mesh by mapping the points of the mesh to the bones on the skeleton.
4. Load the model back into Grimrock with the skeleton.

Not saying it's impossible by any means - and not having to actually generate the animations means it's less work than making a whole new monster from scratch, but there is still a lot of hard work that would need to be done for this to happen!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

Ah I see, thanks
My Dungeons
Sutekh

Post by Sutekh »

Sutekh and I had the same thought while working on our own mod, but quickly realized how hard it would be. I was still keen on the idea of 'living statues', so I took a slightly different approach and created a marble skeleton warrior:
SpoilerShow
I've added it to our toy shop if anyone wants it. ;)

Daniv
Leki

Post by Leki »

Cool - now show me the gladiator statue :twisted:
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

Sutekh wrote:Sutekh and I had the same thought while working on our own mod, but quickly realized how hard it would be. I was still keen on the idea of 'living statues', so I took a slightly different approach and created a marble skeleton warrior:
SpoilerShow
I've added it to our toy shop if anyone wants it. ;)

Daniv

A marble gorromorg might work, trigger spawns him in and destroys the gorromorg statue, that could be cool
My Dungeons
Sutekh

Post by Sutekh »

> Marble Goromorg <
SpoilerShow
There you go, I think it's working - the only problem is the shield is lost when you clone a Goromorg, but I'm sure I remember someone found a solution to that?

Daniv