[MOD] The CHAOS Key

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Pandafox

Re: [MOD] The CHAOS Key

Post by Pandafox »

hi,
SpoilerShow
There are 3 secrets doors to open on the "prepare to fight" room ;)
And then, put 3 objects on the 3 plates
Jkiller

Post by Jkiller »

Pandafox wrote:hi,
SpoilerShow
There are 3 secrets doors to open on the "prepare to fight" room ;)
And then, put 3 objects on the 3 plates
Wow, finally found it, I can't believe I missed the first switch. Thanks alot!
severgates

Post by severgates »

Hi Pandafox.
The Chaos Key is even better than The Master Key (which is in my Top 5 of LOG Mods), congratulations for a excellent work :)

I have a question about Deep Trip part
SpoilerShow
I've drop myself down to lvl 8, solved all riddles regarding green gem there and got back upwards. But I have a problem with a room on lvl 4, where are 9 pressure plates (which are pressed only by items, not while walking). There are 3 torches/torch holders attached to the wall, which seem to be turn on/off after pressing plates. Three questions about that:
1. Is it a secret or obligatory part to progress through?
2. All torches are shining so I assume that I should put them out?
3. What is the correct combination of plates to solve the riddle (if it is a riddle and not a red herring)?
Pandafox

Post by Pandafox »

hi Severgates ,

sorry for this late answer.
well....

about the deep trip.
You probably solved this part (with the plates and torches) because if you didn't, you can't continue to the level 8 :mrgreen:
When the good plates are switched, the 3 torches are on fire and then a door opens.
Behind this door there is a button to open the "wall grating" doors and you can fall down into the pit to level 8...

you did it
severgates

Post by severgates »

Finished.
Play Time: 17:29:13 (not bad, but I expected better)
Treasures found: 17/22 (somehow missed 5- don't know where)
Skulls found- 4
Tiles moved- 36485
Melee attacks performed- 6847
Spells cast- 840

Played with imported lvl 5 party on normal mode (when finished party was at lvl 16). I didn't used Thunder Bow (my Rogue was trained in assasination).

Short summary:
SpoilerShow
1. Mod focused on combat (sometimes very heavy)- I still wonder how somebody on this forum was able to finish this on hard with default party in 12:30 hours time. Man, you rule!
2. Ironically this mod is less "chaotic" than The Master Key IMHO , where sometimes I had serious problems with finding proper keys and ways to go. Of course I was lost there too (mainly on levels 3-5) but always was able to find solution.
3. Most hardcore/favourite FIGHT parts:
- Lvl 10 with hordes FIre and Ice Uggardians- Dragon fight and 3 Ogres in one room
- Lvl 9 with Dragon Fight- reaally scary, running near walls and avoiding all those big motherf.ckers was hard, but satisfaction after killing all of them was immense
- Lvl 8 (including The Deep Trip part). Most of Grimrock players hate spiders, but I love to fight against them- The Deep Trip is one of the most epic fights in this mod
- and the winner is- OF COURSE THE MOST EPIC COMBAT IN WHOLE MOD- LVL 1 battle against swarm of monsters. Man, that was really hard and loong (but when i found room with teleporter in NE corner epic battle turned into easy fight- i lured monters into room, closed doors and killed them one by one)
4. I didn't liked:
- feeling of emptiness in lvl 9
- lvl 3 part with shooting skeleton archers and moving walls- annoying
- lvl 7 and lvl 11 respawning skeletons with no XP for killing them- that sucked a lot
- ice dragon in lvl 13- I wasted almost an hour for killing this bastard
- final fight was irritating with those respawning mummies- you could really create something more intriguing.

What i really liked:
- solution was always near and when I get lost it was always my fault (I was to lazy to see the map). This is what annoyed me in The Master Key, where I often couldn't figure out proper solution.
- Ambient music was great (I am fan of metal, but I also love to listen good ambient) and fit into the climate of mod perfectly
- I don't like too complicated puzzles- puzzles here are sometimes hard, but not impossible to solve
- some cool stuff to buy in shops- great idea
Final summary:
Along Komag's Master Quest the best mod I've played. Congratulations.
Katie Rose

Post by Katie Rose »

Pandafox wrote:no, the solid key way can't be achived if you didn't opened the green windows first.
SpoilerShow
in fact, a lot of players are lost at the same place, can't find the second plate.
I don't know why because it is really not difficult, the way is not hidden :lol:

ok then, when you are at the 35 seconds puzzle, go back into the teleporter.
There, go back to the 2 stairs, and go to the stairs up ;)
I am lost here too, but I don't know what you mean by "the 35 seconds puzzle".
rons

Post by rons »

Hello people, i finally registered after all this time, loving this dungeon, however:
SpoilerShow
Stuck at level 4 where there are double doors, i managed to trap 3 enemies to get 1 key, but i am hopelessly lost when it comes to the 2nd door.
paulclementi

Post by paulclementi »

I have read the posts for the green window puzzle and still don't understand where the plates are located. I have found the two plates by the 35 second puzzle and the one plate by the riddle that tells you to look for the other one. I have tried throwing items on the two 35 second puzzles and then running up to the window plate and throwing something on it, but nothing happens. I am not sure what I am missing. Is there a more comprehensive walk through for this MOD. I really like it but I am about to give up unless someone can add some support.

Thank you.
Pandafox

Post by Pandafox »

hi,

if I remember well, you need to put something (any object) on the plates
paulclementi

Post by paulclementi »

Already tried putting objects on the plates. Nothing happened to the the green windows