[MOD] The One Room Dungeon - Round 1 - RELEASED

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Skuggasveinn

Re: [MOD] The One Room Dungeon - Round 1 - RELEASED

Post by Skuggasveinn »

I have uploaded the source of the ORRR1 to the Nexus, its under files > optional files.

Skuggaveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Dhomochevsky

Post by Dhomochevsky »

Sorry if i do some english mistakes. After RRR2 i play first part. Great job too. I found 4/4 treasures and 12/15 secrets and i spend about 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete.
Only few things about this mod, my favourite room was Morpheus room. Seems simple but is the perfect example about a great idea and original great development. John Wordsworth, you always do a great job, on RRR2 your room was great too.
On torch room i'm not sure if this is a bug
SpoilerShow
i found secret wall but seems don't count like a secret.
On forge room first time i put gem on altar the game crashes, on my next attempt works fine.
On library room the solution was obvious but clues and explanation can send you to a wrong way. A little confused in my opinion. Anyway a good puzzle.
I love AH treasure, really funny :D and i have nostalgy when i see more Toorum's notes on Antti's room.

My congratulations to all developers!!
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I just finished it and I needed to cheat a little bit like at Billick's puzzle and Red/Blue soldiers. The scroll mage puzzle was impossible, so was Anti's snake. It reminded me of a very fustrating Jet Set Willy game. The secret button on the frozen wall with torch was too well hidden. I have no clue if I did something wrong in the torch room. I tried all the 12 possible torches with the same result, namely 1 torch. I loved Skuggasvein and John's puzzle. Took me a long time to find out how to kill the purple blobs.
falcotron

Post by falcotron »

I loved everything.

The super-tiny button hidden behind the torch was annoying, and it would have been nice to know how many secrets there were in the gem juggling puzzle in advance (I got 3 of them, and didn't know there were 2 more until I came here), and the APPLE ][ Snake game really needed to be controlled with left/right/A/Z instead of A/D/W/S so I could use my decades-old muscle memory. :)

But those are all minor quibbles. Some creative stuff here, especially the mirror puzzle (which didn't even feel like the kind of thing you could mod into this game) and the Morpheus room.
falcotron

Post by falcotron »

Dhomochevsky wrote:On forge room first time i put gem on altar the game crashes, on my next attempt works fine.
I got that crash too. I think it crashes if you pick up the first gem immediately after killing the golem, but I'm not sure, I couldn't reproduce exactly the sequence of events. Anyway, the game loads up fast enough that a crash isn't too annoying. :)
Komag

Post by Komag »

Glad you enjoyed it - it was fun to be a part of that.

Round 2 is a whole other world, tons bigger and more complex and amazing and impressive.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
astronuno

Post by astronuno »

My review of this mod... BEWARE, THERE ARE SPOILERS :twisted:
So, WHY START WITH AN OGRE??? :shock: :shock:
The Rooms started very easy, but the game began to intensify by Room 4 (which, by the way, was so scary beacuse of all those scary noises! I literally screamed :o
I liked Room 4, with the Plants Vs. Zombies reference :lol: :lol:
The Golem from the Frozen Labyrinth was a interesting mix of the Warden and the Ogre, but the Great Snake of the North was the collest enemy I've seen (congratulations to its creator!) :D

Ok, what's more to say?...
Funny thing: in Room 8 (Winter Halls), the first plays I actually used spells to open all doors, then for the Ice Shards I thought they couldn't be destroyed (I didn't even hit them) the by mistake I hit them and surprise! A magic orb! Then, beacuse Poison Bolt was upgraded, the secret door wouldn't open, then I... open the dungeon with the editor... and realized I could use a Bell Slime to generate the spell! And I kneeeeeeeeew the Ice Lizard would move :shock:

Now, other stuff.
In the Great Snake of the North Room, there are unnecessary commas in the rightmost texts: "...that waking, the Great Snake..."
There is a bug(?) that causes the player to get 6 treasures. One from the secret alcove in Jelly Juggling Room (removing the key and placing the Golden Crown triggers it), the other is in the Grimforge, by placing the Golden Crown on the feet of the Goromorg Statue in the secret room.
And right after triggering the ending scene, the first text does not fit the screen (some letters are offscreen). Oh, and the ending image is very cool!!!
And, by the way, who would ever though to hit rumblings? And that they would hold secrets? :D :D

Finally, secrets!! I've replayed a few times and I cannot find the other 2 secrets. This is the list of Room and number of secrets:
R1 - 1
R2 - 0
R3 - 0
R4 - 2
R5 - 0
R6 - 1
R7 - 2
R8 - 0
R9 - 4
R10 - 1
R11 - 0
R12 - 0
R13 - 0
R14 (Torch Room) - 0
R15 (Grimforge) - 1
R16 (Morpheus) - 1
R17 (Great Snake of the North) - 0
R18 - 0

Time to finish.
This was a fun-fear adventure. I do enjoy room-like puzzles and games, and this one was very intense! Congratulations to all the modders! :D
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

I know I'm really late to this party. Been playing ORR 2 for ages (still my all time favorite mod) and just stumbled onto this one so thought I'd give it a shot. Leaning on everything I've learned from other games, I felt I had a shot at this. Well, I am truly stumped and it seems to be where no one else has gotten stuck.
SpoilerShow
I'm at the message that says surrender weapon to enter. First off, I only have 2 items. A hammer and a treasure. I dropped them both. I tried dropping inside the square I'm standing in. I tried dropping in the square in front. I tried dropping in the square behind. I even tried casting a darkness spell thinking back to one of the rooms in ORR 2. Nothing works. I can't go forward and I can't go back. There are no buttons on the wall that I can see either. Help.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Is there no alcove or altar to put them on?
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Komag wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:26 pm Is there no alcove or altar to put them on?
Nothing. On the left wall is a message saying to give up weapons and on the right wall is a demon head. Behind me is one gate and in front of me is the other gate and I'm trapped between the two.

I've tried staring at the demon head a length of time as in the original game and have even tried clicking on the demon nose as in ORR 2. Like I said, I've tapped into every possible "solution" I can think of. There is literally nothing left to do.

Can this be a bug?